Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
dennisonk1957

Default Cool idea? 3rd Brake Light/Turn Sig up front

What do you think and where can I find Amber lenses? I had this idea for a third brake light..use a tailight and use two clamps with rubber inserts to protect the spare wire wheel. Not hooked up yet....so thinkng about front turn indicators...(held in place for the photo but bracket in the future) use the same rear taillights but change to amber lenses if anyone makes them. Certainly not original but would keep me from having to use hand signals and would look more "Authentic".

What do you all think of it and does anybody know of amber lenses for sale?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9066.jpg (83.2 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9068.jpg (77.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9069.jpg (75.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9072.jpg (76.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9067.jpg (69.9 KB, 144 views)
Old 09-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
ivoryjohn

Default Re: Cool idea? 3rd Brake Light/Turn Sig up front

I hooked up my turn signals to my cowl lights and wasn't satisfied with white turn signals. You can get amber colored lenses for 30-31 cowl lights but not for 28-29.

I was pointed toward stain glass paint by a fellow Barn member. You can get it from large hobby chains or hobby glass shops. I could not get amber however so I settled on yellow and red and experimented and bit on a pane of glass until I got the color I wanted. It thins with water and is probably an acrylic paint and is very inexpensive. Thinning it a good bit once you have the desired color helps and keeps the paint from overpowering the low watt bulbs. It only takes a thin coat to color the lense and show up amber. If you make a mistake the paint readily peels right off. Experiment on a piece of glass before you paint it on a clear lenses. Clean up with water.

I believe you should be able to completely remove the color on the repo stop light lenses with paint remover and tint them any color you want.

Hope this was helpful.
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
jrelliott

You can go to Harbor Freight, or Northern Hydrolics, Fleet Farm, Tractor Supply or other type store and purchase amber marker lights for trailers and use them for the front turn signal lights. Red ones can be used for the rear. You can mount them between the bumpers and use the bracket that goes on the center front emblem in the bumper for a back on the lights. Works great.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
foxfire42

Our favorite auction site has these up. There's an amber lens in the group.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-1931-MO...b5c85b&vxp=mtr
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
dennisonk1957

Thanks Barb...I'll bid on them...also ivoryjohn thanks for spelling it out so well. I asked my good friend Pat what he thought of the idea and he was for it...I always like to ask the more seasoned model A'ers what they think because I value their opinions.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
2manycars

I have seen cowl lamps used for turn signals, and some have amber lenses, which I think look strange. An alternative might be amber colored bulbs, which are available at the auto parts store. I used them in my 48 ford turn and park lamps and they were very visible.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
ivoryjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
I have seen cowl lamps used for turn signals, and some have amber lenses, which I think look strange. An alternative might be amber colored bulbs, which are available at the auto parts store. I used them in my 48 ford turn and park lamps and they were very visible.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea I think the cowl lights look a little strange but don't like the plastic looking ones that go on the bumper. Lets face it anything you put on that isn't original looks out of place in MHO.

Tail lights hanging on the front bar? Seriously? But to each his own and the object is to get their attention when you are turning. The best turn signal I have seen is the giant Mickey Mouse hand! That got my attention but it made me want to wave back not watch for a turn. So fly backwards if you want to.
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
dennisonk1957

Ivoryjohn, I am laughing...the Mickey mouse hand sounds humorous...I could get my kids to signal the turn out the Tudors Window but I have the feeling they'd be doing it more than I was actually turning...and yes I agree the whole idea is different but I really am not partial to the signals I have seen in the bumper etc...that why I chose the style that the rear lights have with the modern convenience of turn signals...
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
tuneman

Default Re: amber turn signal

Napa 1506ad. Under 10 dollars ea! 12volts, but take out bulb and replace with a 6 voltBUlb. Trying to send picture ,but having trouble
tuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
CarlG

One of the guys in our club uses Harley turn signals in the front, mounted under or next to the headlight on the headlight bar.

I personally just use the cowl lights. They seem to be a lot more effective than the little plastic things that mount between the bumper rails. I have the amber lenses for the cowl lights but have never put them on. The white light up high like that is quite noticeable to oncomming traffic.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
tuneman

photo[1].jpg

Finilly sorted out how to post a picture!
tuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
ScottNW/Ohio

Never thought about it - but I like the "look" of the tailight housings for turn lights
I have the bumper mount ones from Snyder's - but look 'out of place'
ScottNW/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
jkeesey

personally i like the period correct yellow fog lights turned to signals.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
Bruce Adams

HOBBY LOBBY sells "Citrus Yellow" "Window Color Paint" that can be used to paint your turn signals for $2.25.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
dennisonk1957

Scott, I do too...i think if they manufactured forward turn indicators, they might have looked similar to this...maybe it'll be a trend. I like that I can mount them forward near the headlights similar to the positioning for modern cars....I like the paint posts too...I will likely buy the lights from speedway at 22 dollars a piece to make it affordable then get the turn switch from them too. I want to drive in the colder weather so le aging a window rolled down to hand signal might have its downside. Kris
Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
columbiA

On my 30 coupe,I made a bracket off the lower 2 bolts on the spare tire mount & mounted a red lite about 1-1/2"x5" in behind the spare tire & the lite shines thru the spokes & makes a great middle brake lite.This way you dont have to remove the lite when you need to use the spare.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #17
dennisonk1957

Smiling...I hope I don't have to use the spare...by the way what does it feel like when you get a flat while you are running...front vs rear? Curious about that...and I like the hidden bracket...cool idea
Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisonk1957 View Post
Smiling...I hope I don't have to use the spare...by the way what does it feel like when you get a flat while you are running...front vs rear? Curious about that...and I like the hidden bracket...cool idea
The car just gets a little wobbly, but nothing bad.

Bad is a blowout on the rear tire of a motorcycle. Contrary to popular belief, a flat on the front of a motorcyle is better than a flat on the rear. On the front you have direct control of the steering......not so on the back.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
Peter J

Got a set of NOS Honda turn signals from Amazon. Chrome and don't look too bad. Looking for safety over being authentic. Really bright also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tail light 001.jpg (56.6 KB, 44 views)
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Sorry Barb, but this seems really bad, even more confusing than stock, even if not legally worse. I did not even know they made all-amber lenses for tea cup lamps.

Red lenses are what everyone expects, and actually red is what is legally required for brake lights.

I would NEVER consider putting these on a Model A. I use all-red lenses like Ford changed to in 1932. They look fine and normal on the car, though we all know they are not correct for 1929-31.

Not sure if that is completely correct. I seem to recall checking New Jersey state law a year or 2 ago and found Amber was legal as a brake light. If my memory is correct than this would obviously mean it depend on the state.

However I do agree everyone expects RED for stop.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote