Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
My Old Blue

Default 56' 312 Oiler Tube Alignment in Shaft

Received in some parts in to start work back up on my 56' 312 Country Sedan wagon. Ordered two new rocker shaft oiler tubes to replace the passenger side that was missing and the drivers side that was bent over.

What I found interesting is the tube I did have on drivers side looked nothing like what I ordered. I removed the original tube and and tried to place new tube into the top of the rocker and it would not press in and was obviously hung up on something down the hole.

Took a few pictures to show and it appears the shaft has turned or not installed correctly sometime in the past and not allowing the tube to press in all the way down to the flange, thus the hybrid tube I had on there?

My question: Could I simply loosen the rocker shaft clamps and re-align shaft so that the tube fits and re-torque down? Contemplating removing the rocker assembly and at least clean it up as I not ready for a complete overhaul.

Suggestions welcomed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180122_173035_resized_1.jpg (68.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20180122_174742_resized.jpg (55.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 20180122_174757_resized.jpg (47.5 KB, 56 views)
My Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan
Default Re: 56' 312 Oiler Tube Alignment in Shaft

Yes you could. If you remove the assembly, make sure the oil feed hole from the head is feeding to the shaft through the shaft support. Check that the rocker arm oil holes in the shaft are clean . Wish I'd known you needed those spill tubes. I would've given you all you need. Don't use them on a rebuild. Prefer pressurized rocker assemblies.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
My Old Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdreams View Post
Yes you could. If you remove the assembly, make sure the oil feed hole from the head is feeding to the shaft through the shaft support. Check that the rocker arm oil holes in the shaft are clean . Wish I'd known you needed those spill tubes. I would've given you all you need. Don't use them on a rebuild. Prefer pressurized rocker assemblies.
Awh man! Thanks, that would have been a great deal. I got hosed for like $8.00 each on the tubes and that was because I ordered for a T-Bird and if I ordered the tubes as a Passenger Car they were $14.95 each..go figure

Thank you for the advise.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
..... make sure the oil feed hole from the head is feeding to the shaft through the shaft support. ....
Here's a photo of where the oil feed holes are under the rocker arm stands. There's only one oil hole for each head / rocker arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heads, oil passage holes.jpg (96.5 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-23-2018 at 04:23 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
My Old Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Here's a photo of where the oil feed holes are under the rocker arm stands.
Great reference picture. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
miker98038

Streetdreams brought up a good point. A lot of us plug that hole, leaving a small orffice to bleed the air out. Those tubes basically dump oil down to the dizzy drive gear and timing chain. With modern parts and oil, it’s debatable about whether you need them. One of the guy’s over at http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/default.aspx has figured out how far to pinch the end, still flow a little oil, and pressurize the shaft. Might go over there and ask.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
My Old Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
Streetdreams brought up a good point. A lot of us plug that hole, leaving a small orffice to bleed the air out. Those tubes basically dump oil down to the dizzy drive gear and timing chain. With modern parts and oil, it’s debatable about whether you need them. One of the guy’s over at http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/default.aspx has figured out how far to pinch the end, still flow a little oil, and pressurize the shaft. Might go over there and ask.
Good info, I will go read up. Thank you.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #8
justold

Quote:
If you don't use the tubes what lubes the distributor gear and timing chain ?
justold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
Ole Don

My method oils what needs to be oiled, but takes longer than simply pinching the tube. I remove the tubes, and cut off the end with a tube cutter to get a square end. I cut them as close as possible to the end. Then I debur the inside of the tube, and the ID is the correct size to tap for 10-24. I tap them about 5/8 inch, then debur the end again. I take a 10-24 x 1/2 Philips head screw and clamp it gently in the drill press vice, then drill a hole all the way through the screw. The Philips head will center the bit for you. I used anywhere from a 1/16 to a 1/8 bit. The causes pressure to all the rockers, and puts oil where it needs to be for the timing chain and the dizzy gears. I have pictures of the rocker shafts after many thousands of miles, they look as new.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
My Old Blue

Great solution! Pictures please.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #11
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

The spillover oil from lubricating the rocker arms is plenty to lube both the dist gear and timing chain. Tim McMaster shows this in a video he has of a running engine with pressurized rockers. More than enough oil flowing along the cylinder head to lube everything.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #12
Crankster

You can still find rocker assemblies for not too much money or build up your own, the problem was poor oiling, and poor oils. Heavy galling on the lower side of the rocker shafts and rocker arms is pretty much guaranteed.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
streetdreams

Poor oiling, poor oil, agreed. The issue of pressurized , semi pressurized or original spillover has been beaten to death many times. Modified shafts with slotted lower oil holes for rocker lube and a fully pressurized rocker shaft assembly, along with numerous lube system modifications to both block and heads, are my recipe for a happy Y Block. JMHO
Old 01-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #14
My Old Blue

Disassembled a set of rockers today and did see galling on lower side of rocker shaft. What did puzzle me was the added numbers that are stamped on rockers aside from the part# 5751066. Was seeing that every rocker had a 2 to 3 digit number stamped on adjuster flange. Does it mean something?
Old 01-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #15
My Old Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Old Blue View Post
Disassembled a set of rockers today and did see galling on lower side of rocker shaft. What did puzzle me was the added numbers that are stamped on rockers aside from the part# 5751066. Was seeing that every rocker had a 2 to 3 digit number stamped on adjuster flange. Does it mean something?
Think I answered part of my own question..maybe. Found on Mummet's site I have 58-64 Self locking 1.43:1 Rockers. Go figure and par for the course with my wagon. I learn something new everytime I dig deeper: 56'wagon, 312 57 block, 56 heads, 58-64 rockers, crossover single exhaust.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:55 PM   #16
streetdreams

ECG's are 1.54. I once worked on a '57 TBird 312 with a 1.43 shaft on the left and a 1.54 shaft on the right.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #17
My Old Blue

Quote:
ECG's are 1.54. I once worked on a '57 TBird 312 with a 1.43 shaft on the left and a 1.54 shaft on the right.
Safe to say any rocker with ECG 6564 no matter what year Ford it came out of I can use? I ask because I'm looking and found several assemblies that the sellers would say came out a 60' Truck or 272-292. I have a 312.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:43 PM   #18
dmsfrr

Quote:
Safe to say any rocker with ECG 6564 no matter what year Ford it came out of I can use? I ask because I'm looking and found several assemblies that the sellers would say came out a 60' Truck or 272-292. I have a 312.
The 1.54 ratio ECG rocker arms were apparently originally available (only) in '56/'57, see the link below... Most likely to be found in Thunderbirds and 'Thunderbird Special' engines in full sized Fords.
I'd also expect to find them in the 4bbl '56/'57 Mercury 312's.
'56 & earlier rocker arms had a lock nut on the slotted adjusting screw, '57 & later are self locking.

IF rocker arms are original to an engine '58 or newer they should be 1.43's. But given the number of years since new you can't be sure of what someone may have put in.
Mis-matched sets are quite common and can turn up in almost any y-block engine.
What matters is their condition and the casting number on each rocker arm.

http://ford-y-block.com/rockerarm.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rocker arm number location.jpg (57.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg rocker arm adj bolts.jpg (96.5 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-28-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: OCD and can't help retyping/correcting my replies
Old 01-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #19
My Old Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
With as many years since new and the number of times most of these engines have been worked on... it doesn't really matter what the seller says they came out of. What matters is the casting number on each rocker arm.
Mis-matched sets are very common.
The only other difference is the earlier rocker arms had a lock nut on the adjusting screw and the later ones ('57+) are self locking.

http://ford-y-block.com/rockerarm.htm
I have that link bookmarked and I suspected my thought process is correct. Thank you for confirming.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #20
dmsfrr

Quote:
.... par for the course with my wagon. I learn something new everytime I dig deeper: 56'wagon, 312 57 block, 56 heads, 58-64 rockers, crossover single exhaust.
With the number of hands that have been in these cars over the years I'd bet a paycheck that it's MUCH more likely to find mis-matched parts than original.
In my own 'digging deeper' example I went back 10 yrs and 2 owners for information that the car was claimed to have it's original '55 292.
But it doesn't matter what the seller says...
The engine was really a '54 Merc 256 with a few shiny Thunderbird parts on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55-6a.JPG (58.5 KB, 12 views)