Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Skrain

Question Drivers and Show cars

I'm just kind of curious...I wonder how many Model A Owners have them as "Drivers", and how many have them as Show Cars, for MARC Points shows, and the like.
I know you can have a sharp, good running A that might not be full MARC Accurate, but is more for fun, a hobby car so to speak.
Just wonder if anyone had ever figured out the percentages breakdown?
Not that is really makes a lot of difference, but I'm just curious about it.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: Drivers and Show cars

I was told by a "Fine Point" owner that there may be 25-30 "Fine Point" restorations in the works worldwide, so there must be a ton of "Driver Restorations" out there.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
ford3

LOL. fine point car =trailer queen or garage art, never driven but protected like fort knox
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Fred K-OR

At the recent Northwest Meet in Bend OR, I would guess there were around 250 Model A's at the meet but if I remember, I think only 30 or so were up for judging. Don't know if this is an indication of the percentages you are looking at but it was interesting.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

and then there is AACA quality cars
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
You know, it is truly sad when people make arrogant and untrue statements about fine-point cars and their owners here! First off, not all MARC/MAFCA fine-point cars are trailer queens. Second, I have seen fine-point car owners who enjoy their Model-A as much, -if not more than a "Drivers" car owners do.

Since I am unaware of any Model-A that has scored a full 500 points, one could easily make the statement that all Model-As entered in past Fine-Point competitions are not fully "MARC Accurate". So then, what actually defines and makes a Model-A a 'show car'? If it means it will only be driven in & out of a car show area, then Marco's Roadster does not meet the qualifications of being a 'Show Car' because he drives his car too. Hell, his Roadster has more miles on it than some of y'alls Model-As ...and he can still beat y'all in Fine-Point competition. Almost every fine-point car owner/restorer I know truly enjoys what owning a fine-point car gives them. The reason that there are (by percentages) few people restoring fine-point cars is because very few people have the ability to actually do it!! Think about it, when was the last time someone intentionally said "I'm just going to personally restore my Model-A the worst I can possibly do?" Chances are never. The reason is most people try to do the best they can do. If someone has the ability to restore a Model-A more accurately and better than you does not mean they don't have fun with their Model-A!

BTW, a thought to ponder. By percentages you definitely find WAY more "Drivers" break down on the Grande (Mandatory) Tour than you see Fine-Point cars fail to complete the mandatory tour!! Maybe someone should remind folks just how many "Driver-level" Model-As broke down on the Blue Ridge Tour last year. Yeah, I'd bet most of those "Driver" car owners were having fun about then!! Kinda makes me think that if someone is going to restore to fine-point, then it should be good at being a fine-point car. The reverse should be applicable that if a Model-A is being restored to be a "Driver", then it should be good at being a driver. Anyone want to comment on that?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
The reason that there are (by percentages) few people restoring fine-point cars is because very few people have the ability to actually do it!!

Of have the resources i.e. money!

Think about it, when was the last time someone intentionally said "I'm just going to personally restore my Model-A the worst I can possibly do?"

Everybody with a Rat Rod!!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Mike there is a real fallacy or misconception that it takes huge amounts of cash to restore a fine-point car. Instead, it honestly takes something called talent and dedication.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
sconnors

I have to say I drive mine every day or almost every day! Cars were meant to be driven. I just came back from the Boardwalk Nationals in Wildwood NJ and saw some great cars, restored, unrestored, hot rods, etc and most I have to say were 'drivers' there were some trailers at the show but many were from quite a distance and I can see why they may trailer their car to a long distance show etc, but most of the guys I talked to echoed the sentiment that cars are meant to be driven.
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
marc hildebrant

Seems to me that if a car is restored to as close a "fine-point" as possible, then the owner must have gone over the car "inch by inch". By checking the car over, potential problems and broken parts would have been fixed.

So, I fine-point car should be quite reliable.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
and then there is AACA quality cars
Mitch, I'm not real familiar with the AACA quality of judging, I'm not involved with them....do you mean they leave something to be desired?? Just wondering how AACA judging stacks up against MAFCA and MARC judging. Is Model A judging a tougher competition in the Nat'l clubs that the AACA? Do AACA Model A's judge against not other Model A's, but antique cars in general from the same years?

Reason I wonder is, I see old cars advertised as AACA this or that and wonder if the restorations are really as good as they say...............
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
Pictou County T & A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Hi Brent,

Quite the tasteless reply. Forrest Gump said it best, " and that's all I have to say about that !".

Take care,

Rob
Pictou County T & A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

quote jeff/Illinois
Mitch, I'm not real familiar with the AACA quality of judging, I'm not involved with them....do you mean they leave something to be desired?? Just wondering how AACA judging stacks up against MAFCA and MARC judging. Is Model A judging a tougher competition in the Nat'l clubs that the AACA? Do AACA Model A's judge against not other Model A's, but antique cars in general from the same years?
Reason I wonder is, I see old cars advertised as AACA this or that and wonder if the restorations are really as good as they say...............quote"""""

ironically here is a thread that you started in 2010 but you deleted your post
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=65526

there is some good info posted on it.
i believe aaca will allow some repo parts without deductions but not certain. maybe someone would know.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
quote jeff/Illinois
Reason I wonder is, I see old cars advertised as AACA this or that and wonder if the restorations are really as good as they say...............quote"""""

ironically here is a thread that you started in 2010 but you deleted your post
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=65526

there is some good info posted on it.
i believe aaca will allow some repo parts without deductions but not certain. maybe someone would know.
My experience with AACA competition is if it looks authentically correct to the judge(s), they give the benefit of the doubt. While MARC/MAFCA fine-point competition DOES allow reproduction parts too, the key is they must be indistinguishable from the correct original part.

The biggest reason why I think AACA's competitions have been so successful over the years is they do not reveal scores. The second reason is they realize the bigger picture that it is a car show first, ...and as a scoring competition second.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
My experience with AACA competition is if it looks authentically correct to the judge(s), they give the benefit of the doubt. While MARC/MAFCA fine-point competition DOES allow reproduction parts too, the key is they must be indistinguishable from the correct original part.

The biggest reason why I think AACA's competitions have been so successful over the years is they do not reveal scores. The second reason is they realize the bigger picture that it is a car show first, ...and as a scoring competition second.

my nut and bolt restorations are a combo of orig and repo parts. repo mostly being the bumpers,lights,handles,dash,ebrake,shifter, fenders, aprons, running boards, powder coating, etc...
i would get tossed out of and probably laughed at in fine point but feel i can win a senior in aaca.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-24-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
BudP

My 1931 coupe in my avatar won a senior in AACA before I bought it 5 years ago. In effecting repairs over the years I have found it to have a lot of repro parts, and not all of them correct; e.g., 1928-29 gas tank clamps, 1929 nuts on the coil, phillips head screws inside on the garnish, Ford Model A commercial color rather than a 1931 coupe color, some wiring was spliced/soldered/heat shrink wrapped, floor boards w/o welting, etc. Exterior paint, interior fabric and panels, engine compartment paint - all new and immaculate and, overall, car presented very well.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
glenn in camino

I drive my 5 restored Model As on club tours and show them in the touring class when they have overdrives, and blue ribbon class at regional and national meets. My 29 coupe, restored in 1978 won Best of show at the 2012 Northern California regional meet and my 28 station wagon restored in 1974 got a first place, touring class, at the 2013 Northern California regional meet in Pleasanton Ca. Two points behind the blue ribbon best of show car.

It takes some maintenance, but yes, you can drive your Model A and show it too.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
al's28/33

Mine are both drivers, restored and maintained decades ago by previous owners. I would love to restore to "show" condition someday and repaint in factory correct colors but alas, that damn mortgage bill keeps showing up in my mail box every month!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
jw hash

I enjoy doing most of my own work on my Model a`s and after putting countless hours and a lot of money in my fine point A400 to make as close as I can to being correct. it is like a race horse once it is done racing you put it out to pasture. same thing with a lot of fine point cars once you are done showing the car, you can now enjoy driving the car. I know of a lot of cars that are retired fine point cars.
Just My $.02
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #20
Skrain

Wow! I didn't mean to kick over an anthill...