Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2019, 04:06 AM   #41
KULTULZ

Post Re: y-block blow by..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post

It might be worthwhile to copy most '70's or so Ford systems: That is, fresh air into the engine through one valve cover, then fumes out the other valve cover through the PCV valve into the intake manifold (the system on your car will leave stagnant fumes/condensation under your valve covers, allowing for possible sludge and rust).

Do those nice valve covers have pads to drill holes to add rubber grommets for the PCV valve and fresh air inlet? Or hide them on the back sides? If you do this, you will need to block the oil fill tube with a solid cap so no air flows through. Also, OEM PCV hoses were larger than on your car for better flow.
What you are saying is correct in regard to design (1965 up), but you will lose the original appearance of the OEM install.

The 1960 up FYB PCV design is adequate (IMO) for the engine. There is a baffle on the underneath of the valley pan to direct air flow to the cylinder heads. You would also have to fabricate baffles for the rocker covers with the later design.

If the late OEM System is installed correctly, evacuation should be more than adequate, again IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valley Pan- 64 2V LT 292 2V _4.jpg (103.0 KB, 17 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:16 AM   #42
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog565 View Post

So, what needs to be done to Fix this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

Because of your intake type (plenum hanging over valley cover). there will have to be a few modifications. I am sure that is what the original owner attempted.

Quote:

So, what needs to be done to Fix this problem?
Because of your intake type (plenum hanging over valley cover). there will have to be a few modifications.

Where the problem here is that the PASS CAR had the ROAD DRAFT SYSTEM mounted on the LF engine skirt (BIRD used road draft tube) and EDEL made no allowance for either a tube or PCV. The intake plenum overhangs at that spot.

To begin, using the OEM PCV design, you will have to find a later PV valley pan and offset the plumbing (elbow) from under the plenum to where you can fabricate correct plumbing.

IMO, the system needs to be hidden as much as possible for appearance.

Do you live in Pittsburgh or an outlying area?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:37 AM   #43
reddog565

Default Re: y-block blow by..

I live east of city, Monroeville...
reddog565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #44
40 Deluxe

Quote:
What you are saying is correct in regard to design (1965 up), but you will lose the original appearance of the OEM install.

The 1960 up FYB PCV design is adequate (IMO) for the engine. There is a baffle on the underneath of the valley pan to direct air flow to the cylinder heads. You would also have to fabricate baffles for the rocker covers with the later design.

If the late OEM System is installed correctly, evacuation should be more than adequate, again IMO.
I agree, the PCV style valley pan would be an easy install but just assumed it would be near impossible to find one.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #45
40 Deluxe

Quote:
So, what needs to be done to
Fix this problem?
Since you drive the car daily in good weather, the fix may be to modify a set of original valve covers for a PCV system. The covers are very easy to swap out so just put your fancy ones on for shows, and the OEM ones for driving. Glue the gaskets to the covers and put a little high temp grease on the head surface so the gaskets don't stick.
Then if someone wants a ride, they won't need a gas mask!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #46
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: y-block blow by..

OK ...

I readily admit that I am extremely CDO (correct alphabetical order of OCD).

What you are describing would blend perfectly with a external rocker arm lube kit. I see your point if it was a beater or truck application. I am sure the OP wants a clean driver without having to change rockers overs on a regular basis. But this engine has three deuces and is partially dressed.
Please don't hate me ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #47
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: y-block blow by..

Look what I found in an older post -

Y-Blockhead has a perfect install. I am not sure if the EDEL is a 553 or 573, but everything fits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Y-Blockhead _2.jpg (43.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Y-Blockhead _1.jpg (76.0 KB, 94 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-17-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: RE-CAPTURE PHOTO
Old 11-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #48
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post

I agree, the PCV style valley pan would be an easy install but just assumed it would be near impossible to find one.
They seem readily available on evil-Bay and other sources.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #49
Hot Rod Reverend

Quote:
Kultulz, what pictures or other information do you have on the 1960 and up design? Ford made only three valley pans that I am aware of... the early (1954) valley pan that only had the long tube for oil fill/breather at the front, the pan that came out in 1955 with the ECJ Y block that introduced a downdraft tube that exited at the bell housing (this is the same pan with the rear baffle that many convert to use with PCV in one form or another), and the E code pan that had both a dish for the dual four intake AND a provision for the same downdraft tube at the bell housing. I have disassembled quite a few Y blocks and ran several over the years but have never seen the fourth that you are describing. Did it have a provision for a PCV or some other equipment at the rear of the pan?

EDIT: I have seen the style that included a curved/bent oil fill tube to make room for a radiator overflow tank - these all had the oil baffle in the rear as well like the 55 ECJ version...

Last edited by Hot Rod Reverend; 11-17-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Hot Rod Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #50
reddog565

A lot of good input guys! As I recall my valley pan only had the front baffle in it. I remember that cuz I had a difficult time getting it into the block.I don't recall there being any type of baffle on the rear of it. Could this be causing an issue? Also I forgot to mention I have about 18 to 20 lb of vacuum at idle. And the gauge is reading all the way up in the green zone meaning engine is good. So I'm quite sure it's getting enough vacuum..
reddog565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #51
blucar

I have had a lot of experience with the Ford Y-block's, have had one or more in my life since 1959, currently have three F100's, '59- 63.
Many years ago I found out that the pre '63 Y-blocks were very dirty engine because the engine had poor ventilation.
In most cases I harvested the PCV systems from a '63 or later F series truck, installing same on my 56-57 T-birds and 59 and later F series trucks. I have one '59 F100 4x that I used a variation of a GM PCV in the right side valve cover. Blocked off the road draft tube located on the lower left side of the block, used a vented/filtered cap on the oil fill tube and a GM PCV and grommet in the valve cover.
I located the PCV between two rocker arms and made a baffle for the bottom of the valve cover, at high RPM's there is a lot of oil flying around the rocker arm chamber.

In order for a PCV system to work it must be able to draw fresh air through the crankcase/valley, (filtered cap on fill pipe) then into the intake, via the PCV, where it is consumed via the intake/fuel process.
Most people want to over engineer the system..
Old 11-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #52
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post

Kultulz
YO!

Quote:
... what pictures or other information do you have on the 1960 and up design? Ford made only three valley pans that I am aware of... the early (1954) valley pan that only had the long tube for oil fill/breather at the front, the pan that came out in 1955 with the ECJ Y block that introduced a downdraft tube that exited at the bell housing (this is the same pan with the rear baffle that many convert to use with PCV in one form or another), and the E code pan that had both a dish for the dual four intake AND a provision for the same downdraft tube at the bell housing. I have disassembled quite a few Y blocks and ran several over the years but have never seen the fourth that you are describing. Did it have a provision for a PCV or some other equipment at the rear of the pan?

EDIT: I have seen the style that included a curved/bent oil fill tube to make room for a radiator overflow tank - these all had the oil baffle in the rear as well like the 55 ECJ version...
Like you said, the 54 design which was replaced by the 55/56 design. No breather provisions. The 55/57 BIRD had its own as they used a road draft tube. The 57/ FORD had a road raft tube (57 8V and SC only). And the PCV pan was introduced in 1960 on the PASS CAR. Not all cars received PCV and most were road draft. And the LT began in 1963 I believe. I got rid of most of my cataloging some years ago.

Does that explain it adequately and what pictures would you like to see (if I have them)?

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #53
Hot Rod Reverend

Quote:
YO!

And the PCV pan was introduced in 1960 on the PASS CAR. Not all cars received PCV and most were road draft.

Does that explain it adequately and what pictures would you like to see (if I have them)?
The PCV pan is the one I would like to see photos of... I don't think I have ever laid eyes on one. I guess I always assumed that Ford used the 55 Tbird/ECJ version and adapted a PCV fitting to an existing design. Go figure.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #54
KULTULZ

Quote:

The PCV pan is the one I would like to see photos of... I don't think I have ever laid eyes on one. I guess I always assumed that Ford used the 55 Tbird/ECJ version and adapted a PCV fitting to an existing design. Go figure.
The first photos will be the PASS CAR (60/62) pan with the modified oil fill tube (to allow for the cooing system surge tank).

The second the 63/64 292 LT pan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valley Pan - C0AE 6519-A - Filler Tube Modified.jpg (18.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Valley Pan- 64 2V LT 292 2V _1.jpg (75.8 KB, 24 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #55
darrell

these pans are all the same except for filler spout including the 55 tbird.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #56
dmsfrr

Another difference in Y-block valley pans with a road draft fitting at the back...

There are different outside lengths of the straight oil filler tubes. Most T-Bird valley pan tubes are approx 6 to 6.5 inches long from the top surface of the valley cover, on other vehicles they are approx 8 inches long.
Presumably because there's more room under the hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valley pan, bottom.jpg (66.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg valley pan, road draft tube hole.jpg (46.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-18-2019 at 07:51 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #57
Hot Rod Reverend

Ok, so there is not a pan made from 1960 on that was specifically for PCV? lol now I am confused. I have the pan that dmsfrr shows (from a 1957 Ford) but I installed the PCV plumbing that Kultulz shows in both pictures above (albeit one has the crazy bend in the oil spout for a radiator overflow tank and the other one is straight). Is not the pan on the right in Kultulz's post the same pan as the one that dmsfrr pictures?

dmsfrr - did not know that the T bird pans had an oil spout 1/5" shorter, but it surely makes sense.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #58
KULTULZ

Quote:

Ok, so there is not a pan made from 1960 on that was specifically for PCV? lol now I am confused. I have the pan that dmsfrr shows (from a 1957 Ford) but I installed the PCV plumbing that Kultulz shows in both pictures above (albeit one has the crazy bend in the oil spout for a radiator overflow tank and the other one is straight). Is not the pan on the right in Kultulz's post the same pan as the one that dmsfrr pictures?

dmsfrr - did not know that the T bird pans had an oil spout 1/5" shorter, but it surely makes sense.
The pan was the same for either road draft or PCV. Not all cars received PCV. It was limited to state emission laws, such as CA or NY for instance. The same pan(s) were used for either application.

The earlier pans that had the actual road draft tube at the rear of the pan can be used for a PCV conversion. Same basic design.

Does this help? I seem to not being able to describe correctly ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCV-CCV System _2 - 1961-62 Pass Car.jpg (73.8 KB, 15 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #59
KULTULZ

Here is more info that you may find helpful -

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-19-2019, 04:29 AM   #60
KULTULZ

Question Re: y-block blow by..

Did I explain it to your satisfaction Rev? Haven't heard anything ...

- DISCLAIMER -