Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
37fordpickup

Default Air cleaners

Which of these air cleaners is the correct one for 1937 Ford pickup?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0676.jpg (69.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0677.jpg (58.8 KB, 126 views)
37fordpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Air cleaners

37fordpickup ......................
The bigger air-cleaner was an accessory for driving in dusty road conditions. It was an oil-bath cleaner.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Mike is correct in Post #2. The other one looks close to one of the styles available in 1937 but you should get a copy of the Restoration Guidelines from the Early Ford V8 Club and decide for yourself. You might post a few other views. There were a couple of styles available.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
37fordpickup

My memory tells me that the gray filter was on the 37 when i got it many years a go. The smaller black one was off a 39 panel which had a 24 stud FH. The big one is gray because it was just sandblasted and painted primer gray for now. Both are oil bath air cleaners.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Picture #1 above is what's known as a 'hat type' oil bath air cleaner made by either United Air Cleaner Co. or Donaldson Co., Inc. These are both considered accessory air cleaners for passenger cars and probably light commercial vehicles.

Picture #2 above is a heavy duty oil bath air cleaner also made by United Air Cleaner Co. It was more commonly used for trucks than for cars but was sometimes installed on cars in especially dusty conditions.

The '37 (also '38 & '39) passenger car and probably light commercial vehicles normally used an oil wetted air cleaner, made by AC and others, which could be taken apart so the element could be cleaned and wetted. See pictures attached below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02184.jpg (65.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02185.jpg (87.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02186.jpg (84.9 KB, 29 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
DavidG

Neither air cleaner shown is the standard equipment dry air cleaner. Both are oil bath air cleaners and I believe that the one on the right is post '37 and the one on the left doesn't quite right.

You did not ask, but for what it is worth, the intake manifold on the engine is not a '37 manifold, which has a low profile to the generator mount unlike the one in the photo.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
ford38v8

John, I disagree. The #1 picture is neither the Donaldson nor the United hat type oil bath cleaner (Notice the incorrect step down at the halfway point in the body of the filter).

Picture #2 appears to be of a 79-9625, made by United, which is correct for 1937 and beyond (with a minor mounting bracket change for '39), as optional equipment for extreme dust conditions.

David, it does appear that the engine shown sports bolt-ons from several different years, as of course the block itself is incorrect for 1937.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Neither air cleaner shown is the standard equipment dry air cleaner. Both are oil bath air cleaners and I believe that the one on the right is post '37 and the one on the left doesn't quite right.

You did not ask, but for what it is worth, the intake manifold on the engine is not a '37 manifold, which has a low profile to the generator mount unlike the one in the photo.
What about the 24 stud "A" heads from a 39-40 ?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
John, I disagree. The #1 picture is neither the Donaldson nor the United hat type oil bath cleaner (Notice the incorrect step down at the halfway point in the body of the filter).

Picture #2 appears to be of a 79-9625, made by United, which is correct for 1937 and beyond (with a minor mounting bracket change for '39), as optional equipment for extreme dust conditions.

David, it does appear that the engine shown sports bolt-ons from several different years, as of course the block itself is incorrect for 1937.
Alan, I may have jumped the gun on the manufacturers given on #1. It sure looked like one of those two to me but then maybe I did not look closely enough at his picture. Thanks for the correction. I hate to mislead folks. Will an additional cup of coffee at Lake Tahoe help to smooth this over

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 07-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post

Also for what its worth the fuel pump is also incorrect/ ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
DavidG

Alan,

Oops! I did not count the studs; shame on me.

Dave
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
ford38v8

John, Morning coffee yes, but I prefer ice tea in the afternoon (Long island, that is).
Old 07-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
37fordpickup

I really appreciate all the pointers and if this restoration was going to be a show car, I would be making some changes. I dismantled the 21 stud and the 24 stud motor over 20 years ago then put all the parts and pieces away. The 21 stud from the 1937 has a bad cylinder which probably can't be sleeved. The 24 stud I removed from a 1939 Panel and has been rebuilt. I went out to the garage and pulled out the other intake and David is right. The generator mounting is at least a half inch lower. I have a Stromberg 94 and a 2 97's. A 97 is in the pictures and the intake and base match up. What do I need to be looking for as far as fuel pumps? What is in the picture needs rebuilt or tossed on the spare parts pile.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

With the generator sitting higher on that later intake, and the fan mounted to the generator pulley, the fan blades may hit the bottom of the radiator tank. Is the '37 intake still usable? You may need to switch back. Sometimes when we mix and match engines/parts/etc., it takes some time to get everything to fit/work properly again. If you are not building a show vehicle you don't need to worry about everything being totally correct as built by Henry. Which transmission are you using? From what I can see in those pictures, it looks like it may be the four speed with a granny gear/stump puller low. Nothing wrong with that if you are building a work truck. If you are building a driver, the smaller three speed may work better for you. IMO

Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
ken ct
BANNED

Theres no way your going to make that 24 stud engine look like a 37 21 stud no matter what you change. 37 fuel pump is a pretty rare item [all metal pump with offset inlet and outlet holes] The motors wrong for the car so make the best of it. OMO ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
roadstar

The smaller one on the left is the same one that came with my orignal 37 pickup.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
The smaller one on the left is the same one that came with my orignal 37 pickup.
Roadstar, I'll say it again: Notice the incorrect stepdown midway in the body of the filter.
That filter was not original to any '37 Ford.