Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
BrianBurkert

Default Cracked block

My friend's engine has a crack in the block (see photo). There was an old repair, but the crack found its way around it. This is cylinder #3.

The engine is bored 0.060" over. Can it be sleeved and rebored to 0.060"?

This is a good running engine and he would like to salvage it if he can. Can it be fixed?

Coolant had been seeping into #3 and this is what he found. Pressurizing the cylinder with an air compressor made bubbles in the radiator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crack.jpg (66.6 KB, 196 views)
BrianBurkert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Cracked block

The crack can be pinned on the deck and a sleeve installed and bored with no problem. This crack looks simular to the crack that was in the engine for my rdstr pu. Be sure to have it magnafluxed as it likely goes all of the way to the valve and possibly could extend into the valve port. Rod
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
1930artdeco

That is exactly what mine looked like and I did just what Rowdy said.

Mike
Old 04-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Gerard

In my opinion Why gamble with crack repairs, magnaflux, etc. I would pull the pan and check , crank shaft , worn lobes on the camshaft, etc etc. you might come to the conclusion it's cheaper and safer to go for a complete overhaul. No gambles then and trouble free touring.
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBurkert View Post
My friend's engine has a crack in the block (see photo). There was an old repair, but the crack found its way around it. This is cylinder #3.

This is a good running engine and he would like to salvage it if he can. Can it be fixed?

Coolant had been seeping into #3 and this is what he found. Pressurizing the cylinder with an air compressor made bubbles in the radiator.
The crack has been plugged and a new seat installed. All it needs now is to sleeve the cylinder and rebore it to the same size as the rest. It could use the deck resurfaced after it is bored and the crack would never be seen. I have done many this way.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
BrianBurkert

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This engine has about 30,000 miles since rebuilt. It has always been a strong, smooth runner. We are going to pull it apart and check the bearings, etc. to see if it is worth while to fix it. If so, I found a local engine builder who can sleeve it. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
James Rogers

Quote:
This engine has about 30,000 miles since rebuilt. It has always been a strong, smooth runner. We are going to pull it apart and check the bearings, etc. to see if it is worth while to fix it. If so, I found a local engine builder who can sleeve it. Thanks for your help.
Brian, if you decide to repair this cylinder by installing a sleeve, I would bore the other cylinders to the next acceptable oversize. 30,000 is too much mileage to install a new piston on just 1 cylinder. If you install the old piston with new rings, even on all pistons, there will be an imbalance and the engine service life will be compromised. Without doing this, you may be wasting time and money.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
George Miller

Quote:

That was a very poor repair. It should have been pinned by over lapping each pin. Plus it should have been started closer to the valve seat, then all the way to the cylinder. Then put in a valve seat and a cylinder sleeve.
Yes you can put in a sleeve and bore it .060 over, but fix the pinning job first.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
BrianBurkert

Thanks again for your suggestions. I will relay to my friend.