Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
BILL WZOREK

Default What are your plans when ~~

When the time comes when you can no longer drive your car.
what will you do with it ?

SHEBA will be going to My wife then one of the children >>>
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: What are your plans when ~~

If I am the last to "go", I am going to give them away to someone
who will appreciate and also be a good custodian of 2 cars: '40 Ford coupe
and a '51 Merc convertible.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 01-15-2015 at 01:06 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
malpais

Hope my son, now 30, will be interested enough to drive the PU.

He loves the VW thing we restored in his high school years........
Old 01-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
Barry-ct

It will be up to my wife to sell my truck. My 2 son in laws are not old car people. One could care less and the other would hot rod it and I don't want that! He's into rice rockets. Ugh!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
If I am the last to "go", I am going to give them away to someone
who will appreciate and also be a good custodian of 2 cars: '40 Ford coupe
and a '51 Merc convertible.
I believe you know how much I APPRECIATE many aspects of your coupe, and I PROMISE I would take really good care of it for my duration......just sayin'! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Joe Immler

My '41 Coupe goes to my son. I have willed it to him but will give it to him should the time come (God Forbid) that I can no longer drive.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

Bill,
Dammit man don't even think that way..........!!!!!!!
Our '41 1/2 ton is in our will , it'll go to our son in law.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
Old Henry

Hopefully our family tradition will continue. I now drive my dad around in the car he bought when I was 7 years old. Hopefully my youngest son, who helped me restore "Old Henry", will be willing and interested in doing the same as well as keep it on the road, which takes a ton of time and money I've found out.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
rockfla

Let me be the first to say....the gratuity of any barner who wants a principled custodian of their vehicle, I'm 49 years old, hate hotrods, and will keep your car as you wish....anytime you wish. Let me know first!!!! I will just add them to my dads and appreciate them just the same. OH AND DRIVE IT like it should be!!!

Thank You.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
D. Jones

My 45, 1/2 ton is going to our second daughter, she asked for it. I don't know who will get the 51, F-3 yet, probably the oldest son. If I get a 53 Vicky for the wife she can decide what to do with it, she just gave her Corvette to our youngest son so the Vicky most likely would go to him also.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
ford38v8

If I can't drive it, nobody will drive it.
i've made arrangements to be cremated ...in my Ford.

Just kidding, I might do the chicken run like in Rebel Without a Cause!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #12
Talkwrench

I don't even want to think about it..
Old 01-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #13
19Fordy

V8: Ok. I'll remember that. After all we both HEARD about the secret.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #14
Binx

My '41 pickup was given to me by my father. It wasn't a family hand-me-down or anything. He'd never had an antique vehicle before but I guess he knew it was a good deal and bought it. I puttered around with it to get it running when he was going to sell it for a profit. I think he noticed how much time I was studying up and spending time with it and decided to give it to me. I received it when I was 18-years-old for my high school graduation gift. I spent a long career in the Air Force bouncing around the world raising two boys who weren't familiar with the pickup since it was stored in my hometown. They grew up and are now on their separate ways and never interested in or familiar with my pickup. That's okay with me. It was never a part of their lives like it was mine. I now have my pickup in my garage in, well, a basket case state for now but everything is neatly boxed and labeled by category in one location. If that sudden moment comes, my wife knows The current price and where everything is.

Now I flip the coin. My dad in his later years had the desire and the means to restore both a '59 Plymouth Fury and a '57 Chrysler 300. He's gone now and my mom has asked me if I'd like to have them. To both I've declined. I don't have the personal connection, storage, or devotion to keep show cars.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Talking Re: What are your plans when ~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
My '41 pickup was given to me by my father. It wasn't a family hand-me-down or anything. He'd never had an antique vehicle before but I guess he knew it was a good deal and bought it. I puttered around with it to get it running when he was going to sell it for a profit. I think he noticed how much time I was studying up and spending time with it and decided to give it to me. I received it when I was 18-years-old for my high school graduation gift. I spent a long career in the Air Force bouncing around the world raising two boys who weren't familiar with the pickup since it was stored in my hometown. They grew up and are now on their separate ways and never interested in or familiar with my pickup. That's okay with me. It was never a part of their lives like it was mine. I now have my pickup in my garage in, well, a basket case state for now but everything is neatly boxed and labeled by category in one location. If that sudden moment comes, my wife knows The current price and where everything is.

Now I flip the coin. My dad in his later years had the desire and the means to restore both a '59 Plymouth Fury and a '57 Chrysler 300. He's gone now and my mom has asked me if I'd like to have them. To both I've declined. I don't have the personal connection, storage, or devotion to keep show cars.

Lonnie
Lonnie, you Sir are an honorable man!

PS: Ask your mom if she'd like to immediately adopt another SON (that would be me) . . . and I promise to take really good care of that 57 Chrysler - will drive her around all she wants!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #16
malpais

Sure is a lot of wishful thinkin' here. Don't think anyones gonna really give any of us an old Ford.........
Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
alanwoodieman

Binx, get the 41 out of the boxes and put it back together, it does not have to be perfect, and go for a ride. My sons are car guys, but into Camaro's, Corvette's, its ok with me but I would like one of them to have an interest in one of my flathead Fords. My grandson likes to ride around in the 41, 3/4 ton stake bed maybe he will want it when he gets a little older. He shifts the gears for me when we ride in it together. Will get him behind the wheel soon!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9300012.jpg (100.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P2280010.jpg (109.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P4080001.jpg (114.2 KB, 10 views)
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #18
Sixseven

If I pass before my wife and she sells my cars and tools for what she thinks I paid for them, someone will be getting a great deal. Make that an amazingly unbelievable deal.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #19
Drbrown

Unlike many of you, I'm 76 and only back into flat heads in the last 1-1/2 year since I got my '47 .... although I had a couple in the late 50's. Regardless, my daughters down south not interested but my 26 year old son in Boston seems to be although he's not around much to get involved. He's a quick learner so I hope I'm around long enough to get him to get him "hooked" .... I just have to get his attention and time.

All this discussion prompts me to envision a flat head donation "pool" of some sort, someplace ..... a place where we can donate our cars to a non-profit type organization/collection and where interested persons can go to negotiate a reasonable purchase (to support the endeavor). Personally, if there was no future for my car within my family I would rather do that and leave this place with the hope that the flat head's will live-on.

Someone want to start a thread on that idea !!!!!! How about a Flat Head 2 yr Educational Institute, Library for Literature, Library for Loaner Specialty Tools, etc etc etc You guys could all be Department Heads and Professors !

Last edited by Drbrown; 01-15-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #20
Binx

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
Binx, get the 41 out of the boxes and put it back together, it does not have to be perfect, and go for a ride. My sons are car guys, but into Camaro's, Corvette's, its ok with me but I would like one of them to have an interest in one of my flathead Fords. My grandson likes to ride around in the 41, 3/4 ton stake bed maybe he will want it when he gets a little older. He shifts the gears for me when we ride in it together. Will get him behind the wheel soon!!
I had my first grandchild born this past May and he'll help me finish putting it back together then we'll ride together. All by design. -- oh and the models, rockets, gliders and airplanes too. He needs to know those joys.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote