Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
dennisonk1957

Default Yakima Washington Ford Barn Members

If you live near Yakima, Washington, It might be nice to know each other and help out with parts, advise, other Model A stuff.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
329s

Default Re: Yakima Washington Ford Barn Members

What do you need?

Pluck
Walla Walla, WA
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
dennisonk1957

I have my father-in-laws A. Before we bought it from my mother -in-law after his passing, to keep it in the family, he changed the brakes to hydraulic but didnt complete it. His friends put it together but it wouldnt stop. I brought it up here to Yakima and took it to R&Q in Selah, great guys. They repositioned the rear plates so that the brake cylinder was positioned low enough to bleed it. They drove it for 5 miles and all was good...for me too...but when I backed it off the trailer...they failed...not a problem I am always cautious. I am not a mechanic but learned how to take the wheels off, hubs, bearings etc. to view the brakes. While the two rear emergency brakes work well...I want to drive it...the left rear had some fluid on it, so I cleaned the brakes and hub with brake cleaner. Inspected them all and took photos...all were dry except the one. I called a local brake shop where I have seen classic cars. It is called Bonnie and Clyde Brakes and Mufflers in Yakima on Nob Hill and 1st Street. I asked the gentleman if he was up or working on it. He said, "Yes".

SO, what do you think....I am not a mechanic...I can repair boats, and people but know just enough to keep an old tractor running with advise and want to be able to understand this Model a....BUT MOST OF ALL WANT TO DRIVE IT TO THE hIGH sCHOOL I teach at and to let my children enjoy it safely.

I thought if someone was close to me, they could teach a teacher...and give advise.

Thank you for reading...hope all was spelled correctly,since I teach English...ha ha. Kris
Old 03-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

Replace the shoes if they had brake fluid or axle grease on them, after repairing the source. Hydraulic brakes on an A are NOT rocket science. Do a search here on "hydraulic brakes".
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Farrell In Vancouver

Advise? or Advice?
My 2 cents.............go back to mechanical brakes and never worry about a leak again.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Farrell beat me to it ..........on both counts. "c" instead of "s"
and the original mechanical brakes are the safest IMHO.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
dennisonk1957

Now to clear up the advice, advise situation....well advice is a noun and advise is a verb, advice the opinion someone offers you and advise is the information someone gives you and it suggests an action that will happen...so now that the definition is out of the way and my students are laughing in my English class because I made a grammatical error.... unfortunately the parts for the mechanical brakes were long since discarded by my father-in-law...(unfortunate), I will take it to the brake shop and hope that it is easy for him to fix, with an establishment named Bonnie and Clyde, he should know Model A's, and he will know to whom to give the bill to and know where to lay parts when he is finished...all this English aside......good night and thank you for your comments...clause errors are my specialty!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
dennisonk1957

Thanks Paul in CT
Old 03-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
329s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisonk1957 View Post
Now to clear up the advice, advise situation....well advice is a noun and advise is a verb, advice the opinion someone offers you and advise is the information someone gives you and it suggests an action that will happen...so now that the definition is out of the way and my students are laughing in my English class because I made a grammatical error.... unfortunately the parts for the mechanical brakes were long since discarded by my father-in-law...(unfortunate), I will take it to the brake shop and hope that it is easy for him to fix, with an establishment named Bonnie and Clyde, he should know Model A's, and he will know to whom to give the bill to and know where to lay parts when he is finished...all this English aside......good night and thank you for your comments...clause errors are my specialty!
Dennis,

If you ever want to do a change from those juice brakes to mechanical...I can help you out.

Pluck
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
dennisonk1957

Pluck, I might just go there...I am joining the MAFCA in Yakima and will check to see what they think. I appreciate the offer and might take you up on that in the future. I love the way it runs...just want it to be able to stop safely and all the time!
Thanks,
Kris
Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
30ccpickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisonk1957 View Post
I love it when the English teacher needs the help of a shop teacher. I would rather fix the brakes than learn about nouns and verbs. Welcome, to the fordbarn. We will convert you and soon you will be asking us about the best hand cleaner. Post a picture, I would enjoy seeing your A.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Pete

In the interest of getting the car going soon and not have it become a restoration project, I would say, fix the hydraulics. You already have all the parts. It is just
a matter of getting the parts cleaned up and repaired.
How about the auto shop at your school? Any help there?
You will probably get a lot more pertinent advice on the HAMB. Be sure to introduce yourself there first. I know there are HAMB guys in Yakima.
I'm only 2 hours west of you so stop by some time after you get the car going.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
dennisonk1957

Pete,
The MAFCA members are giving me a hand...they are already interested...so appreciate all the great help from A owners...I hope to have my 4 yr old boy get interested in this car and learn how to do all the mechanicals...he will need to learn with me...novices...Kris
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
d.j. moordigian

Well it was done wrong the first time, it leaked!
This time, second go-a-round, new master cylinder, 4 new wheel cylinders, new
springs, new shoes. If the brake lines are copper, change them to steel. Have the
drums checked for size, also, the shoes fitted to the drums. New brake hoses.
That should keep you busy...good luck...and let use know how you are progressing.

Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote