Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #21
ryanheacox

Default Re: 6V versus 12V (stupid ques. I'm a newbie)

Agree with those that say keep it 6v at least for now. It's your car and you may find out you need 12v eventually for some reason.

My car is 6v with the stock generator still but I installed an EVR from Tom Wessenberg. Still with all incandescent bulbs and the wiper motor running the generator can just keep up. Probably pushing about 18A at that point.

If you do keep the generator I would highly recommend an EVR, it will keep the battery from over charging and you won't have to mess with the 3rd brush.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #22
Badpuppy

The least painful method is to keep it stock 6V, positive ground. But at least replace the cutout with a FunProjects regulator - it will save worrying over battery charge. Tom Wesenberg's EVR is the more elegant design, but requires minor hacking of the generator innards. The generator can handle all the stock bulbs, but 50 CP headlights are a strain on it, so you may consider an alternator if you plan much night driving. As said before, LED bulbs require a lot less current and don't cost much.

The only reason to convert to 12V is for compatibility with modern add-ons

The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #23
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
It is just my personal opinion but I don't think an alternator looks like it belongs under the hood of a Model A. Is it newer and better technology, yes, but I still don't like it.

Charlie Stephens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I agree with that,to me a delco alternator has chevrolet written all over it.The pure engineering of the model a in original form is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. But in this current environment of turn signals,LEDs USB phone charging and a host of other improvements an alternators stable voltage makes sense.
My 12v alternator looks (kinda) stock...

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #24
Purdy Swoft

The main reason that I run my 31 standard roadster on 12 volts is because I wanted too .
As others have said 12 volt bulbs, batteries and other components are readily available .
.Twelve volt components used on the model A generally require less amps .

Less amps creates less heat .

Generators and other components have an easier life and last longer on 12 volt .

Lights are brighter and the starter spins much faster .

I prefer to keep original appearance where ever possible on my model A's

The completely unmodified model A generator charges in amps and will charge a 12 volt battery with no problem .

I use the Fun Projects 12 volt positive ground voltage regulator .

I always replace old wiring when fixing up my model A's .

I use the original 6 volt color coded wiring harnesses from Brattons .

Six volt wiring is larger because of the higher amperage and heat produced by a 6 volt system .

The larger gauge wire used with 6 volt systems will operate even cooler when used with a 12 volt system .

Probably less risk of an electrical fire .

Original unmodified starters have worked good for me .

I prefer the modern starter drive whether running six or twelve volts .

A resistor can be used at the coil connection if you want to use the original type six volt 1.5 OHM coil .

I use a three OHM coil on 12 volts and NO ugly resistor will be needed .

Though the words FLAME THROWER scares some , I prefer to use the Pertronix 40.000 volt flame thrower coil for better performance that I can feel . This of course is only a matter of personal choice .

The Pertronix coil doesn't look any different than most other replacement coils .

This 12 volt upgrade retains original appearance with the generator .

The battery is hidden under the floor boards as original and remains positive ground

The main thing about this conversion is the 12 volt battery itself .

If original wiring is good , use it

This system operates with 10 amps maximum charge on demand

If a lot of high draw accessories will be used an alternator would be your best bet .

This type conversion uses less amps for longer componet life , You get brighter lights, faster starts and ease of locating bulbs and batteries .

This 12 volt upgrade can also be set up with negative ground . Fun Projects also offered a negative ground voltage regulator that takes the place of the cut out .

This setup has worked good for the past 12 years for me .

I will upgrade the rest of my model A collectiuon as the 6 volt batteries wear out .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #25
Kurt in NJ

I consider the generator more reliable, --- 45 years since it was last rebuilt, the 74 chevy with delco alternator has had it out 3 time for failure in 10 years less time--- I have halogen headlights, keep the charge rate at 14 amps, have a spare or 2 of bulbs that I haven't used, drive a lot at night and have been accused of hiding 12volts because it cranks fast---- belts last longer with the generator--- my spare is over 30 years old and never been used----
Proper restoration eliminates the need for most modifications
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #26
Purdy Swoft

I use the 35/35 watt halogen bulbs that fit the original style sockets .

These 35W 12 volt bulbs are brighter than original style 50 candle power bulbs .

I really can't understand why , but these bulbs don't dim at idle like other bulbs that I have used .

My JC whitney 6 volt ahooga horn blows strong on 12 volts and can be heard for a long distance .
Old 10-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

I also prefer the generator !!!

I rebuild my own generators .

If an alternator goes out it would just be a throw away for me .

I know nothing about alternators other than they can put out lots more amps .

If more amps are needed , the alternator is the easiest and best bet .
Old 10-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #28
Railcarmover
BANNED

Proper restoration cant make a generator put out smooth consistent voltage,its just like a properly restored stock engine doing 65 mph..yeah,it will for awhile till the center main fails,the generator will work but your components will ultimately pay the price,there is a reason generators disappeared 60 years ago
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Proper restoration eliminates the need for most modifications

Very true!
Old 10-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #30
Kurt in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Proper restoration cant make a generator put out smooth consistent voltage,its just like a properly restored stock engine doing 65 mph..yeah,it will for awhile till the center main fails,the generator will work but your components will ultimately pay the price,there is a reason generators disappeared 60 years ago
How long do you consider "a while ", since I did me first Babbitt job on my car I have been doing everything that is said to break it--- all day at 65, 3rd gear starts, lugging from low rpm, running halogen bulbs with generator charge rate at 14 amps, shifting without using clutch, constantly using full throttle---- it's been over 30 years--- how much more of "a while " will it take to break it??
What "components " will pay the price "?, I did have to replace the battery after 16 years, the halogen bulbs have 25 years on them and I drive a lot at night. The wiring harness?--- its probably original, I did have the brass tube on the idle jet crack---perhaps that is from going ove 50 on rough dirt roads

Last edited by Kurt in NJ; 10-26-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #31
Purdy Swoft

I haven't had a problem with any of the generators that I have cleaned up and repaired in over 20 years.

My model A's are not used for primary transportation .

I've got too many to drive every day .

Some have to sit for a while .

Still no component problems either six or twelve volt .

knock on wood !!!
Old 10-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #32
bdtutton

I run a 6v system with a large pulley alternator because i drive my car to work instead of a small pulley for parades. All my lights have been upgraded to LED to allow me to see and to be seen by others. I also have LED turn signals and an LED third light in the back window.
.....There are no problems keeping your car 6v....the problem is the other drivers on the road don't know how to deal with any car that does not function like a modern car.
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #33
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
How long do you consider "a while ", since I did me first Babbitt job on my car I have been doing everything that is said to break it--- all day at 65, 3rd gear starts, lugging from low rpm, running halogen bulbs with generator charge rate at 14 amps, shifting without using clutch, constantly using full throttle---- it's been over 30 years--- how much more of "a while " will it take to break it??
What "components " will pay the price "?, I did have to replace the battery after 16 years, the halogen bulbs have 25 years on them and I drive a lot at night. The wiring harness?--- its probably original, I did have the brass tube on the idle jet crack---perhaps that is from going ove 50 on rough dirt roads

Yep you have the greatest car ever built,your posts tell the story..and you never fail to toss in your superior skills..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote