Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
howie123

Default Driveline question

I recently got my 28 Model A speedster on the road and made several successful short trips over the summer. All seems well with the driveline. I am able to start out in first or reverse with no clutch chatter if I don't rush it. If I get in a hurry there is a little chatter initially but I would call it minimal. Upshifting is no problem. I relearned the double clutching technique quite readily. I have even gotten the hang of downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. When I put the car on jackstands for the winter I noticed that I could turn the rear wheels quite freely with the transmission in gear and the clutch engaged. If I hand crank the engine with the transmission in gear and the clutch engaged the rear wheels turn. There is 1 inch of free play in the clutch pedal. I am not a mechanic but it seems that the clutch must be slipping. Is my thinking correct? Is some slippage normal? If the car drives well is it anything to worry about? Any thoughts on the subject would be helpful. Thanks. Howie
howie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Driveline question

Nothing wrong. You can turn the rear wheels easily because of the differential gears allowing the opposite wheel to turn in the opposite direction that you are turning one wheel. Block one wheel to stop it and you won't be able to turn the other rear wheel while in gear and with the clutch engaged.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Driveline question

yea what tom said your in good shape. your just spinning the differential not the driveshaft or trans when the clutch is engaged
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote