Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
Mulletwagon

Default About Door Locks

Noticed the key door lock is on the right door and the internal slide lock is on the left door on my 31 Tudor. Probably a reason for this configuration - anybody know the rationale ?
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: About Door Locks

the Model A`s were built to exit the right hand or curb side of the vehicle. so you are not standing out in traffic while locking your vehicle.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
the Model A`s were built to exit the right hand or curb side of the vehicle. so you are not standing out in traffic while locking your vehicle.
Which is it - right side or kerb side.
Model As as you say are designed so people exit on the RHS and they nade no changes to that for RHD countries so we have to stand in the traffic.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #4
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Model As as you say are designed so people exit on the RHS and they nade no changes to that for RHD countries so we have to stand in the traffic.
I do not know of Australian assembled Model A's, but the Canadian RHD A's that came to NZ & other Commonwealth Countries had the locking handle on the left side & internal lock arm [ Tudor & Coupe] on drivers r/h side.
The rule about exiting was similar to the US but obviously not today as I often see people fluffing around on the traffic side with the door wide open usually women with kids.
I have always exited from the passenger side in traffic & you see it on the old Ford promo films. Cheers Tom in NZ.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:32 AM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
I do not know of Australian assembled Model A's, but the Canadian RHD A's that came to NZ & other Commonwealth Countries had the locking handle on the left side & internal lock arm [ Tudor & Coupe] on drivers r/h side.
The rule about exiting was similar to the US but obviously not today as I often see people fluffing around on the traffic side with the door wide open usually women with kids.
I have always exited from the passenger side in traffic & you see it on the old Ford promo films. Cheers Tom in NZ.
I suppose it is possible that the cars I have seen have been "restored" with the lock on the other side because that is all that the vendors flog.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post

I always refer to which side as drivers side or passenger side . This clears up the confusion that some have about right or left side of any vehicle .. Of course it is just the opposite for right hand drive model A's .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
ed thibodeau

I put a locking door handle on the left side so I don't have to crawl over to unlock the
drivers door. I am getting older.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:23 AM   #8
Dean Lemoine

Has anyone modified the passenger door to be able to lock it from the inside? It looks like it would be easy to do, given the parts.
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:04 AM   #9
Tinbasher

I think you'll find the cutout for the interior door lock is already in both doors. So just a matter of checking out the door latch and installing the sliding lock on the right hand door.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
eagle

Or you could live in an area where no one locks their doors, and often even leave key in the ignition .
Old 04-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #11
Dean Lemoine

Well eagle, I live in such an area. Even if you left the keys in it, how many people could actually start it up and drive away?
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Or you could live in an area where no one locks their doors, and often even leave key in the ignition .
Or you could live in a country where they drive on the “right” side of the road! Cannot recall where the kiwi’s drive. Old brain, loose connections.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #13
OLDMANKOHOUT

If i recall you can use locking door handles on both sides with no issues. Installing 2 slide locks , one on each side, may really secure your Model A up. As they only will unlock from inside, by hand. Just a thought.
OLDMANKOHOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

If a person had two locking door handles ,For convenience , They would be able to lock the passenger side from the inside without getting out of the car . A person could get out and lock the drivers door from the outside like later cars and the car would be safely locked . Without the sliding lock installed on the passenger door , the door could only be locked from the outside and would be more inconvenient for the driver .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote