Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
HD

Default Urgent RMV issue for Massachusetts Car Guys

The Massachusetts RMV has come up with a plan to change the numbering system on certain plate type sets due to many people getting tickets and easy pass bills for cars that belong to someone else, they want to make it so no two people have the same #, they said they are going to send letters to some holders of some type sets to revoke their plates and give them ones with a different #, a lot of us have YOM and Antique plates with #s we do not want to give up, I urge everyone to call your State Rep or the Governors Office 617-725-4005 ad state you do not want the RMV to make changes to the license plate numbering system
HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Urgent RMV issue for Massachusetts Car Guys

Interesting, didn't know it was possible to have more than one plate with identical numbers. Do any other states allow that?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
51woodie

In Ontario Canada, you have to submit the physical plates, along with a request form and registration fee, to the Ministry of Transport. The MOT will return the plates with a licensing authorization, if the plates are in good condition and the numbers are not currently in use. The MOT will not issue another set of plates once you have that number.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
VeryTangled

Hmmm. This probably does not help, but...

Our regions certainly love to ticket vehicles by camera, red-light, speed, and construction zone.

Our YOM plate is 3 digits a space and 3 more. All numbers. Our modern passenger car plates have seven digits with two letters.

Also my state registers TWO (pairs of) plates. A modern permanent "Historic" one with one letter and five digits, that I have to carry in the car (with its own registration card), and the YOM ones (with their own reg card).

Apparently our county cops don't worry too much about YOM plates. I got a speeding ticket in my '36 Phaeton about three years ago (42 in a 30), and he wrote the YOM number on the ticket.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
tubman

I'm in Minnesota and it happened to me. I had a nice set of YOM plates on my '51 Ford club coupe. About 20 years ago, I got a letter from the DMV saying that the number on my plate was re-issued and that I would have to replace them with regular "Special Interest Auto" plates that they had included free of charge.

I didn't like it, but completely understood the problem and did not fight it. They are doing us a service by allowing the use of YOM plates when it doesn't mess up the normal order of things. I don't think you'll get to first base protesting this. They are just doing their jobs.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
Fordors

Well said Tubman. Massachusetts, just like Illinois has a variety of plates that are used as revenue generators through the extra cost for issuing and renewal. MA uses four character plates for sports teams for example and let’s say my street address was 1234. I might be a Celtics fan and receive that plate, while in the past it may have been possible for someone else to get 1234 on the Red Sox commemorative plate. That will no longer be the case, 1234 would only be available to the individual that requested it initially, any other duplicates would be revoked. Naturally the same would apply for vanity, as well as other plates the MA RMV has available.
I doubt that duplicates were issued in any other situation, at least that is how I see this from my experience with Illinois plates.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The number pattern on YOM plates are nothing like the number pattern on current plates in Kansas. Guess that is where the difference occurs. I was not aware that in some states it is possible for a current number to match a YOM number. Very interesting.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #8
19Fordy

Why not have it so that the same numerical number or vanity plate number could not be issued to another subsequent applicant plate holder no matter what "style" the plate is? I got my 19FORDY plate number in 1988 and it can't be issued to anyone else in FL unless I fail to register my car. Then anyone else can apply. Back in 1988 I originally applied for the tag saying only 1940 but it was already in use. Had to pick something else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19Fordy tag (Small)best.jpg (17.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 03-23-2019 at 09:12 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #9
TJ

In California you take your YOM plates to DMV to see if they are a "clear plate"( not currently matching a # already in use). If clear you get to use them and DMV will not issue another plate with that #. The plates belong to the individual and you can keep them when you sell the car, release them to the new owner of the car, or resell them to someone else. The problem in California is trying to find someone in the local DMV that actually knows how to deal with YOM plates. You need to go to DMV prepared with the appropriate code sections of the vehicle code and show them the plates can be used.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #10
tubman

"Vanity plates" (like "19Fordy" mentioned) are quite different than YOM plates. You guys that live in states that will alter the sequential numbering of their standard license plates to accommodate a small number of hobbyists should thank your lucky stars. I don't think the convicts in Minnesota prisons are up to such a complicated task.

Last edited by tubman; 03-23-2019 at 11:24 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
5851a

Used to have vanity plates on a few and only 1 person could have that combo, $25 for the first time and a extra $5 every year. Same thing for wife's patriotic plate "The U S Flag", then the state decided to change numbering and force you to get new plates, "2 times now". You get to do the 25/5 all over again. I said the hell with it! Can anyone tell me why I should have to pay to have the American flag on my license plate in the U S A? I wouldn't mind if would tell me where the extra money went, like to Veterans or? ! Sorry for going off topic on a rant.
5851a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #12
19Fordy

5851a: it's all about making money. I imagine it all goes to the State. Crazy as it sounds, last year a wrote a letter to the prison in FL that makes the plates thanking them for making my vanity plate. Hey, it can't hurt anything.to say THANKS.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
Flathead Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Used to have vanity plates on a few and only 1 person could have that combo, $25 for the first time and a extra $5 every year. Same thing for wife's patriotic plate "The U S Flag", then the state decided to change numbering and force you to get new plates, "2 times now". You get to do the 25/5 all over again. I said the hell with it! Can anyone tell me why I should have to pay to have the American flag on my license plate in the U S A? I wouldn't mind if would tell me where the extra money went, like to Veterans or? ! Sorry for going off topic on a rant.
Only $5.00 dollars a year a keep your personalized plates in Iowa, that's a bargain!

Welcome to CA. Most special plates cost $50 extra initially and $40 to renew each year. There is an additional $98 charge to have a plate personalized with letters and numbers spelling out a word or message; those plates cost an additional $78 to renew. That would be in addition to your registration fee. I just bought a new vehicle this week. The registration fee will be $530.00 a year.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
Kerk

New York can not tell the difference between A WHITE passnger plate and A Black commercial plate. H. P. does not matter !! JM@CW.
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
mrtexas

A vanity plate in Texas is $500 for 5 years or $200 a year. No thanks I pay way too much taxes already, $25,000 property tax and sales tax most of which I can't deduct on Federal anymore. I have this unofficial one 2THPIX on my woodie but also have a YOM on the same car. https://flic.kr/p/2fi2Vie
Old 03-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #16
5851a

I guess it's relative to location and time, at the time I had vanity plates the regular plates were 17 to 25 before the additional fees. But I was only making $6 an hour. Still keep the flag plates and proud of it. Compared to some of you I do have it lucky here. I don't even know if Iowa allows yom plates.
5851a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #17
50fordcoupeman

You need to be an attorney in Oregon to figure out all the plate options. I read once there are about 55 options here. Cost is somewhere from $125 to $600 for 2 years or thereabouts.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #18
paul2748

NJ does not allow a YOM plate as a regular plate. They do have "Historic" plates, which you can get a regular number or vanity. Vanity's are about 50 (or maybe more now) initially, but there is no yearly registration fee for either the vanity or regular historic plates.

And if you have a Historic plate, you only have to run one (on the rear) although they issue two. You legally can put a YOM plate on the front with a Historic plate on the rear, but it is not a an official plate
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #19
cas3

the number problem in minnesota is because the old plate have the same 6 digit system as current trailer plates. so, in tubmans case i assume they didnt want to skip that number when issuing a new plate for some ones trailer, so they took his number back! strange, i've never heard of that before, but thats the reason they check your yom number before it gets an ok
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #20
ford38v8

Food for thought: Everyone who's had their plate numbers revoked can thank the nature of Bureaucracy for that. Bureaucracies, as we all know, are proud of their ability to remain unproductive and self sustaining. Just think of all the government jobs that would be lost if a computer programmer accidentally modernized the system to accommodate those YOM plates in current use?