Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
gweilbaker

Default Re: The Model A Ignition System

I recently removed the upper plate to replace the wire and adjusted points/timing per Marco's page. I think the timing is too advanced - when I pull the spark control lever down past 1/2 way, the engine begins to misfire. I have re-timed it three times - with the same results. I'd like to loosen the cam and turn it ever so slightly to retard the timing and see if this makes a difference.

Make sure the wire pigtail is dressed properly, it can only go one way or it will intermittently short. Be very aware of the assembly hardware too, the wrong order can cause problems.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

The distributor turns counter clockwise when the engine is running. Turn the cam clockwise to retard. This is what is called tweaking the timing. I had to do this sort of thing when I was struggling with the so called modern points.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #23
Bellinis Custom

Hoping somone replys, 31 model A, I had Just installed new Coil And all internals on distributor, it had an electronic ignition system that took a crap. so I went back to OEM. After Installing everything i still have no spark, I want off a origanal wiring diagram for anything im stuck and cunfused.
Bellinis Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #24
slammin

Since this thread is 7 years old, you might get better response by starting a new thread. Be as descriptive as possible in your title. BTW, welcome to the barn!
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:55 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Turn the engine until the points are open, then turn the key on and see if the ammeter shows a draw. If it does, then there is a short to ground between the key and points.
If the armored cable is screwed more than a couple turns into the distributor, it can short to ground.

The insulating washer must be under the condenser brass terminal screw head, or the screw will bottom out and spin the terminal, thus ruining it, or you'll have a poor connection and may not get good spark.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #26
Growley bear

The Model A ignition system was a first for Ford. Invented by Charles Kettering, who was the founder of Dayton Electronics Company. DELCO. It is a good research project. While researching this a few years ago, I found that his grandson lives just across the street from me. It is a small world. Ignition systems have changed drastically in the last 115 years.
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote