Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #21
Pete

Default Re: What aftermarket turn signal do you recommend.

My method requires some machine work and welding but it leaves you with a stock looking setup that is self cancelling and uses the stop lights in the rear and parking lights in front for the turn signals.

Graft the top 6 inches of a 53 thru 56 F100 steering column tube to the 47 tube. This piece contains the turn signal switch and is the same size as the 47. It also has the column shift rod socket. The switch has all the proper wiring for using the existing lights. The steering wheel hub is machined to accept the cancelling ring from the F100. When you press it on just be sure the gap faces to the RIGHT of the car. I have done this mod to several old Fords including model A's.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #22
rich b

Be sure to take aesthetics into consideration.

Currently available switches look like either a big truck switch, billet street rod part, or a gypo Chinese part.

Under dash and toggle switches take care of the appearance problem; but I think most people are and feel more comfortable with a column mounted switch.

My idea of first choice for this would be either the original Ford accessory switch or the similar shoebox directional switch.

Next would be one of the many period aftermarket switches; many styles from fancy to utilitarian to chose from.

Some, of course, will require more wiring than others; but nothing insurmountable.

I've also seen early switches used to trigger the electronic module shown in an earlier post.

Pic of the shoebox switch mentioned and a Parker switch I have in my coupe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (32.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg signal.jpg (44.8 KB, 43 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
My method requires some machine work and welding but it leaves you with a stock looking setup that is self cancelling and uses the stop lights in the rear and parking lights in front for the turn signals.

Graft the top 6 inches of a 53 thru 56 F100 steering column tube to the 47 tube. This piece contains the turn signal switch and is the same size as the 47. It also has the column shift rod socket. The switch has all the proper wiring for using the existing lights. The steering wheel hub is machined to accept the cancelling ring from the F100. When you press it on just be sure the gap faces to the RIGHT of the car. I have done this mod to several old Fords including model A's.
A slick approach.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #24
TJ

If you have a car or pickup that does not have a column shift you use an early Volkswagen bus switch. You can paint it the color of your column and it snugs up near the bottom of the steering wheel. It looks like it was made for an old Ford and you can buy them on e-Bay for about $100. I have one on my '41 pickup and it looks period correct.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #25
Seth Swoboda

Your left arm........sorry, I couldn't resist.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #26
johndee138

Get yourself one of these off Epay for a quite a bit less than E Gyp Garage price !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Signal-Pod-W...53.m1438.l2649
johndee138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:02 PM   #27
Displayman

Thanks for all of the great information on turn signal switches.
Appreciate them all.

Bob-Hampshire, Illinois
Displayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #28
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Be sure to take aesthetics into consideration.

Currently available switches look like either a big truck switch, billet street rod part, or a gypo Chinese part.

Under dash and toggle switches take care of the appearance problem; but I think most people are and feel more comfortable with a column mounted switch.

My idea of first choice for this would be either the original Ford accessory switch or the similar shoebox directional switch.

Next would be one of the many period aftermarket switches; many styles from fancy to utilitarian to chose from.

Some, of course, will require more wiring than others; but nothing insurmountable.

I've also seen early switches used to trigger the electronic module shown in an earlier post.

Pic of the shoebox switch mentioned and a Parker switch I have in my coupe.
I have this Ford turn signal switch. It's installed in a 1946 Ford 3 passenger coupe we have.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #29
Binkman34
BANNED

I have used the button type that Ron Francis sells as well.
You have to fabricate a bracket for them but they are out of the way, easy to get to, and trouble free.
Binkman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:56 PM   #30
GB SISSON

I am planning to use an 'autolamp 9000' awitch on my 12v neg ground '47 pickup/woodie project. I have had it on a shelf for years. It has 7 wires. I have a set of double filament parking light assemblies for the front and a pair of '27 model T tail lights I want to mount on the rear. I plan to retain a neat single stop/tail/license bracket I have on the left barn door. I found a wiring diagram for the seven wires on line. Is this switch only for a setup that uses the existing brake lights and parking lights as directionals? Could I skip a couple of wires and use it for four separate bulbs? I hope I'm not hacking this thread with my question, but I think people searching this subject could find this helpful.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:32 AM   #31
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Could I skip a couple of wires and use it for four separate bulbs? I hope I'm not hacking this thread with my question, but I think people searching this subject could find this helpful.
Sure; the switch will work without integrating the brake lights, as long as you use separate lights.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote