Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
40cpe

Default Another clutch chatter thread

Noticing the recent threads on clutch chatter makes me want to post my issue but I won't interfere with the other threads. The clutch chatters when the engine is cold but doesn't when the engine is fully warm. The chatter is at the top of the pedal at the at the end of the release. If I start off in second gear it doesn't chatter. 276"/L100 8BA is 3 years/4000 miles old. I had the Borg and Beck Mercury clutch rebuilt at Fort Wayne Brake and Clutch. The flywheel was resurfaced and a new pilot bushing installed. The engine is in a '38 that I converted the clutch pedal and linkage to '40 Ford parts to eliminate the pushing effect on the engine/trans assembly when operating the clutch. The U-joint seemed tight with no slack or play. The clutch was flawless for a few hundred miles, then developed a chatter. I began to notice that the chatter would be much less at times. I've tried motor/trans mount adjustment from snug to running all the threads down with no noticeable difference. I've watched it for a few cycles and it is consistent. Any ideas that I can run down on the cause would be appreciated.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote