Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #21
19Fordy

Default Re: My Summer Project

New fuel tank sending units for your car are really hard to find. Don't throw it away. Lots of info. in the SEARCH function.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #22
Emmit51

Thanks guys. Nothing gets thrown away! I have a box of things I've taken out of the car when replacing them. The car came without a radio, but I found an original one for the car back in the 80s that my dad and I got going (He used to be a TV repairman when those existed, and even had most of the tubes we needed on hand). I still have the original cover plates that covered up the holes for the radio on the dash... Never know what might come in handy later on.
Emmit51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #23
Emmit51

Hey Folks, my project has been slowly moving along. I have new water pumps installed, as well as motor mounts and new hoses and thermostats. Now have moved on to the fuel system.

Pulled the fuel tank sending unit and it was heavily rusted, as many expected it would be. Managed to clean it up and it looks to be serviceable. Gas left in the tank is varnish.

Couple questions:

Anybody know if there is something I can use to coat the metal of the sending unit to prevent rusting/corrosion? Or, will a clean tank and fresh fuel solve most of that problem?

Also, been looking at getting a new gas tank, but all the ones I could find do not accept the original sending unit (which I want to keep). Anyone know if there is an adapter plate or other workaround for this? If not, I think I'll try cleaning and sealing the old tank with something like PQR15
Old 09-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #24
leon bee

There is an adapter plate. I saw one not long ago, but can't remember who was offering it.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #25
Emmit51

thanks. I just found one that allows you to put an aftermarket 5 bolt sender on an old 6 bolt tank, but that's the opposite of what I want to do. Seeing the difference in size of hole required for old and new sender, it does seem like I'd have to cut a bigger hole in a new tank to fit my stock sender. Not sure I want to go that route, may focus on cleaning my tank instead.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #26
leon bee

I couldn't remember which way it went. I kinda wanted a new tank for my 50, but for your same reasons I spent hours cleaning my old one.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote