Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
37don

Default Cleaning aluminum heads

I have my heads off my 276 after 40000 mi and they needed to be cleaned. Not to dirty but discoloration from heat and exposure has taken them down a notch or two. I tried all the home remedies and wheel cleaners on the first head and it still had that used look. After a lot of time on the internet I tried Mac aluminum brighter on the second head and after just one try the head looks like new again.
I noticed that where I didn't spray the cleaner it left random streaks where it ran down the side of the head. I wet the head and then just sprayed the product on and let it set for about a minute. I have a soft brass brush from harbor freight and just ran it between the fins and what a difference. When done just rinse them off real good because this stuff is an acid base.It is a napa product and not expensive. $6.00 for a spray bottle or $18.00 for a gallon.I will do the other head as you can see the difference between the heads.
Will update when I have them both done. Use protective gear when using this stuff as it has phosphoric acid in it.
Regards, Don
37don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
Capt Kirk

Default Re: Cleaning aluminum heads

When I was driving semi, the boss would buy gallons of aluminum brightener. I think it was commercial stuff. Spray it on and let it soak for a bit and then rinse off. It left a clean mat aluminum finish which was a good start for me. I liked my truck to have polished aluminum so after the acid treatment I went to town with the buffer and rubbing compound...spent hours! I once did the grill on my Pete and didn't want to spray so I rubbed it in with unprotected hands...big mistake!!! Wear gloves and eye protection...the stuff is nasty but does a good job. If you like a mat aluminum finish then you're done...if you like polished then you're on your way.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
RB

Default Re: Cleaning aluminum heads

I used alum mag wheel cleaner applied & rinsed until desired cleanliness & final rinsed with baking soda solution
RB is offline   Reply With Quote