Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
lotsagas4u

Default 6 volt, positive ground boost help?

Guys, please school me on boosting a engine with 12 volts, have new heavy cables, positive side of battery to ground strap, have another, heavy cable from trans case to frame. Newly overhaul engine, new 6 volt battery. Thanks
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: 6 volt, positive ground boost help?

Positive to positive. Negative to negative, don't let the car bumpers touch.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
rotorwrench

I would question, why boost with 12-volts? Is the battery not up to snuff?

You don't want to damage a vehicles electrical system so it should be isolated from the starting system. The starter can take 12-volts but other things, not so much.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
kirkf

If I understand you correctly, you want to boost a vehicle with a 6 volt positive system, with 12 volts to get it to start. I assume this is so you can take advantage of the faster starter speeds.

Here is how I would do this:

1. Disconnect the lead from the starter to the starter solenoid at the starter solenoid.
2. Connect the 12V vehicle Positive to the 6V vehicle Positive
3. Temporarily clamp the negative booster cable to the starter cable to rotate the engine. Unclamp it once the motor starts.

-You don't want to allow 12 volt power to reach the rest of your vehicle, because not all components are rated for 12 volts. (Instrument cluster is an example)

-Don't run the starter for too long like this.

-Remember you need to unclamp the negative booster cable as soon as the motor starts.
(The terrible noise you hear will be a hint)

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. lotsagas, here's some reading for you. More than you wanted probably.

Jump Starting? https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...3179&showall=1

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #6
kirkf

Yikes that's quite the thread.
But it did remind me of one thing I didn't mention above.

For my 12V boost method to work, your 6V battery needs to have enough charge to be able to fire the coil. If its totally dead it won't work.

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
Barry-ct

Make sure all cables are clean, also where you mount them should be clean and free of paint. Have your battery tested for charge and amps.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
RalphG

I did it with a six volt system . I used booster cables from the solenoid to the 12 volt battery. That way it was isolated and still only six volts to the rest of the electrical system. It worked well. I made the final contact at the 12 volt battery on the floor. A little sparky but it sure made the starter spin and a quick start for the Merc. You can see how it worked in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO25Y2zgShE
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #9
Old Henry

I've jumped my 6 volt positive ground system from a 12 volt battery connected the same as you would two 12 volt batteries many times without any damage to anything. But it takes two people, one to clamp the jumper cables on the instant the other hits the starter and unclamp them as soon as the engine starts. Otherwise, the battery cables (and probably other things) heat up pretty fast. Gotta have extra heavy jumper cables too. The usual 12 volt flimsy cables might not work as well.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #10
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I've jumped my 6 volt positive ground system from a 12 volt battery connected the same as you would two 12 volt batteries many times without any damage to anything. But it takes two people, one to clamp the jumper cables on the instant the other hits the starter and unclamp them as soon as the engine starts. Otherwise, the battery cables (and probably other things) heat up pretty fast. Gotta have extra heavy jumper cables too. The usual 12 volt flimsy cables might not work as well.
I've heard of people successfully boosting six volt batteries straight off a twelve without incident. But I've also heard stories of exploding batteries resulting from this practice. I won't be trying it.
Here is a quote from a tractor forum: "NEVER EVER hook a 12 volt battery to a 6 volt battery, if you do it could well be the last thing you ever see. Yes they blow up and most of the time when they do the person gets it right in the eyes. If you are going to jump start one you hook one jump lead to the frame of the tractor and the other one to the post on the starter. That way the 6 volt battery never has 12 volts on it but the starter does. This will not work if the 6 volt battery is flat dead so the 6 volt battery has to have enough in it to make spark or the tractor has to have a mag ".
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
Paul Bennett

Spend $112 and totally avoid any disasters. Buy a new 6v red top Optima from Amazon and install it temporarily into the car. (they are packed correctly now for safe shipment - change mandated by Optima)

FYI - When I jump 12v to 12v cars I disconnect one battery cable from the GOOD car before applying jumper cables.

I've seen too many alternators ruined by halfway hopes. Unfortunately you won't even know it's ruined (1 blown diode) for several months. My $0.02 worth much more.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #12
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

A bit like Ralph ,what I do is get a heavy duty jump cable on any terminal on a 12 volt battery ,it can be pose or neg run that to the starter motor hot side ,/cable or terminal bolt, run the other cable from the 12 volt other terminal to any ground such as a exhaust bolt. You will get a few sparks .Also you could set up a remote starter switch such as a( Model T or 34? 35 or even a solenoid type,) off the starter terminal with a short cable .you then run a ground to the head bolt to your 12 volt battery and one to the the new solenoid press the button and bingo /Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:10 AM   #13
zeffer1940

The Ford Service lit at the time, I believe a Service Bulletin, addressed this when these cars were new, and the procedure was 12 vlt to solonoid to send power to starter only as was started..Very Good Tip!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car pic 020.jpg (64.8 KB, 60 views)
zeffer1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
38coop

Sounds like you need eye and hand protection in case of exploding battery.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #15
zeffer1940

No, exploding battery because the power is applied to the starter side of the solenoid, isolated from the pos six--that's the point. Yes, thoughtful action is always prudent working on cars, failing lead acid batteries emit explosive gases at any voltage..if you smell strong sulphur, proceed with xtra caution..
zeffer1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #16
big job

I have been jumping these for 50 yrs no with no problems. Every thing we own, the
positive post is painted red with a paint pen so my electrical 'challenged' help don't
get blown up (they don't know what pos grd. is. ) Blow ups happen at the battery,
there are vapors there, not good, you clamp the 12vt red lead to a head bolt which is positive. Getting it running with 12vts after a long sleep. We do this all the time. At
the solonoid + side remove the feed wire, we call it the house wire. Next disconnect
the Batt. wire on the regulator, now the body & generator is dead, gauges everthing
else is dead. With a 12vt batt installed, jump the coil and jump the solonoid >make sure you know if the start terminal on solenoid is the ground type or the plus type if
you have solonoid with button on the bottom ya got it made..I only say this cause we
have a dedicated beat to death F6 dump to clean horse poop, thing won't start without 12vts at all, most likely needs a starter & ain't got time, so we jump it. Been
running all year this way even with a 6Vt coil. Now if you are dealing with 24vts you better know what ya doing............
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #17
G.M.

The best bet is to carry a 12 volt battery jumper pack. The one I use
has a shut off switch. This allows you to put the cable clamps on with
red POS to red ground on the 6 volt battery and the Black NEG to the
heavy cable at or going to the starter. With someone inside to turn
the ignition switch on and work the gas have them turn the switch on
but do NOT push the starter button. Now when ready you can turn the
switch on the battery pack PUTTING 12 VOLTS TO THE STARTER ONLY.
This way 12 volts is not introduced into the 6 volt system. You can even
do this yourself by working the carb by hand. G.M.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #18
TomT/Williamsburg

Happy Thanksgiving one and all .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:03 PM   #19
billybronco1

So, lots of talk about jumping the 6v positive ground with a 12 volt, I get it. But what if you want to jump a 6v positive ground with a 6v battery? Can you just hook positive to positive and negative to negative, or do I need to disconnect the original battery? Reason I ask is when my car gets hot it does not want to start right up like when its cold. I have a red top Optima that is about six years old and I think its getting tired. I just as soon keep a fully charged six volt battery in the trunk rather then be dealing with 12v jumps.
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #20
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
So, lots of talk about jumping the 6v positive ground with a 12 volt, I get it. But what if you want to jump a 6v positive ground with a 6v battery? Can you just hook positive to positive and negative to negative, or do I need to disconnect the original battery? Reason I ask is when my car gets hot it does not want to start right up like when its cold. I have a red top Optima that is about six years old and I think its getting tired. I just as soon keep a fully charged six volt battery in the trunk rather then be dealing with 12v jumps.
Positive to positive and negative to negative directly to the battery that is still connected.
(the same thing I would have said 4 years ago when this thread was new )
Old 11-23-2020, 01:10 AM   #21
Tinker

If your battery is discharging and you need a "boost" something is wrong with the charging system or the battery.

If you want a coil 6v "boost" on startup.

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/3...RoCWhQQAvD_BwE
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #22
billybronco1

Okay here is an update and my situation on the charging system. I typically only take short rides around town 10-15 miles. I have not been putting the battery tender on after every trip. As this car is new to me I'm trying to figure out it quirks. I starts instantly when cold but a little harder when hot. The other day I was afraid it would not start as the battery sounded real low when hot. Yes, I drive with fog light on for my day time running lights. The amp gauge always shows neg when anything is on even at a higher rpm. So I put my battery tender on and because its only 1.25 amps it took two days for it to completely charge again - something aint right.

So today I played with the generator third brush adjustment. It really didn't seem to make any change, I moved it about 1/4" each way. With nothing on it starts at 6.5 volts and goes as high as 8.5 volts at say 1000 rpm. Once I put the lights on it will not go above 6.15 volts no matter how high the rpm.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Have all the connections been checked? They need to be clean, bright metal and I would put a little grease on each one. Grounds can always be an issue, so double check all of them.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #24
billybronco1

As far as I can tell everything is clean and tight. Why would I get a good charge until there is a draw on the generator? Once there is a draw it goes negative from 8.5 v to 6.2 v
Old 11-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #25
rotorwrench

The voltage regulator doesn't just regulate voltage on the 2-brush B-circuit type generators. It has the cut out pole to bring the generator on line, it has the voltage regulator pole, and it has a current limiter pole to keep it from over amping. If there are no problems with the load devices such as bad heater motors or shorts to ground causing circuit breakers to pop then it is likely a problem with the generator control unit (voltage regulator).

Don't be afraid to start a new thread. Bringing up the old ones can get confusing.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #26
billybronco1

Where is the voltage regulator? Is that really the "Generator Cut Out" on a 1936, round device that sits on top of the generator. Anyway to test it?
Old 11-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #27
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
Okay here is an update and my situation on the charging system. I typically only take short rides around town 10-15 miles. I have not been putting the battery tender on after every trip. As this car is new to me I'm trying to figure out it quirks. I starts instantly when cold but a little harder when hot. The other day I was afraid it would not start as the battery sounded real low when hot. Yes, I drive with fog light on for my day time running lights. The amp gauge always shows neg when anything is on even at a higher rpm. So I put my battery tender on and because its only 1.25 amps it took two days for it to completely charge again - something aint right.

So today I played with the generator third brush adjustment. It really didn't seem to make any change, I moved it about 1/4" each way. With nothing on it starts at 6.5 volts and goes as high as 8.5 volts at say 1000 rpm. Once I put the lights on it will not go above 6.15 volts no matter how high the rpm.
I had the same issue, in my 53' Merc when I turned the fog/running light on, so I chnaged the bulbs to LED's (minimal draw). Just a thought.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #28
Lawson Cox

I don't see that anyone has mentioned it yet (If they have I missed it) but get rid of that woven ground strap and replace it with a good 00 cable. I had a buddy make me a set of cables out of welding cable and have not had a problem yet. Big cables and good clean connections are a must with 6V.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:49 PM   #29
billybronco1

Someone said I should start a new post on this so it doesn't get lost in the other subject, good idea, thanks