Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #21
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: Slamming into first gear

It’s either your clutch not disengaging because of adjustment, or failed clutch lever, or your pilot brg needs changing.
Both are common problems. To change the pilot brg, you have to pull the engine or rear end.
Rule out the linkage and adjustment first. Easy fix. Good luCo.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #22
rivcokid

Ok - I inspected the clutch and lever and they looked fine. The clutch engages about 1 inch or so off of the floor, and disengages about 3-4 inches from my foot. I am actually having the issue going into 2nd and 3rd also, but not as often.
rivcokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #23
Jim Brierley

A little grinding is normal because the trans has no syncronizers. Remove some of the free-play and before trying to go into 1st, push the clutch all the way down and wait several seconds to let the gears slow or stop. I usually put it into 1st before coming to a complete stop to avoid the problem you are having. Practise makes perfect.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #24
rivcokid

Jim - I guess I'm not getting it. This is more than a little grinding that just started. I've tried waiting for .5 - 20 seconds at various times, and have had no real luck with making it better. The clutch is floored whenever I stop and try to put it into 1st. Whenever I have tried to put it into gear with the car still moving, no matter how slow it is going, it's always complained. I see the efficacy of the clutch potentially needing adjustment. Also, the idle speed is at almost dead. I don't have a way of measuring the actual rpms, but I believe if I tried to slow it any more the engine would die. That said, it is acting like trying to shift when the idle is too high and I am more cognizant of maintaining a low idle speed. Thanks. I'll figure out how to do the clutch adjustment and see if that helps!
Old 07-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #25
Jacksonlll

Set the linkage so the clutch is engaged at the 2 inch point. If that does not work, it’s the pilot brg.
You will need a small jack to adjust the linkage, but be sure you are not being fooled by a cracked lever. If it happened all at once, it is probably the lever. A binding pilot brg would show itself over time.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #26
Jacksonlll

Start it in first gear, then slide it into neutral, then back into first. It will probably clash, meaning that your input shaft is being driven when the clutch is pushed to the floor.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #27
rivcokid

Thanks Jacksoniii! I'm going to play with it tomorrow before it hits 106 degrees!
Old 07-29-2020, 05:21 PM   #28
sphanna

Until you get this resolved as to the real problem, do as Jim Brierley suggests.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #29
bobbader

I'll throw this out there. An incident I experienced several years ago with a modern car with a Ford Heavy Duty 3 spd Trans. I had what sounds like the same issue you've experienced with your Model A. Leaving a stop light the car became increasingly hard to shift into first gear to get the car moving from a complete stop. Adjustment was checked, etc, etc. Once rolling, getting into 2nd & 3rd not so much of a problem. After a few weeks of this, one day I stopped for a red light in rush hour traffic. the light turned green and, no way this tranny was going into first, no amount of my trying .......... or horns going off behind me .......... would convince the shifter to go into first. Finally jammed it into 2nd and was able to take off. Luckily I was 1/2 mile from my shop. Dropped the transmission down to find that the front collar around the input shaft (the outer tube where the throwout bearing rides) had cracked around the entire outer perimeter where the tube met the mounting flange, thus causing misalignment of the trout bearing and not enough leverage to compress all the fingers on the pressure plate to disengage. I'm not saying this is your problem but ............ if you end up disassembling things, you might look into this.

Good luck, Bob Bader
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #30
Jim Brierley

I doubt it is a pilot brg problem, likely the clutch pressure plate and disc need replacement, if all linkage checks out. Also look at the motor mounts, if float-o-moters are installed, all bolts must be tight enough to hold everything in place.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #31
rivcokid

*UPDATE* - Well, I tried doing the clutch adjustment this morning before it got hot. I ended up adjusting it to about where it was instead of improving it after fighting with the cotter pin for 50 minutes. It's difficult for me since I have no one to help me, so seeing things and how they work isn't the easiest. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I know where I messed up, so back at it tomorrow morning before it hits 107! Stay tuned!
Old 07-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #32
rivcokid

**UPDATE** - Got the clutch adjusted this morning with only about 1 - 1.5 inches of play and it works great! Took it for a drive and not once did it slam into 1st. It did once or twice into 2nd or 3rd, but I think that's going to require an adjustment to the nut behind the steering wheel as opposed to something on the car itself! Thanks everyone for your help!!
Old 07-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #33
ryanheacox

Great!
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:46 PM   #34
Mulletwagon

Outstanding ! Thanks for the update.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:57 PM   #35
Big hammer

Go for a long drive! 1-2 shift at 5 to 8 mph, 2-3 shift at 12 to 15 mph and no need to double clutch ! It in Fords owners manual
Old 08-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #36
Patrick L.

Good, right back to post #9 about 10 ago.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #37
rivcokid

***FURTHER UPDATE*** Well, my fix lasted about 1 day. Next day, 5 inches of free-play was back and after driving it a bit, shifting became harder and harder. Drove the last mile home in 1st gear. Turns out it was the other thing mentioned a while back - the clutch shaft arm is broken - not completely, but certainly enough to cause trouble. This is the part that so many people here and on the vendors' sites say is prone to breaking. New parts on order and will try it again this weekend!
Old 08-04-2020, 07:24 PM   #38
ricconhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivcokid View Post
***FURTHER UPDATE*** Well, my fix lasted about 1 day. Next day, 5 inches of free-play was back and after driving it a bit, shifting became harder and harder. Drove the last mile home in 1st gear. Turns out it was the other thing mentioned a while back - the clutch shaft arm is broken - not completely, but certainly enough to cause trouble. This is the part that so many people here and on the vendors' sites say is prone to breaking. New parts on order and will try it again this weekend!
Look similar to this?

The pin is tapered, larger on one end than the other, I would suggest a brass hammer or brass drift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1596586657431.jpg (46.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #39
rivcokid

Mine's not cracked all the way through but pretty close. I've heard that pin is fun to get out - I can hardly wait!
Old 08-05-2020, 07:17 AM   #40
Patrick L.

Just push the pedal, stick in a piece of 2x4 to hold it down, crawl under and take a look.

Good that you figured it out though.

Shouldn't be too hard to replace and hopefully all be well.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote