Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
1932tub

Default Adjustable oil pressure relief valve

I have seen pictures of an adjustable oil pressure relief valve that mounts into the timing chest. Does anyone have any info on these or where they can be purchased?
1932tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
George Miller

Default Re: Adjustable oil pressure relief valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1932tub View Post
I have seen pictures of an adjustable oil pressure relief valve that mounts into the timing chest. Does anyone have any info on these or where they can be purchased?

I have got them from McMaster- Carr, They were adjustable pop off valves for a air compressor. but that was a few years back, lost the part number when my old computer went down.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
1932BB

One of the popular U.S. suppliers lists a new valve cover for a model B with an adjustable pressure valve and a filter. Makes me wonder, if the flow of oil is reduced to build up pressure to the crank and cam mains, will oil supply be restricted to the cam gear and splash pans? Seems to me that the rod bearings need a good supply of oil to the splash pan. Maybe more critical than the main bearings?
1932BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
J Franklin

The spring under the oil pump is the original pressure relief mechanism I was told.

Last edited by J Franklin; 11-04-2013 at 04:56 PM.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
quickchange

Bevan . jump in your hotrod & drive 10 miles to get the info on how to do it, or is age catching up ?? OR get the gorse out of pockets & buy a stipe pump. You can rework a V8 pump which has a releif valve in it. Ill even loan you JB.s book showing you how. Cheers Derek
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Why would a person consider one for an A?
Old 11-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
quickchange

32tub has a diamond B engine with drilled crank, wishes to inprove the flow of oil to the bearings which can be done by reworking the A-B oil pump, however this requires a releif valve in the system so as to control the pressure like ford did in the V8 . Its been done before & he is asking for any info on to how , One way is to cut a releif valve of a V8 pump & weld to the A pump , i did this 25 years ago & engine still running . Someone had an external valve for this , just asking for info not a reason, Thanks.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1932BB View Post
One of the popular U.S. suppliers lists a new valve cover for a model B with an adjustable pressure valve and a filter. Makes me wonder, if the flow of oil is reduced to build up pressure to the crank and cam mains, will oil supply be restricted to the cam gear and splash pans? Seems to me that the rod bearings need a good supply of oil to the splash pan. Maybe more critical than the main bearings?
This is such a unit as you describe, installed in my B 12 yrs ago. As you can see the large brass plug contains spring setup. Change spring to increase/decrease pressure..
As to you inquiry/wonder...Stipe pump can/will produce more pressure than you can use..IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (57.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (53.3 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by hardtimes; 11-05-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: .....
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
quickchange

Yes have 50% more volume, sits on 50lb,s in my G28T but don,t make it go faster .
Thanks im sur this is what Bevan is looking for . Any idea where he could obtain, ??
Keep that Q/C rolling.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
32tub has a diamond B engine with drilled crank, wishes to inprove the flow of oil to the bearings which can be done by reworking the A-B oil pump, however this requires a releif valve in the system so as to control the pressure like ford did in the V8 . Its been done before & he is asking for any info on to how , One way is to cut a releif valve of a V8 pump & weld to the A pump , i did this 25 years ago & engine still running . Someone had an external valve for this , just asking for info not a reason, Thanks.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
1932tub

I have the feeling that my relief valve is the cause of my low oil pressure problem. I intend to run the engine until hot and then plug off the relief to see if it makes a difference.
I can shim the relief valve which is off a Jap engine but it is behind the valve door which has to come off each time you try a new shim. An external valve would be a lot easier.

Derek- I will try to get out this weekend if poss
1932tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Pete

Apparently someone deleted my post so I'll try again.

In the past there were several guys making pressure relief valves for a full pressure A or B but they are either retired or gone. Most of them looked very similar and could be mounted either inside the valve chamber or externally.
If you have access to a lathe and mill they are quite easy to fabricate.
Calibration can be done with a gauge and the city water pressure if need be.

A better alternative is a Dan Price oil pump. It has a built in CALIBRATED relief valve. You set it to the pressure you want and forget it. The pump is a bolt in unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B engine bottom end.jpg (83.0 KB, 38 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
wensum

In following the instructions in "Vintage Speed & Sports SECRETS magazine" Vol 19 number 4 April 2010 by Charlie Yapp to convert my motor to mains pressure, I too had trouble finding a suitable pressure relief valve.
I contacted Charlie to enquire as to where I might find one and discovered that he stocks and sells them at a very reasonable price. email: [email protected]
Cheers
Keith
wensum is offline   Reply With Quote