Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
Jwawhite

Default Helping Get Rid of Sound a Bit

It's been a year since the interior rear panels were removed and they're out again for some welding and new sound/ heat material install---floor
The muffler tips were moved from the rear bumper and positioned out towards the rear sides, behind the wheel.
Driving the car with this arrangement has created new humming? Sound from the rear compartment, the deadly muffler drone?
Since the panels are off what material can I attach to the inside metal? The car was designed for some water to pass through the rear windows down the interior panels, out the drain holes, so this material has to withstand occasional moisture and not contribute to rust.

Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0527.jpg (29.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0528.jpg (27.3 KB, 15 views)
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: Helping Get Rid of Sound a Bit

There’s always dynamat and it’s automotive competitors, but a lot of guys seem to like this type of product from the local big box store. Don’t know who’s close to you, but should be cheaper than this. Generically refered to as peel and stick.

http://buymbs.com/p-113-mfm-peel-sea...iABEgKzLfD_BwE
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
rick55

I don’t think any of the mats are a good idea on the inside of the quarter panels as there is the risk of holding dirt and dust between them. Personally I would make sure it is completely dry and spray a good quality body deadener in the area. There is always going to be water coming into area from the rear quarter window.

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
56 ranch

On my ranch wagon, I attached dynamat to the back side of the side panels.
56 ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
Jwawhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 ranch View Post
On my ranch wagon, I attached dynamat to the back side of the side panels.
Interesting, was there an improvement?
Old 05-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
rotorwrench

I have two 1951 Mercury cars. One was sprayed with factory undercoat and the other was not. They were both residing in the same basic climate for most of their existence. The undercoat (tar based) cracked and allowed moisture to get in against the body framing and caused major cancer. The other car has some rust outs in a few places but no major cancer.

Ford did a terrible job of coating the metal in body enclosures so they were vulnerable to corrosion anywhere moisture can get in. It's too bad they didn't make scuppers for the rear windows in those old wagons. With doors, your stuck with the water coming in around the roll down windows.

Putting sound deadener on the inner cover panels isn't a bad idea. Keeping the car in the garage during the rainy season is not a bad idea either. Drive the modern throw away cars when it rains.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
56 ranch

I found that adding dynamat to the backside of the panels helped a lot in deadening the sound.
56 ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Jwawhite

I've heard that Lowes sells a product that works well, self adhesive, anyone use this?
How about the Fiberglass Evercoat 12"X12" panels? About $7 each! Self adhearing, I don't think they'd hold water...

Last edited by Jwawhite; 05-03-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: Helping Get Rid of Sound a Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post

I've heard that Lowes sells a product that works well, self adhesive, anyone use this?

How about the Fiberglass Evercoat 12"X12" panels? About $7 each! Self adhearing, I don't think they'd hold water...
This gentleman has it right (IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post

There’s always dynamat and it’s automotive competitors, but a lot of guys seem to like this type of product from the local big box store. Don’t know who’s close to you, but should be cheaper than this. Generically refered to as peel and stick.

http://buymbs.com/p-113-mfm-peel-seal-self-stick-roll-roofing.aspx?vid=8888&utm_source=Google&utm_medium =Product_CPC&utm_campaign=8888gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw7 qxmNDl2gIVGP5kCh2fFAklEAQYAiABEgKzLfD_BwE
DYNAMAT - http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/

for the floors/toe boards (sound and heat insulation) and the above material for the inside of the trim panels. All weather seals have to be good also.

Where are your outlet pipes now? Do they extend beyond the body?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
Jwawhite

Hi K, the outlets on the quarters and doors are slits perpendicular to the panel bottoms. Further the rear ward slit is pushed up a bit, backward facing funnel. They've been cleaned out in the past with a screwdriver below and from the interior side with panels off.
That rolled roofing is great for roofs, stopping leaks but I'm wondering if there is an odor about it.
I've got some great material for the floor, now need something for the vertical wet areas. There is that Evercoat spray deadener product, perhaps a base of that and a few Dynamats around the exhaust area...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0472.JPG (74.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0259.jpg (62.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Helping Get Rid of Sound a Bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post

...now need something for the vertical wet areas. There is that Evercoat spray deadener product, perhaps a base of that and a few Dynamats around the exhaust area...
Looks good so far...

Kinda hard to visualize without being there.

I would use and spray (undercoating) sparingly. Do not cover drains or seams designed to carry water.

Did the noise begin with just the turn-outs? Properly hung/insulators (the exhaust)?

Did you read the entire DYNAMAT auto site? Some new stuff added.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #12
miker98038

The guys that use the peel and seal haven’t complained about odor. Some who’ve used to on the roof above the headliner have had it sag, others are ok, so that’s probably prep related. I used an industrial adhesive rubber/foil product because I’ve got a friend in the business. The other product widely used is “lizard skin”. It’s a paint style product with glass beads or something. Google will bring it up, and well as stuff you can mix in regular paint and apply.

Are you trying to block sound from outside the car, or do you think you’re trying to dampen resonance in the panels themselves?

Last edited by miker98038; 05-03-2018 at 08:57 PM.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:31 AM   #13
Jwawhite

Hi Mike, I've read about the muffler drone but never experienced it until I changed up the exhaust from out the rear bumper to the sides behind rear wheel. See photo above. So I'm trying to deaden the sound coming in through the rear quarters of the wagon. Currently I'm thinking of combining techniques to cover up the drone. Perhaps padding on the inside of interior panel, spray deadener on inside skin of quarter and a couple of Dynamat squares also on the inside quarter near the exhausts.