Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2016, 01:45 AM   #1
Hotrodvideo

Default Old flathead too tight to run?

I have this 59a that was rebuilt decades ago, I bought it exactly like this, it has Johnson lifters and the engine turns over by hand but it's tight and hard to turn and the weird thing is that the valves are making a squeaking sound.

I've sprayed Marvel and PB Blaster in the lifter bore holes thinking they need lube but the eng is still tight. I also sprayed PB in the cylinder holes when I took the plugs out. It's getting oil, when I was cranking it, oil came out thru the hole in the back for the oil sensor.

Anybody know what's going on? Is this thing shot?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flat.jpg (84.6 KB, 77 views)
Hotrodvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:05 AM   #2
scooder

Default Re: Old flathead too tight to run?

It sounds like a valve and guide issue. Could be fured up with surface rust in the guide bores.
From your description of valve squeak, that's were I would look first. Your best bet is pull the heads and intake, this would zero in on the squeak.
That being said, if it's been "sat for decades" I'd strip the engine down for inspection, make sure all the bits that are ment to be shiny are still shiny. Could have fluffy crank journals, which could wipe out the bearings if not cleaned up, also fluffy cam journals and lobes. Also piston rings could be stuck in the ring lands, often happens, ally piston and cast iron rings like to become one if they've not been moved for that kind of time.
I think do this, see what's needed, fix that, a gasket set, then start it. I'm not fond of "get it running and pore oils of favour down the bores, and run it in the gas tank" if the engine has been sitting that long. Much more a fan of do it once the proper way. This way you know exactly what you've got under the heads.
At the minimum it's a gasket set.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Martin is spot-on in my book. It is a weekend job to tear it down and clean everything up. Put good quality assembly lube in the guides, bearings, bores, etc - new gaskets, then you'll be good to go. If you don't do it this way, you really risk damage to the engine and in the worse case, having to do a total rebuild. Also, write down all the details of what is in the engine, bearing sizes, bore, crank, cam, lifters - everything you can.

Take the time, fix anything that needs fixing and you'll have a great engine in the end. If you've never had one apart, then it will also be a great learning experience and you'll be confident of the state of the engine - instead of always having that uneasy feeling in the back of your mind.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It always seems a little dicey to me when folks are so h*ll bent on getting an engine that has been setting a long time to "fire up" without checking it out first! I would be much more concerned with damaging a good engine than the thrill of hearing it run.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote