Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #21
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Poor Headlights

What type of relay? If you are looking for the small square plastic relays (similar to what is in almost all modern cars) you can get them at any local auto supply. You want a universal relay with the mounting ear and enough amp capacity to handle the headlight current. You will need two, one for high beams and one for low beams. There are four connectors (looks like 5, but two of them are connected together). Run a heavy gauge wire from the battery to the relay and then on to ether the high or low beam on your lights depending on the relay. The other two post connect to a switching source and ground. You can use your current high/low switch as the switching source. When you switch on the low beams at the switch a connection is made through the relay to ground. This energies the relay which connects the direct wire from the battery to the low beam portion of the headlights. When you change the switch to high beams, the low beam relay is deactivated and the high beam relay is activated connecting the battery to the high beam partition of the headlights. If a wiring diagram would help PM me and I will provide one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AutoRelay.jpg (26.9 KB, 5 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #22
Yoyodyne

Are those available in 6volt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
What type of relay? If you are looking for the small square plastic relays (similar to what is in almost all modern cars) you can get them at any local auto supply. You want a universal relay with the mounting ear and enough amp capacity to handle the headlight current. You will need two, one for high beams and one for low beams. There are four connectors (looks like 5, but two of them are connected together). Run a heavy gauge wire from the battery to the relay and then on to ether the high or low beam on your lights depending on the relay. The other two post connect to a switching source and ground. You can use your current high/low switch as the switching source. When you switch on the low beams at the switch a connection is made through the relay to ground. This energies the relay which connects the direct wire from the battery to the low beam portion of the headlights. When you change the switch to high beams, the low beam relay is deactivated and the high beam relay is activated connecting the battery to the high beam partition of the headlights. If a wiring diagram would help PM me and I will provide one.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
Are those available in 6volt?
Yes, but not sure of any local sources. They are on ebay and other online sources. If your car is wired with (+) ground, the stock configuration, you need to make sure that the relay does not have a diode in it. Some do, some don't. You could use one with a diode, but would have to match the polarity, which might be a little more difficult if you are not accustom to working with diodes. You need the type of relay that has either four or five connectors: (30/51) Power from Battery, (87) Power out to Headlights, (86) Trigger Signal, (85) Ground. On a five connector there is also (87a), this gets a little tricky and depends on the type of relay, for a SPST type it is the same as (87) and can be used as a second connector to the Headlights. On a SPDT it switcher opposite to (87) and is not used. I know this may sound confusing if you are not familiar with automotive electronics. I will post a wiring diagram for a 6V (+) ground setup and try to recommend a relay that will work by part number.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #24
JT FORD

Fifth Avenue Garage has a 6v. HD headlight relays, $27.00 each.
www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com
Randy Rundle, Owner. I wouldn't use a cheap relay for 6 volts, if it goes out your lights are gone! Fuse the hot lead with a 30 amp fuse....
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #25
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT FORD View Post
Fifth Avenue Garage has a 6v. HD headlight relays, $27.00 each.
www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com
Randy Rundle, Owner. I wouldn't use a cheap relay for 6 volts, if it goes out your lights are gone! Fuse the hot lead with a 30 amp fuse....
I am not finding any 6V relays in a much lower price range. The Fifth Avenue is the VW relay I believe. Should be able to get them through a local parts house. They were used in the early 6 Volt VWs, Porsche, etc. There are also the plastic style relays (as are all modern auto relays) on amazon and ebay. On Amazon they are around $8 but you have a $6 shipping fee, found some on ebay at around $14 with free shipping. I have a couple of other places to check Monday, but looks like there is not a cheap source. I am using the 6V "Golf Cart" type setup in my car because I want to keep an old time look. It is #24097 and is $25.44 on Amazon. These are heavy duty U.S. made Solenoids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91064104_L_1847dab8.jpg (48.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1302648857-24097.jpg (12.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #26
19Fordy

Here's a source for 6V headlight relays.
http://www.arlingtonproducts.com/ser...ADLIGHT/Detail and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Volt-Heavy...85b94b&vxp=mtr

Here's a 6V relay for $ 4.76..
http://www.newark.com/durakool/dg85b...alog&source=CJ

Be sure to ask about wiring your relay thru the dimmer switch so that you only have to use 1 relay for both headlights..

Last edited by 19Fordy; 07-13-2014 at 11:55 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Here's a source for 6V headlight relays.
http://www.arlingtonproducts.com/ser...ADLIGHT/Detail
Yep, that's what I'm finding, but that is $26 for a plastic relay and socket. It will work fine if you want to pay that much.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #28
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Drew up a diagram for a 47 ford using the stand relay pin arrangement. First your need to run a wire (#10 or #12, the original was #12) from the battery side of the starter solenoid to near the drivers side headlight. Mount the two solenoids also near the drivers side headlight. Connect this Power wire to the two solenoids (#30/50), using a jumper wire from one solenoid to the other. The original wiring harness should have two Green wires with Black traces (High Beams) and two Red wires with Black traces (Low Beams) and a Black wire with Yellow traces (Parking lights). Cut the two Green/Black wire and connect one of the them (foot switch side) to the HB solenoid (#85) and tape up the other one. Now connect both of the other ends of the Green/Black wires to the HB solenoid (#87). Do the same thing with the Red/Black wire, cut it, hook one of the wires to the LB solenoid (#85) and tape the other wire. Connect the other ends of the Red/Black wire to the LB solenoid (#87). Now connect a ground from both solenoids (#86) to a good ground. The Black/Yellow wire is not touched. That should be it. If you noticed the wire from the foot switch to the solenoid on both are connected to the #85 pin and the ground to the #86 pin. #85 is normally labeled Ground and #86 is normally labeled Trigger, however because of the positive ground on these cars I would connect them as shown because of the possibility of your relay having a diode in it. The way #85 - #86 are connected does not matter except for the diode issue. If your existing wiring is in poor condition, just replace the wires with new ones, run two wire from the foot switch to the solenoids, one for HB and one for LB. Then run two wire form each of the solenoids to the headlights. (Wiring diagrams are from VanPelt).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47 ford headlight relay wiring.jpg (36.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wirediagram1946-48car.jpg (69.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1946-48car.jpg (94.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #29
moonshine runner

Thank you Jeery, and everyone who responded!

Kevin

Henry Ford.
moonshine runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #30
moonshine runner

Jerry,

Thank you VERY much for the diagram. I am a little confused though, on the location of the battery cable on the solenoid, so just asking a question.

Mine is on the lug to the left (if your standing in front of car, looking at firewall). You show yours on the right, with the 10 gauge wire.

Thanks,

Kevin

Henry Ford.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
moonshine runner

Guys,

Here's what I have done (temporarily) until I can find relays and it worked great last night to get me home from the car show.

I connected some 10g wire from the lug on the solenoid where the batter cable connects, put a 30 amp fuse inline, then a 30 amp toggle switch.

I then connected it to the high beam wires (green), and the lights worked great.

As mentioned, I am not planning to leave it like this, only until I get the relays. I remember a friend of mine telling me about VW's using 6V relays so I am going to check our local NAPA tomorrow.

Kevin

Henry Ford.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #32
Brooks

Moonshine, here is a wed site that might help you. WWW.madelectrical.com
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #33
Steves46

Here is a drawing of the 2 starter solenoids that I use as relays and they certainly made a difference. I used 10 gauge wire with a 20 amp inline fuse from the battery side of the startter soenoid to the relays. They are mounted on the driver's side inside fender close to the headlights. Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headlight%20relay%20drawing4.jpg (27.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #34
moonshine runner

Thank you Steve!! Brooks, Thank you as well!!

So Steve, I see that you used 2 starter solenoids. I guess I didn't think about going that route. Thanks!!

Kevin

Henry Ford.

Last edited by moonshine runner; 07-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #35
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves46 View Post
Here is a drawing of the 2 starter solenoids that I use as relays and they certainly made a difference. I used 10 gauge wire with a 20 amp inline fuse from the battery side of the startter soenoid to the relays. They are mounted on the driver's side inside fender close to the headlights. Steve
That's like what I was showing you to use. Only problem with the starter solenoid is they are for interment use only! Need to use the continuous use solenoids. (see #25 above).

Steve, like the looks of that setup, that is what I am doing to do on my 33.

Last edited by JSeery; 07-13-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #36
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine runner View Post
Jerry,

Thank you VERY much for the diagram. I am a little confused though, on the location of the battery cable on the solenoid, so just asking a question.

Mine is on the lug to the left (if your standing in front of car, looking at firewall). You show yours on the right, with the 10 gauge wire.

Thanks,

Kevin
I have no idea how a 47 is wired or if yours is wired correctly! LOL I was just doing by the wiring diagrams, but you are correct, it needs to go on the side of the solenoid that connects to the battery.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #37
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Moonshine, here is a wed site that might help you. WWW.madelectrical.com
Did a quick look over, a lot of good information, but didn't see anything about 6V (+) ground systems (I could have missed it). Just be sure you understand the difference!