Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
Al Bass

Default Zenith rebuild

I'm rebuilding my Zenith 1, and was wondering what is the correct way to seat the brass passage plugs.
Al Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Zenith rebuild

It's been about 18 years since I did mine, but as I recall I just used a flat tip punch and tapped the brass plug in flush with the casting.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
Tom Endy

If you have not removed the old brass plugs, it is best not to. You can clean the passageways out without drilling out the plugs by using a common paper clip. Go to www.ocmafc.org. On the menu at left click on "tech articles", it will bring up a new menu with my name at the top, click on it. Scroll down to the article about Zenith restoration. It will walk you through the passage clean out process.

If you have already drilled out the plugs and were successful in not damaging the housing, the new plugs are supposed to be tapped into place and peened with a hammer. The new plugs should be a precise diameter. However, you are dealing with reproduction hardware and if they are too big in diameter you can easily crack the housing. If they are too small they can fall out.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
Al Bass

Thanks. I havn't removed them yet .when I bought the carb it was full of crud and wanted to make sure it was totally clean before I installed the new parts. I will try and clean without removing the plugs. the venturi was broke in half and had to use a venturi puller I ordered with the rebuild kit (that tool was a life saver)thanks for the link
Al Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
RonC

glass bead the passages if you can.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Ron in Quincy

I agree with Tom Eddy,

I have cleaned up carburetor housings using glass bead for years. I always check passage ways before installing jets to be sure they are open; I use some of the phony idle jets, cut off the tip, flatter end of tube, making it a plug, screw into jet openings and pass air thru the passage ways. If I find a restriction I re-glass bead blast that passage way.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Dennis L Oberer

Well I have only been rebuilding and/or repairing Zeniths since 1965...

But the only way you can be SURE you clean out the passages is by removing the brass plugs and using a small bore brush to clean out the crud, dried fuel, dried varnish, lead deposits, etc.....

There are small diameter ones and big diameter ones. And those that I got from Snyders went in without a problem.

You just pein them over a little with a small hammer and you will be set. Just dont drill out any of the casting and you should be alright.

Use loctite if you want a belt and suspenders approach when putting them back in.

Drill them out carefully and use an easy out...

I dont know if a slightly oversize brass plug will crack a casting...I would think it would form fit as it is a lot softer than the cast iron hole.

IMHO

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI
Dennis L Oberer is offline   Reply With Quote