Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #41
Red98

Default Re: Flathead city, Gary Howard, Grants Pass, Or

I had a friend pop in on Gary and apparently there is progress on my engine but holes not stuffed yet. I'm to have more info (fm observer friend, not Gary) this week. I've moved (super distracted) and am patient. So what's a guy to do otherwise - it's only been 9 months already. Those elves who sneak into the machine shop at night to build engines got tiny fingers. Takes time. I heard of one guy who waited 2 years for a famed Flathead City engine. So scoff already - I'm staying the course.
Red98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:10 PM   #42
Tinker

Hey if you are good with it and the motor comes out great, all is good.

I don't know what H&H turn around is or cost. Never any complains ever made I've read on anything from deliver to engine.

Local rebuilder, not yours. Think I waited 6 months for my 37 block on a local rebuild. I know it might have been back shelfed a few times, but "tommy" (the guy that did the rebuilt for the company) was a great rebuilder. .60 over rebuild. Basic. The shop and Tommy was always nice about letting me come around and see what they were working on years later (we did bring other business too). Mind you I never intruded if they were milling etc.

Walt was another here that did some great rebuilds on budget and time. Been a while since he posted and not sure how he's doing. Solid dude.

Stay the course as you decided, free will, it's for you to decide. Report back. Always good to hear.

Maybe I missed it but what are you doing to the motor? Basic rebuild? Blown motor? Makes a difference and maybe I missed it previously.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-29-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:39 PM   #43
Red98

Default Flathead City, Gary Howad prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Maybe I missed it but what are you doing to the motor? Basic rebuild? Blown motor? Makes a difference and maybe I missed it previously.
I'm doing nothing, my Merc has a sick Ford FH. Had it 3yrs and yet to drive it. I'm 82 and my clock is ticking.

From FC I'm buying a 284 cu Merc FH overstroke overbore high compression w/ Holley bbl electronic spark w/one wire chrome alternator. Y? cuz Trump sed I cud.
Red98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:19 AM   #44
Tony, NY

Recent discussion about FC. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...highlight=city
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #45
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
First, I would call the Grants Pass police department and file a charge against him OR at least talk to a detective to see what he suggest. I got scammed years ago on a Pines Winterfront grill. ME and another fellow ended up calling the local sheriff and his investigator could not "officially" charge him (because of the value...$600) BUT through a couple visits and "implied" actions (it took about a month or so) he got two money orders from him for almost all our money back!!!! IF you can get a few others who have suffer the same fate, that helps!!!! PLUS...that much value across state lines "Could" constitute "Federal" charges and interest from larger authority!!!
Gary Howard...hmm..where have I heard this name before?
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #46
Tinker

Default Re: Flathead City, Gary Howad prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red98 View Post
I'm doing nothing, my Merc has a sick Ford FH. Had it 3yrs and yet to drive it. I'm 82 and my clock is ticking.

From FC I'm buying a 284 cu Merc FH overstroke overbore high compression w/ Holley bbl electronic spark w/one wire chrome alternator. Y? cuz Trump sed I cud.

Hell, nobody needs to tell you what to do. I don't now this company or their work and people personally, so I won't and didn't bash them. My previous responses was just to a concerned persons post on timelines. I added my experience. Not once did I say don't use them.

Sounds like a good plan. Hope all works out for you.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-01-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #47
paul2748

Contact the Secretary of States office, Fraud division. I did this when a Oregon vendor sent the wrong parts and wouldn't refund my money or send me a shipping ticket for a return. The SOS's office got my money back.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #48
53F250

Anybody get an engine yet?

Mine should be done soon.

Last edited by 53F250; 08-07-2019 at 10:55 AM.
53F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:21 PM   #49
Newc

Aug 5 '19 Local Early V8 Club members have given up on this guy, and their monies. One member is supposed to have rescued his project from the shop. No other developments with V8 Club guys. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #50
safeguy150

I too, have fallen victim to this guy to the tune of just over $7000. I have tried all sorts of Government agencies, BBB, DOJ and Atty General. Everyone seems to think that this is a civil matter between customer and provider. The DOJ got some movement but as all of you know this guy is full of S**t and probably never deliver. My question is, there was one person listed in the BBB complaint section that resolved his issue with Flathead City. Does anyone here happen to know who this person is? If so I would like to talk to him and find out what he did. I have hired an Attorney in Grants Pass OR. and am about ready to spend all it takes to get this guy either locked up or in a legal bind. The problem now is I would never trust a motor that this guy delivers, if anyone knows a person who was successful in beating this crook please let me know
safeguy150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #51
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeguy150 View Post
I have hired an Attorney in Grants Pass OR. and am about ready to spend all it takes to get this guy either locked up or in a legal bind.
Good for you!! I wish you the best of luck. It seems like he actually was delivering a product at one time. He probably has spent all the money he honestly earned and scammed people out of.
40cpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #52
51504bat

Don't know all the facts but on initial review sounds like substance abuse. JMO
Old 08-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #53
TJ

If enough people complain they can show a pattern of theft. Some of these agencies are just plain lazy and shove this stuff off as a civil matter. If Oregon has a Bureau of Automotive Repair they can initiate a criminal complaint based on the complaints from those who have been screwed by this guy. Again it has to show a pattern. In our town just recently the state BAR did a complaint on the local Midas Muffler store. They were scamming people on repairs and they got hauled into court. They paid a hefty fine and had to make a lot of restitution to those that complained.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #54
safeguy150

You're correct about enough people, the problem is that the complaints are public record but the the name of the person complaining is not. That is what I am trying to find out, when you get stung for a large sum of money all you can think about is how to get it back, and I am sure that is what everyone else is doing also.

I am sincerely grateful for all of the comments and suggestions, thank you

If anyone is interested in joining together we can figure some way of contacting each other, not sure if you are allowed to post your email on this site
safeguy150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #55
Tinker

You can post your email but I would not on a thread of this sort ...maybe. Maybe private message a few that have shared bad experiences and then if they respond to you could trade emails or private info. My suggestion anyway.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:20 PM   #56
daveymc29

"Elder Financial Abuse will also get peoples attention. Even Chase bank evidently didn't want to fight me on that and refunded some fraud that was over the 60 day period, they say. I say not as I tried to report it before the 60 days was up and since their computers were down nothing they could do? Well the finally did after our DA went with the Elder Financial Abuse and other charges.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #57
chap52

Wrong is wrong. No matter how nice a person may have been in the past. When they choose to rip people off they need to become a "defendant". Life's circumstances may cause us to make poor decisions, but all decisions have consequences.
I worked as a Prison Chaplain for over 30 years and have heard all kinds of "rationalizations" and "justifications". But they are still choices that impacted others and need to be corrected before a person can move on with life.
In other words, you can't be a jerk all your life because your grandma kicked your cat sixty years ago. Accountability for choices... Chap

Last edited by chap52; 08-10-2019 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typo
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #58
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
Wrong is wrong. No matter how nice a person may have been in the pas.t When they choose to rip people off they need to become a "defendant". Life's circumstances may cause us to make poor decisions, but all decisions have consequences.
I worked as a Prison Chaplain for over 30 years and have heard all kinds of "rationalizations" and "justifications". But they are still choices that impacted others and need to be corrected before a person can move on with life.
In other words, you can't be a jerk all your life because your grandma kicked your cat sixty years ago. Accountability for choices... Chap
I agree totally - especially in this country where you have the freedom to make a LOT of choices (good or bad).

The ole' 'Do Unto Others' rule is so simple, but so many people find every way to not follow it . . . as they're always the exception!
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #59
deuce5wndw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
Wrong is wrong. No matter how nice a person may have been in the pas.t When they choose to rip people off they need to become a "defendant". Life's circumstances may cause us to make poor decisions, but all decisions have consequences.
I agree! Lot's of common sense in this post! One of our problems is it's always someone else's fault!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:31 PM   #60
qmdv

I am an hour south of Medford, OR. So that puts me about an 1.5 hrs south of Grants Pass. I have a pickup. If any of you guys have to fly to Medford to get this settled, I would do what I could to help you out. I am in town most of the time. You can PM me
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote