Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
Synchro909

Default Now, THAT"S a car I'd like to see!

I have just had a visitor from Sweden brought to my house by a friend. He wanted to see my Delage but as soon as he set foot in my garage, he recognised the corner of a Model A (my 1930 CCPU) sticking out from under its cover. He has an A too and that's where it got interersting. His is the ONLY original RHD A400 made in England. Apart from being RHD from new, Ford England painted over the fake woodgrain. Little else is different. Evidently, the body came from the US, converted to RHD and fitted to a chassis to test the market. It was obviously not very popular because they didn't do any more and this one now resides in Sweden.
I guess that over the Model A years and especially with more than half the production time of Model A production being depression, many things were done in an attempt to get a sale. The story here says that in 1930 Ford sent a shipment of Model As to Australia without having received an order. They wre desparate to keep up production numbers. The dealers revolted and warned Detroit not to do that again. They didn't so no cars came here in 1931, in fact, it was possible to buy a brand new 1930 Model A in 1933. In an affort to create some sales, Ford Australia rebodied 3 sedans with fabric covered bodies. Eventually they sold and I believe one survivies. Another car I'd like to see!
Only a few months ago, I looked at a Model A woody that was used during the contruction of the Hoover dam. It was alongside other Model As with a unique story, all awaiting attention.
What other rare Model As are out there.

Update! It seems there has been some confusion about the location of this A400. Not Sweden, Norway.

Last edited by Synchro909; 09-15-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #2
Pmsqrd

Default Re: Now, THAT"S a car I'd like to see!

I believe the Hoover Dam woodies came with AA four row radiators and stainless AA shells.
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
dubnutty

I'd like to hear more about these Hoover Dam Woodies! Here's a photo of my car in it's present state.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnutty View Post
I'd like to hear more about these Hoover Dam Woodies! Here's a photo of my car in it's present state.
PM sent.