Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
M2M

Question Would you run new 1980s tyres

I visited an old-boy here in the USA yesterday who had a HUGE collection of old parts, mainly Model A with rare stuff such as a new B block...anyway...he had a bunch of new old tyres for A and AA which I went up a ladder to have a look at. There was a set of 4 new 1980s (if I read tyre code correctly) Goodyear whitewall 5.00x19 bias ply. Not being exposed to sunlight might these tyres still be usable?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
holdover

Default Re: Would you run new 1980s tyres

I wouldn't for a driver.. even out of the sunlight those are pretty old. All those years of heat cycling might has some affect. A tire expert might be able to guide you..
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
Patrick L.

I'm still on 80s Sears tires. They won't wear out.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

I'm running late 80's Firestone w/walls from "down under".

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
kenparker

I have within he last month put a set of 1988 19" BF Goodrich whitewalls on my woodie project. They also are new and have been stored inside out of the sunlight. I pulled then offthe Tacoma Cream wheels and put hem on my newly painted orange wheels. The rubber was amazingly pliable and changing rims was no problem. There are no weather cracks in the tread or sidewalls. Of coarse I have turned the offending whitewalls to the inside. I am going to run these until I can afford the have 16" wheels powdercoated and then put 16" radials on the vehicle.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
GerryAllen

"offending whitewalls" I must remember that phrase and use it our next Model A club meeting. I will let you know how I make out
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
redmodelt

If they are soft and not aged cracked, sure why not! Bet the rubber compounds were different back then then now and many people didn't(don't) change tires till they were worn anyway.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
I visited an old-boy here in the USA yesterday who had a HUGE collection of old parts, mainly Model A with rare stuff such as a new B block...anyway...he had a bunch of new old tyres for A and AA which I went up a ladder to have a look at. There was a set of 4 new 1980s (if I read tyre code correctly) Goodyear whitewall 5.00x19 bias ply. Not being exposed to sunlight might these tyres still be usable?
How does the rubber of the tires feel? Soft enough to be indented by a fingernail? Or hard enough that a fingernail won't make a mark on it. If soft, they're probably still good.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #9
Jim Brierley

If these were radial tyres, I'd say no, pre-radial may be OK?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:04 AM   #10
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
If these were radial tyres, I'd say no, pre-radial may be OK?
1980's radials weren't any good in the 1980's! Remember the Firestone 500's?! They were replaced by the "improved" Firestone 721's ("Seven around Two around One"), which weren't any better!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:50 AM   #11
Alaska Mike

If it was 1980 I would run them. But, it is many years later. What is your car worth? What is your safety and the safety of others worth? Buy some new tires.
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:53 AM   #12
WHN

I would be concerned only because of the age.

How do you drive and use your car. If it’s a parade car, that is also driven to the local car show and not driven over 40 or on the highway. Than I might give them a shoot.

If you have ever experienced a blowout you might have a different view on this. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #13
katy

I don't think those tires would blowout. It's been my experience that old tires just wear out a lot faster. If they had been out in the weather and are rotten then that's a different story.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #14
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
I don't think those tires would blowout. It's been my experience that old tires just wear out a lot faster. If they had been out in the weather and are rotten then that's a different story.
I was also thinking that the tubes could also be from the 80’s or even earlier.

Unfortunately, I have had a first hand experience with the drivers side rear wheel blowing out after we put on the very old spare. Spare had very good tread left, but was dried out. Tube blow side of tire out. Two people in rumble seat not happy. Very loud explosion. Fortunately we were only going about 30 mph at the time.

You never know. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #15
1928Mik

I've got mid-80's BF Goodrich tires on mine. Of course the car was stored on jackstands in a heated environment for 30 yrs and resurrected in 2016. They look great, still soft, no cracking, ride well. I'm only driving 125-150 miles a year on local roads at low speeds. I'll replace them eventually when I retire and drive it more.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #16
rotorwrench

Most rubber materials whether latex pure rubber or synthetic rubber are all susceptible to ozone degradation and the usual degradation from UV light. Rubber will last a long time under certain conditions but it will not last forever. A lot of tire shops won't mount a tire that is over 5-years old. They could get a lawsuit against them if anything happens with the tire after they install it.

Stuff like this is always at the risk of the person who makes the decision to use it. It may last a while and it may not. It would be fine on a display car or one that is only driven in slow parades. If a person decides to use older tires, they need to inspect them at a regular interval for condition.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #17
rocket1

I'm running late 70's Garfields(remember them?) never had a problem.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #18
Keith True

Sears(Garfields) are kind of an exception.An old A guy told me years ago,if there is ever a nuclear disaster the only thing that will be left will be cockroaches and Garfield tires.I have a set on a Tudor that were put on in the late 60's.When I bought the car about 18 years ago I figured I would run them out and replace them.Now I'm thinking about selling my A's,they still look like the day I bought the car.I had lots of blowouts on A's years ago,the scariest part is always the noise.The A's don't seem to go into a tizzy from a blowout like modern cars.Big noise,some shaking,just pull to the side of the road.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #19
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Sears(Garfields) are kind of an exception.An old A guy told me years ago,if there is ever a nuclear disaster the only thing that will be left will be cockroaches and Garfield tires.I have a set on a Tudor that were put on in the late 60's.When I bought the car about 18 years ago I figured I would run them out and replace them.Now I'm thinking about selling my A's,they still look like the day I bought the car.I had lots of blowouts on A's years ago,the scariest part is always the noise.The A's don't seem to go into a tizzy from a blowout like modern cars.Big noise,some shaking,just pull to the side of the road.
A few years ago when a good tube was impossible to buy, I was on a long tour (9,000 miles) and a tyre (tube) blew when I was on a bridge so there was no pulling over. I was doing 50 mph with a trailer behind. The front left (passenger) tyre went flat in an instant. The steering was "mushy" but there was no trouble controlling the car till I was able to pull over.
BTW, I put a NEW tube in and continued till it also tore open less than a kilometer down the road. It tore right around the wall all the way round excpet about 3-400 mm. After that, it didn't hold air!!
Old 03-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #20
Alaska Mike

I like those comments, "I only go slow", I only drive local roads", "never had a problem". I always ask myself, "How fast do I want to be going when I go in the ditch?" The price of tires, is way less than that trip to the hospital, or trying to repair my car, just cause I was cheap."
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote