Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2019, 08:15 PM   #1
tubman

Default Drag Racing on a budget in 1962

Last March, "Ol' Ron" started a thread with a video of some old-time flathead drag racing. I posted a couple of times about a '36 Ford I raced in "D/Altered" in 1962. Some expressed an interest in how it was "back then". A couple of weeks ago, I had lunch with my partner in that car I asked him if he had anything left from our "Racing Days". Today, I received an envelope from him with some pictures and miscellaneous junk from him. There were some pictures, a bunch of newsletters from Minnesota Dragways. In case there is still some interest in this old crap, I thought I'd post some of what I received. The pictures are from 1961, before the car was completed. After we got it going, we painted it with red oxide primer, and had a friend who was a pretty good artist add lettering and numbers. I have also included a scan of a newsletter printed when we had won a trophy (11th from the bottom in the right column). I have also included a couple bits of paper where we were keeping track of what we had spent on our endeavor. Yes, That's right $20 for a complete "roller" '36 five window.

We ended up with about $200 in the car, most of that for safety equipment (roll-bar, scatter-shield, and safety hubs). We ran a '41 Merc engine with a set of finned aluminum heads and a Tattersfield dual intake. I honestly don't remember what we did for an exhaust. I made my own top for the "divers-helmet" so we could run a conventional coil. Best time was 16.44 in the quarter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Ford DA.jpg (28.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg MinnesotaDragways1.jpg (95.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg MinnesotaDraways2.jpg (62.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Receipts.jpg (24.5 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by tubman; 06-03-2019 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Add "jpg"s, remove "pdf"s.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Drag Racing on a budget in 1962

Can't get the links to work.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
tubman

Try again. The images came up the first time as "pdf"s. I just reloaded them as "jpg"s.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
RKS.PA

Great stuff!! While the $$ seems doable and great you guys kept some records, we need to remember how long it took to earn that cash in 1962!! Thanks for posting!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Last March, "Ol' Ron" started a thread with a video of some old-time flathead drag racing. I posted a couple of times about a '36 Ford I raced in "D/Altered" in 1962. Some expressed an interest in how it was "back then". A couple of weeks ago, I had lunch with my partner in that car I asked him if he had anything left from our "Racing Days". Today, I received an envelope from him with some pictures and miscellaneous junk from him. There were some pictures, a bunch of newsletters from Minnesota Dragways. In case there is still some interest in this old crap, I thought I'd post some of what I received. The pictures are from 1961, before the car was completed. After we got it going, we painted it with red oxide primer, and had a friend who was a pretty good artist add lettering and numbers. I have also included a scan of a newsletter printed when we had won a trophy (11th from the bottom in the right column). I have also included a couple bits of paper where we were keeping track of what we had spent on our endeavor. Yes, That's right $20 for a complete "roller" '36 five window.

We ended up with about $200 in the car, most of that for safety equipment (roll-bar, scatter-shield, and safety hubs). We ran a '41 Merc engine with a set of finned aluminum heads and a Tattersfield dual intake. I honestly don't remember what we did for an exhaust. I made my own top for the "divers-helmet" so we could run a conventional coil. Best time was 16.44 in the quarter.
thanks, tubman! The winner's list even had a guy from my little hometown of Sherburn!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:22 PM   #6
34fivewindow

This Willy's was built in 1962, with a 286 inch flathead, and ran D/gas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bing-5-187x187[1].jpg (12.2 KB, 37 views)
34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote