Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #21
john charlton

Default Re: Do I need a new worm in the steering box?

I have changed several 2 tooth worms over the years without using a press (which I dont have) . I put the shaft in a good heavy vice and wrap a piece of light cardboard around it so the shaft is not marked .(I suppose it doesnt really matter if it is) I heat the worm with the handheld propane torch,it does not need to be smokin hot . I use a brass drift and the worm will punch off . Rotate the drift to avoid bending the shaft although I doubt you could bend it with a drift . At first it is reluctant to move but once the worm is on the move it will come off,you might have to reheat . To install the worm it will go on easier than taking off . I do heat the worm a bit . Be sure to put the worm on the right way round or it will not go fully home . There is a relief bored in one end that is the end that goes on first . I use a fairly hefty brass or copper headed hammer ( called the "copper bopper" ! ) Hit it squarely so not to damage the end race .Use eye protection

John in cool summer evening Suffolk County England ..
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #22
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
I'm planning on rebuilding the steering box on our '31. I see that Bratton's steering box rebuild kit doesn't include the worm. What's the likelihood that I will require a new worm? Or will the original still be in good enough shape to re-use it?
Tnx, Ken
I am in the same boat here on do I or do I not replace the worm on my two tooth sector fix and sector bearing fix.

Here is my thinking on this, The adjustments on the steering box are to adjust for changes (wear). With that said, my view is that the steering sector replacement on my car, by observation, is the problem. All the slop in steering, seems to be in the sector bearing allowing it to kind of move around a bit.

I will replace the sector and sector bearing plate with a new bearing and two tooth sector, slap it all back together and adjust it per the method that can be found on the web for my Gemmer box.

If that works, I am all done, if not, well then I will spend the bucks to do the worm too!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #23
Alaska Mike

I am really happy to hear that the "aluminum plate on the floor" method worked for someone else. I about lost it when the guy started pounding on that thing, but it worked! Glad it worked for someone else....
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #24
katy

Hi Alaska Mike, it was your posting back in February that prompted me to try that method, very simple and works slick. I did coat the shaft and the worm w/oil before the installation.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #25
SteveB31

It is much easier to heat the worm on a stove, and freeze the shaft. Install quick. I have done hundreds of them
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:07 AM   #26
Dodge

Bill,
Didn’t you need to replace the worm in the bottom of your tequila bottle once?
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Do it right the first time.

Replace both. Now you know it is as good as it can be.

My thoughts exactly !!! I replace them both . I don't risk bending the shaft . I order the shaft with the worm gear in place . It costs more but it is so much easier and turns out so much better .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote