Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #21
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: You and the AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
My agent sells a basis, plus and premium plan. The basic does not include flatbed without a surcharge and it is very limited mileage. I have a large collection of antique cars and I would not be without i.
Wayne

I purchased the Plus Plan but I still didn't see where a flatbed service was a specified tow type for any plan. Does the Plus Plan cover a flatbed?

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #22
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
I purchased the Plus Plan but I still didn't see where a flatbed service was a specified tow type for any plan. Does the Plus Plan cover a flatbed?
I think it does but you may want to check.

Also if you do load on a flatbed, don't let them tow it by the middle of the front axle-it will bend it. Also don't tow it that way if you give it a tow. Wrap tow line around front spring shackles. May others on the Barn know more about this than I do-have not had to do a tow yet but this is what I hear about the subject
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #23
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
We also have AAA. I have used it a number of times to tow my companies vans. It is good coverage.

Around here, you can request flat bed pickup which I would say you should get for an A. But, if you drive on long trips, remember to make sure you have cell phone coverage in the area you are going or you may be sitting along the road!

The other advantage is you can get maps, tour books, etc. from AAA at no cost. Very useful if you do some traveling. They will also plan a trip for you at no charge.
Verizon Wireless will cover me well for the area that I think I will be driving around in. 75-100 mile radius, from Quincy Illinois to points in and around St Louis and vicinity.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 01-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #24
31 Model A

Quote:
I think it does but you may want to check.

Also if you do load on a flatbed, don't let them tow it by the middle of the front axle-it will bend it. Also don't tow it that way if you give it a tow. Wrap tow line around front spring shackles. May others on the Barn know more about this than I do-have not had to do a tow yet but this is what I hear about the subject
AAA closed on weekends....................

That was something I didn't know and I doubt if all tow truck drivers know that either.

Thanks

Old 01-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #25
mshmodela

http://www.aaa.com Open 24x7 and when you get your card there is an toll free number for towing services etc. and they will get a truck to you.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #26
ronn

The Plus plan has become a bit expensive, but used to offer 4 free 100 mile tows here in NJ for around 200.
The regular plan only took you a few miles and is around 100. bucks a year.

I now use a towing plan through JCTaylor on my antiques that is only about 20. dollars a year and just takes you to the closest station.
My Geico policy on my regular cars does the same for about 20. a car per year.
Guess it depends how much driving you do with your antique................
and how many breakdowns you encounter.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #27
Y-Blockhead

Quote:

Good point Fred. I'm pretty sure SOMEBODY (not saying it was AAA) at some time before I bought my TS wrapped a towing strap around the middle of my front axle. Unfortunately they wrapped it around the tie rod also. Toe OUT anybody??
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #28
JohnLaVoy

As people ask what to carry on tours for spare parts etc. I always say only need two things...an AAA card with extended towing and a cell phone. You can fix it at home!
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #29
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
The Plus plan has become a bit expensive, but used to offer 4 free 100 mile tows here in NJ for around 200.
The regular plan only took you a few miles and is around 100. bucks a year.

I now use a towing plan through JCTaylor on my antiques that is only about 20. dollars a year and just takes you to the closest station.
My Geico policy on my regular cars does the same for about 20. a car per year.
Guess it depends how much driving you do with your antique................
and how many breakdowns you encounter.
I think the price depends upon the state. For Missouri, the Plus plan cost me $85.00. 100 miles each on four call out total per year. My Illinois county falls under AAA Missouri.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #30
48thames

I also have AAA and is great for DMV services too.
48thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #31
bill44

I have the top of the line Premier card. It has 200 mile towing, and I think it is well worth it. I have only used it once, and I specified a flat bed. You also need the MAFCA directory in case you are more than 200 miles from home. I would be willing to help anyone who called me, and I think most members feel the same way.
bill44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #32
Vic in E-TN

I have the premier plan. Last year I used it to tow my A from Meadows of Dan on the Blue Ridge Parkway to the next stop in NC at my motel. It was about 150 miles. I gave the guy a reasonable tip. I rented a car to get home and get my truck and trailer.

Two years before that my modern expensive car broke down outside of Nashville. It was about 180 miles from home on December 30. There was a football game in Nashville the next day and I did not expect to find a motel. The driver said that he accepted only cash - no checks or credit cards. I needed him to stop at the bank near my house to use the ATM. All was well at the ATM until his truck dumped a lot of fuel on the newly repaved bank lot. His truck would not go. I paid him for the miles and he called the AAA to get another truck to get me the next 5 miles. I guess that he got home before dawn.

I submitted the bill for the extra miles to State Farm. It took a few weeks but they eventually paid me most of the difference for the cash that I was out.

I would not be without AAA Premier.

Most of the modern cars cannot be towed on the old fashioned hook or by getting the front wheels on a dolly. They need to be flat bed towed.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #33
1931 flamingo

You can request a flatbed. You might have to wait a little longer depending on the service provider (AAA has few trucks of their own, they use local tow companies). Tipping is greatly appreciated by the drivers, some are hourly and some work on commission.
Paul in CT

ex tower, TRPC (CT) and WreckMaster light duty certified.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #34
CWilson

If you have your A insured through Hagerty it comes with free roadside assistance. You can upgrade to cover longer tows or to include all the vehicles you own.

Chris
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #35
Keith True

Every state is different.I have AAA plus,premier,and RV-motorcycle.150 miles free towing,two primary drivers on the policy,$151 per year.The first year we can only get the 10 mile free tow.After that we can upgrade.I did some AAA towing years ago.People would buy an old car 80 miles from home,register it,buy a AAA policy,and call to have it towed home.They nipped that practice in the bud.Here a wrecker is hard to find.EVERYBODY uses ramp trucks.I've owned a couple,and I still called triple A when I needed a tow.I never signed my truck on to AAA.The insurance is high and the pay is low.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #36
ian Simpson

I have CAA, the Canadian equivalent of AAA. Have had it for thirty years. Got a companion card for 'she who must be obeyed'. She does not have to call me when she gets a flat., which could be hard to do as I travelled internationally before retirement.

We were early into a new neighbourhood with lots of construction. She suffered many flats in our modern pickup over the last several years.

I needed it last year when my 1928 Tudor ate its timing gear while on a club run. The dispatcher suggested a flat deck without being prompted. The driver helped push the car uphill into my garage. He was happy to touch the car. Told us the on-duty drivers flipped a coin to decide who took the call. He won.

By the way, he knew exactly where to place the strap to haul the car onto the deck, and how to tie it down without damage.

Ian
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #37
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I have them and I've used them. I even abused the membership once with a Model A.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #38
James Rogers

I have AAA and would never travel without it. I fended for myself for YEARS and didn't know how dumb that was because I knew about AAA. I have the premium/RV package because I have a dual wheel truck and the non-RV package doesn't include towing dual wheels. I also use it for different things like flat tires, out of gas/diesel, keys locked inside the vehicleand, other things I haven't experienced but are covered. My coverage includes 150 mile towing 4 times a year. This means you can have a tow for 150 miles and get dropped off and call for another 3 more times to go 600 miles. This would get me almost home from many places I go.

AAA is one of the best automotive bargains anywhere.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #39
31 Model A

I upgraded to Premier...........I'm set!!!! We're offski to the gas station. I'm restricted to Show, Events and trips to a gas station with my plates during the winter months. I saved enough room in the tank to make another trip today!!!!!

Old 01-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #40
Ten1nis

It will pay for itself with discounts on lodging, food ect.
Ten1nis is offline   Reply With Quote