Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2017, 11:47 PM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Wrong Forum

Ian, I think you are on the right forum if you want to learn about Early Fords with Flathead V-8's from a good cross section of knowledgeable folks

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #22
jimTN

Era mods (30s-40s) are fine. Garbage truck engines, Easter egg colors and mag wheels are notl.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #23
texas webb

Stick around Ian,you;ll not find a better early Ford site.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #24
TomT/Williamsburg

Look at my avatar - any/all of my cars technically will not fly here. But, when I have issues concerning a flathead or any of the stock drivietrain components, chassis questions, or Henry Ford jenny steel body questions, I post them here. We all have our loves, likes, and dislikes here - I just do not build restores but more period styled hotrods. What we are - all Ford fanatics in one form or another. So, your knowledge base is here for the items I mentioned.

For any "off topic" or discussions not in keeping with the moderators of this site, use the PM service to contact folks directly. We or at least most of the guys on this site would be happy to help for any question or issue you might have. We all love old Fords and flatheads in many, many shapes, sizes, and configurations.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #25
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1932 View Post
Guys, I realize after reading more "stuff" I probably chose the wrong forum. I do not have the money nor knowledge to restore my cars to exact originals. I just didnt want to disappear and not say anything...
Stick around and join in. We all have something to offer. Please post a photo of your Ford. We would love to see it.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #26
blucar

Fortunately we live in a free country and therefore we can have internet forums like the Ford Barn, the Early Ford V8 and the HAMB, to name just a few. Yes there are a few hard headed boneheads on this forum, and others who take the rest of us to task if we dare talk about, or suggest that we are using parts that are not original to our respective cars, however, the majority of us just go our marry way doing what we have been doing for how many years we have been fooling around with old cars.
In my case I have had my '36 Ford for over sixty-five years.. There is hardly a mechanical part in/on the car that is original '36 Ford. The mechanical parts vary from 1937 to 1948, all bolted together just like "Henry" intended. Henry Ford and Ford Motor were very good in making sure that the mechanical parts on the newer models would basically retro-fit to the early models, it minimized the size of the stock that the factory and dealers had to maintain.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #27
skidmarks

Amen..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Fortunately we live in a free country and therefore we can have internet forums like the Ford Barn, the Early Ford V8 and the HAMB, to name just a few. Yes there are a few hard headed boneheads on this forum, and others who take the rest of us to task if we dare talk about, or suggest that we are using parts that are not original to our respective cars, however, the majority of us just go our marry way doing what we have been doing for how many years we have been fooling around with old cars.
In my case I have had my '36 Ford for over sixty-five years.. There is hardly a mechanical part in/on the car that is original '36 Ford. The mechanical parts vary from 1937 to 1948, all bolted together just like "Henry" intended. Henry Ford and Ford Motor were very good in making sure that the mechanical parts on the newer models would basically retro-fit to the early models, it minimized the size of the stock that the factory and dealers had to maintain.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:59 PM   #28
Karl Wolf

Stick around... You're in better company than you thought.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #29
chap52

"Your" car, "Your" vision and "your" wallet. that's the bottom line. There is a vast range or folks who follow and contribute to this site. Hence you will hear lot's of ideas, thoughts and methods. We have one common thread, "Flatheads". We love them, curse them, call them all sorts of names and enjoy sharing the adventure.
Your in the right place. Ask, process the input, choose what direction you want to go with your project, and most importantly, "Enjoy the adventure". Welcome aboard!, Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #30
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1932 View Post
Basically, i have a ton of old 32 ford items. Some 5 of the same thing that have been collected by my father since he was just a kid. But, I have only 1 set of fenders. I wanted the fenders to go on the 5w coupe. I cant just go buy a set of steel fenders. So, with the roadster that i am restoring first i was going to paint the frame winter leaf brown light, which is what i wanted for body color. It will have a flathead V8, 18" cream wire wheels, and a drop front axle. Everything else as original as i can get it. I have a friend that told me that it will not fly here and youll catch flak...It doesnt bother me that this might be the case. I just dont want it to get to that point. I was just taking his word for it...
OK Ian. Let me take the heat off you. Here is mine with a 46 flathead, 41 rear-end, 39 trans. Sorry about the 27 body. This is the best forum you will find for old fords and flatheads. A lot of good people and information. Just my 2 1/2 cents
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big tire 1.jpg (76.8 KB, 35 views)
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #31
Seth Swoboda

Ian1932,

I don't have "a lot of money". I just have a love for flatheads and a will to learn and do what I can by myself. It saves me money and I get to learn and perfect a skill set at the same time. Many of my projects take years to complete due to a lack of a lot of money and time. So why not stick around share your experiences and we'll share ours. I think you will find that we here are not defined by who has the most money. There are some folks here with vast financial resources but who cares?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #32
chap52

Just "enjoy the adventure". Billy Graham once said, "I never saw a hearse towing a U-Haul."
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #33
RalphG

Yes, there is a lot of advice and inspiration at this forum. I joined initially for some support and advice on my 39 Deluxe, which is far from restored. After a few weeks on this forum it inspired me to drag the rusty 52 Merc out of the woods after a 35 year rest. And getting that old Merc back on the road has been the most fun I've had in years. Thanks a lot Ford Barn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc drone driveway.jpg (27.1 KB, 23 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #34
Low-Blow

I have not been a member here for too long, but would strongly urge you to hang around. I first came here seeking advice on an 8BA that I am rebuilding. I didn’t even have a car to put it in at the time. There have been so many people here who have taken time to answer my questions (which were probably elementary to most), provide honest input and make helpful suggestions. I have never once been made to feel out of place. Since that time, I have purchased my ‘35 Tudor Sedan. Now, I really have an appreciation for this forum and the great folks that make it up. Stick around, Ian. You’ll not be sorry you did! Oh, and a belated welcome to you!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #35
Bored&Stroked

This site is all about early Fords . . . and the Flathead V8's that power them. In my case, I love really high performance flatheads - what the young hotrodders were building from the late 30's until really about the mid 50's (and now in the traditional/vintage world).

I come to this site just about every day - I try to help others and I learn a lot along the way. The cars that you're building are a perfect fit for this site and we're really quite flexible across the board. Some guys build 100% original cars - but there are more guys with somewhat modified versions of early Fords - in all shapes and sizes.

I believe just about all of us would tell you your friend is wrong about this site - we're not super strict (or most of us would not be here). What we care the most about is a passion for early Fords and the engine that powered them . . . use your own ideas and make the car what you want and can afford, not what others think you should want. I guarantee that you'll LEARN a lot just by asking questions and reading about what others are doing - it is a fantastic site!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #36
oldandtired

I always liked the part of the song "Garden Party" that went something like, "You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself." I own a 37 half-ton stake street rod with an off-brand V-8. I also own a 37 half-ton that is as bone stock as I can make it except for things like the firewall insulator and good luck finding a floor mat. I have a 35 half-ton with a 37 engine and block off plates that is otherwise stock except for 36 gauges so I could use an electric fuel gauge and a non-Ford color that my wife liked. The 39 panel truck that is stock except for period rear windows(2) and 37 Ford Commercial promotional colors, although I might repaint it. I couldn't make myself paint the floor in the back that I replaced. Enjoy your project(s).
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #37
Anton Voycheck

Looks like the OP never came back.
Anton Voycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #38
tubman

He was on yesterday afternoon. I think he was persuaded that he is welcome and belongs here and went back to his original business and moved on from this thread.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #39
Ian1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
He was on yesterday afternoon. I think he was persuaded that he is welcome and belongs here and went back to his original business and moved on from this thread.
Guys, this thread can end. I just want to be clear that no one on this forum did or said anything to make me want to leave...I was just told by someone that unless im bone stock the site might not support it. Im going to continue to post these builds and those who are interested can enjoy the thread. Thanks!
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #40
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sounds good!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote