Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
philipswanson

Default Machinist San Diego Area Banjo Sleeve

I am looking for an experienced machinist who has machined the Banjo axle housings to install a repair sleeve for the wheel bearing race. We have several good machinists but I am looking for someone that has done this a time or two. I have a '40 woody.

Thanks, Phil Swanson

Last edited by philipswanson; 02-17-2018 at 07:41 PM.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Machinist San Diego Area Banjo Sleeve

Phil, Check with C&G in Escondido. They will be able to have them done for you by one of their local machinists, or they may send you there directly.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
philipswanson

C&G sends them out to Columbia Two Speed Parts in Cottonwood, AZ. I want to find somebody local in San Diego area and avoid all the hassle of shipping if possible. Also, no need for a middle man.

Thanks, Phil Swanson

Last edited by philipswanson; 02-13-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:10 AM   #4
ford38v8

That's just a short drive in the country, Phil! Oh, and about middlemen, this type of project is one where a good middleman is worth his commission. I'm not sure where Clyde lives in AZ, but I'd bet that the machinist in Cottonwood is known personally to him.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
That's just a short drive in the country, Phil! Oh, and about middlemen, this type of project is one where a good middleman is worth his commission. I'm not sure where Clyde lives in AZ, but I'd bet that the machinist in Cottonwood is known personally to him.
Short drive in the county? 450 miles each way times two round trips. Clyde isn't going to take it over there.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Some time ago it was reported that some of the sleeves available were not made of the correct material, or possibly not heat treated correctly. You never mentioned which year housing you need repaired, but if you are dealing with a housing that has an attached spring hanger, the machine shop must have equipment that can handle the swing of that attached hanger. As someone else mentioned, finding a good used housing would be easier and less costly in the long run.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
mike in tucson

Try Hot Rods and Custom Stuff in Escondido.... I think they recently did an axle sleeving. 760-745-1170
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
philipswanson

[QUOTE=ford38v8; this type of project is one where a good middleman is worth his commission. I'm not sure where Clyde lives in AZ, but I'd bet that the machinist in Cottonwood is known personally to him.[/QUOTE]

Why should I pay C&G or Clyde to take or send an axle housing to the same guy I know over there. A commission, yea right.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in tucson View Post
Try Hot Rods and Custom Stuff in Escondido.... I think they recently did an axle sleeving. 760-745-1170
Thanks, I'll give them a try. Phil
Old 02-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Why should I pay C&G or Clyde to take or send an axle housing to the same guy I know over there. A commission, yea right.
I understand your thinking, but you would need to check pricing. The middle guy is often given a discount which may or many not equal the markup. So, without checking both I wouldn't assume a big savings going direct.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #11
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Why? Clyde is the C in C&G. Clyde lives in Cottonwood. Clyde's Daughter is the middleman. I think you can do no better. But then, it's your dime, so spend it wherever you like.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:59 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Why? Clyde is the C in C&G. Clyde lives in Cottonwood. Clyde's Daughter is the middleman. I think you can do no better. But then, it's your dime, so spend it wherever you like.
Alan, I'm wondering what an estimated cost might be, parts + labor, to have a bearing sleeve repair done on one axle housing?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 02-18-2018, 12:47 AM   #13
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Alan, I'm wondering what an estimated cost might be, parts + labor, to have a bearing sleeve repair done on one axle housing?
John, I'm afraid I have no idea of the cost. When I needed mine done, I took them to All Ford Parts in Campbell, Ca. They farmed them out, and guaranteed the sleeves and workmanship. In those days, I practically lived at their shop, and in fact, they let me use their press to change out my pinion gear for that rebuild.

If your question is about your '35 housings, you can save the cost by flipping them over left to right, as the wear is always on the underside, and your perches are separate from the housings.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:00 AM   #14
cas3

a couple things here, as jm stated many of these bearing sleeves were known to be too soft. the best ones were from john connely, aka columbia two speed. i dont know who he has make them for him, but they are supposed to be the best available. columbia two speed moved to cottonwood az two years ago and does the machining to install. i have a set here, instructions say .001/.002 press fit with minimum .030+ radius. many of my model a friends used to have the housings ground to size as the feeling was they are too hard to cut on the lathe. our friend Mart from across the pond proved that to be wrong an a post awhile back where he cut them on his lathe. model A thru 34 will fit in a more common 14" lathe, while the later housings get longer spring mounts, need a bigger lathe, or like Mart did, you bend the spring hangers out of the way. so, my point is buy the sleeves and go down the street to any machine shop, its not a big deal
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
John, I'm afraid I have no idea of the cost. When I needed mine done, I took them to All Ford Parts in Campbell, Ca. They farmed them out, and guaranteed the sleeves and workmanship. In those days, I practically lived at their shop, and in fact, they let me use their press to change out my pinion gear for that rebuild.

If your question is about your '35 housings, you can save the cost by flipping them over left to right, as the wear is always on the underside, and your perches are separate from the housings.
Alan, my question was mainly for my own curiosity. I have a good collection of 35-36 axle housings saved for my own use and usually do as you say, flip them side to side depending on how they are worn. I need to build two 35-36 rears this spring for my own cars, using 3.78 and 3.54 gears.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

Found this post while doing a search. May have some info of interest...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...housing+repair