Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Russ/40

Default V8 clutch and pressure plate

Could you clarify for me which pressure plate can be used with the Clings V8 transmission to Model A kit? I am cutting the model A flywheel down so I can use the V8 car pressure plate with the kit. My confusion comes in regarding which version of the pressure plate i can use. The car version has the three fly weights which make clutch depressing easier. There is a tractor version also sold that looks like the car version but does not have the fly weights.

What has made me concerned, is Mac's catalog shows a lightened Model A flywheel with the tractor version pressure plate and is labeled "For use with Model A transmission only."

This raises the question: will the V8 version of the Long style clutch pressure plate, the one with the weights, - will the flyweights clear the Clings bell housing? I am using the 9inch pressure plate.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Jerry in Shasta

Default Re: V8 clutch and pressure plate

I have both style of pressure plates. You can not tell the difference. The weights add to the clamping pressure at higher speeds due to the added centrifugal force.

The style with the weights are getting hard to come by
Old 02-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Could you clarify for me which pressure plate can be used with the Clings V8 transmission to Model A kit? I am cutting the model A flywheel down so I can use the V8 car pressure plate with the kit. My confusion comes in regarding which version of the pressure plate i can use. The car version has the three fly weights which make clutch depressing easier. There is a tractor version also sold that looks like the car version but does not have the fly weights.

What has made me concerned, is Mac's catalog shows a lightened Model A flywheel with the tractor version pressure plate and is labeled "For use with Model A transmission only."

This raises the question: will the V8 version of the Long style clutch pressure plate, the one with the weights, - will the flyweights clear the Clings bell housing? I am using the 9inch pressure plate.
Hey Russ,
Yes, several versions will 'fit', but the long style with flywhts is the good one to use. The flywhts improve 'clamping' force with rpms. Higher rpms, more clamping force. Also, less slipping of disc. Use the 9" and after having flywhl cut down to whatever size you want, have the pressure plate bolt pattern drilled/tapped for the 9"
One more thing, when choosing/selecting clutch disc get the one that has partially covered/enclosed springs in the disc.
Regarding pressure plate, you can also opt for diaphragm style, which has advantages.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
PC/SR

Regardng the pressue plate, the so called tractor style had the arm pivot pins secured by E clips, one eventually came off and I was stranded. The Long clutch has the pivot pins positively secured by cotter pins, which will not come out. Check it out before you buy, and do not rely on catalog pictures. Call the vendor.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
Russ/40

Thanks for the responses. I learned something new. I did not realize the flyweights were to increase the clamping force. Thanks guys, I have the correct one.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
James Rogers

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Actually if you haven't drilled the flywheel for the pressure plate, you can use whatever would be your preference. The only limitation would be to have to use a clutch disk that fits the splines on your preferred transmission and limit it to about 9.5" diameter.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
Russ/40

Wink Re: V8 clutch and pressure plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Actually if you haven't drilled the flywheel for the pressure plate, you can use whatever would be your preference. The only limitation would be to have to use a clutch disk that fits the splines on your preferred transmission and limit it to about 9.5" diameter.
Thanks Jim, you gave me a key bit of info, that being the limit on clutch size. I have several 10" setups, but opted to go with a 9, got lucky. Clings does not give any counsel regarding clutch choices, as they dont get into flywheel lightening controversies like some people. I enjoyed your flywheel lightening post.

Last edited by Russ/40; 02-26-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
Kurt in NJ

here is picture from trans/clutch recon book -----thought it was the other post about finger heigth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.JPG (138.2 KB, 31 views)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote