Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
1939 Mercury

Default 39 Mercury rear axle swap

I am wanting to replace the rear axle in my 39 Mercury with a newer ford rear axle. Does anyone know which axle would be a close fit? I have an 92 F150 rear end i thought about using if it will work one reason is the bolt pattern I can put old style rims on it easily and it still look fairly normal. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help!
1939 Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 39 Mercury rear axle swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939 Mercury View Post
I am wanting to replace the rear axle in my 39 Mercury. Does anyone know which axle would be a close fit? I have an 92 F150 rear end i thought about using if it will work one reason is the bolt pattern I can put old style rims on it easily!

There's going to be more to this swap than first meets the eye. Although your '92 F150 rear has the appropriate wheel bolt pattern, the entire rear MAY be too wide for your '39 Merc. More appropriately would be an EARLY Bronco rear which is the correct width, plus it has the bolt pattern you're wanting. Those housings/assemblies are getting harder to find, but CURRY (for instance) can supply you with a housing along with the proper length axles, which you could bolt your F150 center section (pumpkin) into as well as using your brake assemblies. Of course, you would need to install one of the PARALLEL LEAF SPRING kits offered by several suppliers such as Chassis Engineering (now bought-out by Borgeson I believe) or Pete & Jakes, etc. And now, you'll need to convert to an open drive transmission, or at least convert your '39 trans to a '42-'50 open drive pick-up truck derivative. And finally, a drive shaft built to connect the two. That's the big stuff, anyway. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
1939 Mercury

Thank you for your help I dropped the old axle today and it was a lot easier than i thought it would be im going to open it up sometime and see what kind of shape it is in and if anyone would want it. As far as the transmission is concerned I am wanting to install a newer motor and transmission in it i was thinking a 5.0 v8 from a 90s F150 or mustang but I will see how things turn out
Old 01-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939 Mercury View Post
Thank you for your help I dropped the old axle today and it was a lot easier than i thought it would be im going to open it up sometime and see what kind of shape it is in and if anyone would want it. As far as the transmission is concerned I am wanting to install a newer motor and transmission in it i was thinking a 5.0 v8 from a 90s F150 or mustang but I will see how things turn out

The '39 Merc rears are kind of unique in that the drive shaft is ONE PIECE (integral) with the rear end pinion. Not much call for that part except for another early Merc owner, although there are still many pieces which can be parted-out and used on other Ford rear ends. You will likely find the most interest in your flathead V8 engine and the transmission, especially if they are operational. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
tubman

Aren't '39 Mercury's "wide-five"?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #6
1939 Mercury

Yes the Mercury is a wide five wheel I want to change over to the 5 lugs that ford used in their trucks from 1948 up until 1996 I can use old style wheels from an early f1 or f100 that way and I get a bolt pattern that is very common
Old 01-12-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
5851a

Ford stopped using 9" rear axles after 1986. Your 92 F-150 will be a 8.8". The center does not drop out, gears removed from the rear and the axles are held in with C clips. Curries can build you whatever you want along with bolt patterns on axles.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
Bored&Stroked

Given that you're thinking of swapping the entire engine, trans and rear end - you have lots of options - depending on style, budget, time, skills, tools, etc.. There are many rear end guys that can build you whatever you want - any width, any wheel bolt pattern, etc.. Also, you need to consider what type of spring hangers you'll be using, what type of locating devices (like 4 bars, etc), what type of shocks, etc.. by far the easiest way to do all of this is with the ability to take the body on/off and test fit everything before you do any final welding.

Keep in mind that this site is all about vintage styled or stock older Fords (running original engines) - most of us would not swap the old drive train out - we'd rebuild it. A better site for questions and for getting help would be the HAMB (JalopyJournal) - there are lots of folks doing the type of work you're thinking about. Y
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #9
19Fordy

1939 Mercury: Your goals are admirable but, be sure and take the time to sit down and actually figure out the pluses and misses of what you want to do and the true costs. You could end up spending a bundle of dough. Here's a thread that may interest you.
https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23287
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #10
1939 Mercury

Thank you all for your help not sure if it would be any better but I have a 56 f100 rear end too that I could use
Old 01-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #11
Ggmac

An early 70s jeep , mail jeep , 5x5.5 , narrow , strong and if from a mail jeep are posi .
Use to be cheap and plentiful.
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote