Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2022, 11:03 AM   #1
zuburg

Default Maximum acceptable temperature for 292 Y-block

I have a 1956 Thunderbird. What is the maximum safe operating temperature?
zuburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:12 PM   #2
GLAmes

Default Re: Maximum acceptable temperature for 292 Y-block

Too many variables. I used to think 190 was hot but my new pickup operates at 205.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #3
Dobie Gillis

If it's not boiling you're good to go.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:03 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: Maximum acceptable temperature for 292 Y-block

IMO ONLY

Here is a basic TUTORIAL FORD BIRD COOLING SYSTEM OVERHEATING -

https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/1955...d-overheating/

It is all basic knowledge/practice and there are more factors than given above.

The only thing I disagree with in the TECH PAPER is the use of a pusher electric fan. The assembly blocks what little outside air that is able to be drawn into the radiator.

This with WP PULLEY SIZE and WP VOLUTE poor design.

The complete system (IMO) must be upgraded to modern standards along with the ability to not make the changes noticeable when the hood is opened.

If one hangs aftermarket air, most of the obvious visible giveaways are mute as it is not a dedicated restoration or survivor.

As for true coolant temperature(s), a QUALITY MECHANICAL TEMP GAUGE needs to be mounted and watched to see what actually is happening while driving. This is a test gauge only and can be taped to the WS while the car is operated under different conditions and recording the readings (true oil pressure readings are derived with the same method).

EDIT - INSERT

- DETERMINING TRUE COOLANT TEMPERATURE -

AUTO METER - https://www.autometer.com/blog/faq-p...ge-reads-high/

There has to be a service somewhere that can properly curve a LOAD-O-MATIC DIST. If you are set on keeping it, it has to operate correctly.

- CRACKED EXHAUST MANIFOLD -

https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/crac...aust-manifold/

- IMPROVED FLOW WATER PUMP SPACER -

This video should explain to all the need for this spacer along with a smaller OD WP PULLEY. The author states there is no water flow below 750 RPM and most engines idle @ approx. 650 RPM. This spacer, along with a re-designed WP impeller and modifications to the timing cover should overcome (IMO) any overheating conditions assuming the complete system is in good operating condition.

https://vimeo.com/263049673

FURTHER RANTING -

Another consideration is WP speed. The 1955 and early 1956 BIRD used a 6.94” O.D. PULLEY with a 17” DIA 4-BLADE FAN (forget the original 3-BLADE FAN unless you want CONCOURS CORRECT).

It seems engineering went to a larger 18” FAN mid-1956/57. The WP PULLEY DIA was also increased to 7.44' O.D. (apparently they were thinking of possible over-cooling) .

It seems to me that the early WP PULLEY (6.94" O.D.) coupled with the later 18” FAN (1955 radiator shroud different from 56-57) in addition to a redesigned WP SPACER (PARAGON A-432) and engine front cover (WP volute clean up) coupled with a sound cooling system (full flow radiator and full-flow thermostat) should give the desired performance.

This would also alleviate (IMO) the different length fan spacers needed (blade pitch) and possible offset belt drive using other than original BIRD designed parts/systems.

The WP PULLEY (6.94" O.D. - B5S 8509-B) is available repro (but
expensive).

6-INCH WP PULLEY - CASCO 8509S (5.94in O.D.)

HOSE – WP BYPASS (8597) – Cut From Bulk Hose FDA 18472-A (9/16") – MPC

JUST SAY NO TO WORM CLAMPS!

SUMMATION -

RIVETED BLADE FLEX FANS (incl OEM) are dangerous. Fan clutch drives can fail (bearing and/or seal) and put a burden on the WP bearing.

One has to bite the bullet and stop searching for stop-gap repair methods. FORD screwed-up and it is up to the present owner to overcome those short comings.

ANOTHER KULTULZ EDIT -

- CASCO NEWSLETTER - #17 NOV 2009 -

Quote:
Here’s a tip that may help you keep your cooling system in top shape. Spray the fan side of the radiator with a water-soluble cleaner such as Simple green or Gunk Engine De-greaser, let it soak in, and then flush with a fine spray from your garden hose. Be sure not to use too much water pressure as you might close the radiator fins.

A radiator with clean fins will cool more efficiently.
SOURCE - https://www.classictbird.com/pdf/Thu...htening-17.pdf

AND YET ANOTHER -

Quote:
If any cold spots are found in the core, it indicates blocked tubing at that point. Maybe it is safest to have the radiator flow tested and then rodded if necessary.

Look through the upper tank radiator cap opening at the size of the tubing and you will realize it doesn't take much to cause blockage.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg COOLANT TEMP GAUGE - BIRD.jpg (42.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg RADIATOR CORE - CLOGGED.jpg (57.6 KB, 82 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 09-05-2022 at 06:44 PM. Reason: THE USUAL CONTINUING SAGA
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:40 PM   #5
fordor41

My '60 292 runs at mid gauge with a 180 thermo, all the time regardless of ambient temp.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:26 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Just because the bypass hose leaked does not mean it's overheating - it just mean you have a leak at pressure.
It will or will be a cause of overheating.

If it is actually leaking, you are losing coolant volume. If not caught and repaired (hopefully before catastrophic failure), as the system cools and the coolant contracts, it will draw outside air into the system, leading to aeration of the coolant and possible steam pockets.

The BY-PASS HOSE is 9/16" I.D. and worm clamps cut into and damages the hose itself, especially if one cranks down on it trying to seal 5/8" hose to a 9/16" tube..

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 08-04-2022 at 09:46 AM. Reason: THE USUAL
Old 08-04-2022, 11:37 AM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
The BY-PASS HOSE is 9/16" I.D. and worm clamps cut into and damages the hose itself, especially if one cranks down on it trying to seal 5/8" hose to a 9/16" tube..
Bypass tube on a T-Bird thermostat housing is 5/8 inch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220804 bypass tube c.jpg (29.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-04-2022 at 11:45 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:56 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Maximum acceptable temperature for 292 Y-block

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

Bypass tube on a T-Bird thermostat housing is 5/8 inch.
FOMOCO says 9/16".

Now whom am I going to believe? If 5/8" is used you have to over torque the clamps leading to material failure/leakage.

This is one reason there are so many problems, incorrect info and usage.

(Center your tape or use a machinist metal rule.)

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 08-04-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:05 PM   #9
dmsfrr

I've got 5 or 6 of these housings including 1 new reproduction. The used originals are presumably from all three years, they have slight differences... but the bypass tubes are all the same outside diameter.
If a 9/16 hose would fit, it would be tight. I've never tried.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:19 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Quote:
If a 9/16 hose would fit, I've never tried.
Does a 5/8" seem loose when putting on?

This thread has 3,000 hits. Everything you read regarding a BIRD describes overheating problems. No one (after all of these years) has put all of this together, just bits and pieces.

Amazing to me ...

Not yelling at you ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 08-04-2022, 03:32 PM   #11
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Does a 5/8" seem loose when putting on?
I don't have any new-ish 5/8 hose to give it a try.

But I do have loose parts to compare to each other. The two metal tubes for the short bypass hose are not smaller in diameter, they are the same size as the heater hose fittings.
Photo 1. Thermostat housing & heater core tubing.
Photo 2. Thermostat housing & angled water pump heater hose pipe.
Photo 3. Thermostat housing & bypass hose T shaped fitting

Overheating '55/'57 T-Birds... my two cents worth, in a rough order of importance....
Photo 4. Due to previously mentioned poor coolant flow the block gets clogged with rust debris very easily.
It can be difficult to remove completely without hot-tanking the block and some manual labor.

Clogged radiator. See photo in previous post #4 above.

A poorly designed water pump spacer. The Ames A-432 spacer is a vast improvement.
At this link... https://thunderbird.us/

Timing advance shortcomings. Failed vacuum canisters on the '55 and '56 distributors and points breaker plates that get stuck, '55 thru '57.

A heat riser valve stuck closed. It will overheat the intake manifold and carburetor... and choke off the exhaust flow from the right/passenger side of the engine.

Poor airflow under the hood. There are 4 splash shields that can be removed for some improvement if the car isn't driven in wet conditions.

And the whole list of things at the first link in post #4 above.

An inaccurate Temperature gauge. After all these years it is very common for the old dash gauge to display incorrectly. A hand-held laser Temp gauge will be helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuburg View Post
I have a 1956 Thunderbird. What is the maximum safe operating temperature?
Does anyone want to try answering this?
Just to start the conversation I'll go with a circulating coolant temperature of 212.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220804 heater core.jpg (26.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20220804 water pump small hose ftg.jpg (48.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20220804 thermostat bypass tube & T fitting.jpg (54.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg water jacket rust, before and after.jpg (34.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-04-2022 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 06:48 PM   #12
Dobie Gillis

I'll go with 233F., the boiling temperature of pure water with a 7 pound rad cap. A mix of coolant with the water will add several degrees to that depending on the mix ratio. A 15 pound cap would increase the water boiling point to 245.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:43 PM   #13
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Maximum acceptable temperature for 292 Y-block

Quote:
What Is The Average Normal Coolant Temp?

For most modern vehicles. Celsius’s average operating engine temperature is somewhere between seventy-five (75) to one hundred five (105) degrees Celsius. If it reaches eighty (80) to ninety (90) degrees, the thermostat will allow the cooling fluid to flow through the other cooling circuit.

If the temperature continues to rise, the radiator fan will then cool the engine. The cooling system of an engine is a complicated component, and if there are malfunctions, this can lead to overheating. In terms of Fahrenheit, the average operating engine temperature is somewhere between the range of one hundred ninety-five (195) to two hundred twenty (220) degrees Fahrenheit.

However, most of the dashboard temperature gauges do not show an accurate temperature. There are just markings for the cold and then the hot on the edges of the gauge.

The normal range will be in the middle. Most of the cars have a temperature needle near the center of the engine at an average operating temperature, and it will take at least a minute or two for the engine to get cold.

What Temp Is Too High For Coolant?

In Celsius, most modern vehicles have an average operating temperature somewhere between the range of seventy-five (75) to one hundred five (105) degrees Celsius. If the temperature rises beyond the temperature, the radiator fan (electric) will start to cool the engine.

In Fahrenheit, if the engine’s temperature exceeds two hundred thirty (230) degrees Fahrenheit, the engine will overheat. So above the two hundred forty-five degrees Fahrenheit, then there will be damages to occur.
SOURCE - https://piketransit.com/average-coolant-temp/

Without a certified MECHANICAL WATER TEMP TEST GAUGE, it is all a guessing game.

Also, think of it this way. It is like your home water heater. The higher the set temp, more of suspended particulates will fall out of suspension in the water and settle at the bottom and begin to eat the tank lining. Same as the sediments you see in the cooling jackets.

DO NOT use tap water to either flush or fill. At the very minimum, distilled. One reason pre-mix coolant is used on modern cars.

A modern engine (FYB) needs to see a minimum of a 180 degrees (thermostat) to have oil detergents/dispersants work properly and to eliminate any moisture in the crankcase.

Low operating temp also cause a rich condition in fuel delivery and that thins the oil.

It's as simple as that.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 08-05-2022, 08:49 PM   #14
KULTULZ

Here's another little known factoid. Originally, these by-pass hoses (8597) were sold separate, the FORD/MERC having one length, BIRD another. They were of a thicker reinforced hose.

At some point, the bean counters dropped the assembly hoses and called for cutting from bulk heater hose roll or service replacement.

Can you slide a 9/16in open end (or 5/8in) over the housing nipple and/or the connector on the WP? If you ever have the hoses off the heater core, the same measurement?

This will solve the problem hopefully.

- DISCLAIMER -