Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #11
expavr

Default Re: Risk of using old (over 10 years) tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook00pad View Post
I had a friend who was bringing his very nice diesel pusher motorhome back to Kentucky, after wintering in sunny Florida. His wife and her twin sister were with him. He blew a front right tire, while driving about 65 which caused him to lose control and ran off the right side of I-10 near Tallahassee. The tire came apart, taking out the propane tank which was near it, igniting that fuel source. They all three died. Not sure how old the tires were, but the MH was over 10 yrs old and the tires had been replaced. Tires do fail without warning! Especially when older. I have blown at least three rear tires on my unit over the years. Thankfully never a front.
I had a blowout on the outside rear tire of our coach and when I took it to our tire shop to get a replacement was told that both tires on that side of the coach would have to be replaced due to the difference in tread thickness and tire diameter. They said it was unsafe to operate the coach with rear duallys that have mismatched tire diameters. That had not occurred to me, but it makes sense as one tire would be taking more of the load.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote