Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Center oval bumper clamp question

I have a question concerning the oval center bumper clamps used on mid 29 to late 29 cars. The Judging Guidelines are a little unclear about how they were constructed. Is states SOME are brass clad and stainless clad. My question is: Were all the oval clamps used from mid 29 to late 29 clad or were some forged (no cladding) like the larger clamps? If someone know if they were ALL clad or just some clad, please post a response. I guess I would have thought many would be made like the larger clamps that were forged in 28 and 29.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Center oval bumper clamp question

Unfortunately I've never taken a pic of one even though I've peeled and restored a couple. They were all clad and I've never seen anything but a plated brass skin. The wording on the subject is poor to say the least.

The '29 clamp is pretty unique. Look carefully at the side view drawing on page 15-4. The vertical line parallel to, and just behind the front face represents quite accurately the edge of the cover after crimping. The base or back of the clamp is a sheet metal stamping with a threaded hole in the center. The clamp is entirely hollow and much lighter weight than all the other types. They will dent quite easily since there is no steel backing behind the brass face.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
160B

I defer to the above post!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
nhusa

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I will soon need to find clamps (hardware) for the rear bumper for my 31 town sedan I have the old 4 bumpers and brackets but no hardware. I do not want new stuff because everything about the car is unrestored What should I look for and where is a good place to get them.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhusa View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread but I will soon need to find clamps (hardware) for the rear bumper for my 31 town sedan I have the old 4 bumpers and brackets but no hardware. I do not want new stuff because everything about the car is unrestored What should I look for and where is a good place to get them.
ask the guys at Berts in Colorado. Phil has a 31 sedan, and they have lots of original parts

3560 Chestnut Place
Denver, Colorado 80216
Toll Free: 1-800-321-1931
Phone: 303-293-FORD (3673) or 720-377-0063
Fax: 303-484-7630
Email: [email protected]
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
5window

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhusa View Post
I'd suggest contacting Bill at Bill's Model A Acres in Watsontown,PA. He has a lot of original Fords and parts-worth a trip just to see those barns (maybe not tonight in 8" of snow, though).
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Steve Wastler

Here are a few pics of my 29 center clamp opened up. My camera is turning into a pos, so pics aren't too good. On the face it would appear to be plated brass, but opened up, it sure looks like stainless. When I have a few minutes, ill see if I can determine which it is.

Last edited by Steve Wastler; 05-10-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
5window

I have always preferred very first round center clamp-wish they'd stayed with that design.

Last edited by 5window; 12-20-2013 at 07:19 PM.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
wrndln

Steve,
Thanks for posting pictures of the 29 style bumper clamp. This is the first time I have seen pictures of one. Now if I could find one to use on my 29 pickup.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
dave in australia

Thanks for the pics Steve. I've never seen this style, most down here in Oz were the earlier forged round style.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
wrndln

I believe all center bumper clamps, round and oval were clad with brass or some type of steel (plated, unless they were stainless). There were forgings under the cladding, but not forged only like 28/29 main bumper clamps.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
redmodelt

Is this statement correct: The first layer in plating is brass unless the item is made of brass. So it would show as brass if the nickle was worn off.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #13
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
I have always preferred very first round center clamp-wish they'd stayed with that design.
Canadian 1929 cars continued to use the round Ford script composite style to the end of '29 production.
They then went to a solid oval style like the Canadian smooth bumper clamps, then in late '30 until the end of production the bolt head protruded through, similar to US late Model T accessory bumpers.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
wrndln

I have an original round center bumper clamp I am going to install on my late 28 special coupe. It has a brass cladding which I had renickeled. I haven't tried to paint the blue in the recesses yet. I am not sure how to paint the face. The steel backing part is as I bought it. I need to beadblast it and paint it gloss black. Anyway, I am posting the pictures I have of the round bumper clamp. I don't have a picture of the back of the backing plate, but it is just a stud with a hex nut and lock washer.
Rusty Nelson

Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
Hunter

Rusty,

I tried painting mine several times and was never able to get it to look as nice as I desired. My wife painted it once and it was closer but still not as close as I wanted. I used a bush and just keep adding paint and let it flow and then wiped off the raised portions. Still wasn't happy. Finally asked Jim Brand to paint it and it came out super. I would have saved a lot of frustration by just sending it to him.

Have a great holiday - Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
wrndln

I have wondered if the blue paint will adhere to the polished nickel. It must, because I can't see how a person could scuff the intricate areas that need to be painted.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
Hunter

Seems to adhere just fine. No issues with it coming off.

Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
wrndln

Hunter,
I sent a PM to Jim Brand about painting my clamp. I am hoping to get a second original clamp for my phaeton. I have a lead and hopefully it will result in a restorable original round clamp. If I end up getting a second clamp, I could have him paint both clamps. Thanks for the information.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
MNFATS

I have not tried to paint a center clamp, but I have painted several bumper clamps and was not satisfied. I bought some Testors blue paint, which is very close to Ford blue, and poured it into the recessed areas. The clamps looked great and have held up for several years now. The trick is to get it thinned just right. Why not give that a try on the center clamp? If it does not work out just take it off with paint thinner.
MNFATS is offline   Reply With Quote