Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #41
bdtutton

Default Re: Model T as a daily driver

I started this thread a couple of years ago and had not looked at it in a while. There are a lot of comments, but they all seem to agree that the Model T can be a reliable car if it is well maintained, but it is slow and unsafe and should only be driven in rural areas where the traffic is light and the speed limits are slow. I like the comment that the Model T is a wagon with an engine and the Model A is more like a modern car.
For now I have a modern car I drive when I have to travel very far or the weather is bad, but when the weather is clear and there is no salt on the roads I like to drive my 1930 Tudor to work and to the store. I found the biggest problem getting around is not the Model A, but the other drivers. People do not understand hand signals or the limitations of an older car. The car looks stock, but it has a lot of modifications to make it fit into modern traffic...
Here is what has been done to my Model A....LED headlights, LED taillights, LED turn signals, LED brake light in the rear window. It also has shock absorbers, the new Coker radial white wall tires and even retractable 3 point seat belts...and a manifold heater so I don't freeze.
I think for now I will stick with my Model A, but will still plan to get a Model T after my son graduates from college and i convince my wife I need one.... :-) But, when I get a Model T I plan to upgrade the lights and the brakes.
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:26 AM   #42
JoeBauer

And a good thread it is!

I would disagree with, " should only be driven in rural areas where the traffic is light and the speed limits are slow." Here in central VA rural areas tend to have dangerous roads with high speed limits and are the most dangerous place to drive. Suburban roads, subdivisions, and city driving are the safest. They are also not as boring!
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:09 PM   #43
dumb person

I can drive in rush hour traffic.
Because nobody is rushing. It's faster to get out & walk at times.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #44
39portlander

Thanks for getting back here on Fordbarn with an update and hope you get a T soon, there are plenty out there.

It's a great topic with reasonable people replying and understanding that a Model T safety inspection form from the MTFCA is available and having the vehicle pass muster on this form keeps it ready for the road, period.

The key phrase and word here is "reasonable people" and "understanding"
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:52 AM   #45
stivemorgan

Honestly I thought that cars such as Model T should stay in garage like some museum exhibits. Well it is probably great to ride it like everyday car.
stivemorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #46
Gary loves Fords

I have a 1909 and a 1927 Model T and tour with them all the time. We average over 100 miles a day. As long as you maintain them, tighten the lug nuts, make sure you have enough oil and coolant, they will travel every bit as far as a model A, ,only not quite as fast.
Gary loves Fords is offline   Reply With Quote