Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2019, 04:22 AM   #21
Pjneedham88

Default Re: Strange Holley 4000

Well, that may be an issue. Looking at this carb it doesn't look like the governor can just be removed and the ports plugged. I'm not entirely invested on using it if it's going to cause me issues. And my rear is 4.11 gears.
Pjneedham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #22
scicala

I guess you could try it since you already have it. You never know, it may fit your needs. If it doesn't work out, then worry about a replacement.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #23
Pjneedham88

I want to thank you guys for all the help. You've been great. I was actually apprehensive about asking about this carburater because one of the few things i was able to find on it was the nickname towering inferno and there seems to be many people with strong feelings against it. I'm very grateful to you guys for meeting my question with advice and information rather than ridicule.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #24
scicala

To me, the towering inferno stories were created by people that don't totally understand carburetors and heard the stories from someone else. Usually people that have never touched one. The teapot is not prone to fires more than any other carburetor model.

Sal
Old 05-18-2019, 08:36 PM   #25
Pjneedham88

I read, and I believe it was here on ford barn, someone said theyregulated theirs to 5lbs of fuel at idle and they never had an issue and that alot of the issue with this carburator is pumping more fuel to it than either the unit or engine can handle.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #26
scicala

5 PSI fuel pressure is a little high and more than needed for this type of carb, but should be able to handle it. The Holley spec is 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 PSI.

Sal
Old 05-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #27
KULTULZ

Post Re: Strange Holley 4000

Interesting read on the H4000 -

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-needed.50310/
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:34 AM   #28
Alaska Jim

Kultulz, Thanks for the link. interesting, good info.----Jim
Alaska Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:19 AM   #29
KULTULZ

Question Re: Strange Holley 4000

Hey Jim, while I have you here and this is off subject ...

You were looking for a dual four setup ACL. Did you see the oddity oldmics came across on another thread? It appears to me to be an open element FORD style?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #30
Alaska Jim

Kultulz, yes, I did see that A/C thatOldmics found. a while back I was kind of looking for one of the small oval ones. Oldmics, and Ted Eaton think that the carb A/C stud center to center distance is a little off ,if you use an aftermarket intake manifold ( I am using an edelbrock 2x4 intake ). This and the high cost has kind of put me off. If I was going to use it on a T-bird, that would be one thing, but it eventually would be going into the vehicle pictured in my avatar, and not sure I can justify the price for the intended application ( a hot rod ). Thanks for asking. If one could be found at a realistic price ( for me, cause I am cheap. ) I might still try one. --- Jim
Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #31
scicala

The only thing wrong with teapot 4000 and 2140 carbs is that they are harder to work on and get right than most carburetors. I think the horror stories (if all true) are from carbs not correctly serviced and possibly caused flooding. Any carb that floods has the chance of a fire after a backfire.

Sal
Old 05-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #32
Oldmics
BANNED

Heres todays asking price on the Ovals

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-1957-F...d=323805396689

And that price is JUST for the air cleaner - NOT the whole pictured setup.

Oldmics

Last edited by Oldmics; 05-20-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #33
56markII

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
The only thing wrong with teapot 4000 and 2140 carbs is that they are harder to work on and get right than most carburetors. I think the horror stories (if all true) are from carbs not correctly serviced and possibly caused flooding. Any carb that floods has the chance of a fire after a backfire.

Sal
I couldn't agree with you more on these Carburetors! The TOTAL BS stories of "towering inferno"😡 are nothing more than simpleminded garbage cooked up by idiots who know nothing, don't understand, can't read a repair manual, etc. and if they cannot get it working it's obviously garbage!! I don't find them any harder to work on than most and I got my start on these back in the early 80's with the father of these, the Holley 885 that is used on my 1950 Mercury Sport Sedan. As for towering inferno and pressure regulators, the only time mine on my 56 Continental Mark II flooded and overflowed was because I let my Mark II sit toooo long and the fuel varnished in the Holley with the float down of course. The needle and seat stuck like ANY OTHER CARBURATOR under the same given conditions! The only other little known glitch I have is a very slight barely noticeable flat spot off idle sometimes. My solution was to adjust the idle mixture leaning on the rich side but not too rich as to cause the typical galloping idle associated with too rich idle mixture. Others have mentioned this little trick as well I have seen on various forums. If your Holley has the square edged choke plates instead of round, as others mentioned this is the harder to find Lincoln/Continental Holley as Fords generally use the version with rounded choke plates making this type a bit more desirable to us Lincoln/Continental fans. in the case of my Continental, it is running a 368 big Y block and its fuel octane demands are VERY high. I see people in my MARK group attempting to run regular 87 octane with the timing retarded an extreme amount and this can also cause very lousy performance. Very lousy performance under these conditions, well then let's blame it on the carburetor😡. I have my ignition retarded a bit but 92 octane doesn't begin to keep the 368 happy for pinging so I use a good octane booster and 92 octane and this 5400lb car has fantastic get up and go. Complaints about the Loadomatic ignition advance? I have none and I pointed out to people who always want to convert the Holley in 56's to the 57 Carter and newer distributor, the distributor with both vacuum and centrifugal advance actually has 5 degrees less full advance! If a pressure regulator is required the needle and seat are probably tired and worn out. Did the float develop a tiny leak and is weighted down with a bit of gas inside? Is that spring missing under the float?
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #34
Alaska Jim

Oldmics, well that is certainly out of my price range for a hot rod. Not saying it is or is not justified given the rarity of them. This one is a reproduction. What would the cost of an original be? Like I said, I am a bit on the stingy side, but if I want something, I usually get it, and if I was restoring a factory 2x4 bird, I guess I would pay the going rate.--- Jim
Old 05-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #35
scicala

56markII,

It's nice to hear from someone that shares my beliefs about these carburetors.
I have also heard that raising the fuel level slightly can cure the hesitation on acceleration, but have never had the opportunity to try it.
I also agree that most performance problems are always first blamed on the carburetor before even checking other things like the ignition system for example.

Sal
Old 05-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #36
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
Heres todays asking price on the Ovals

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-1957-F...d=323805396689

And that price is JUST for the air cleaner - NOT the whole pictured setup.

Oldmics

The price for the air cleaner in that auction is probably about the same amount a new complete T-Bird cost back then. Pretty incredible. Glad I'm not in that league.

Sal
Old 05-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #37
KULTULZ

Question Re: Strange Holley 4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56markII View Post

I couldn't agree with you more on these Carburetors! The TOTAL BS stories of "towering inferno"😡 are nothing more than simpleminded garbage cooked up by idiots who know nothing, don't understand, can't read a repair manual, etc. and if they cannot get it working it's obviously garbage!!

As for towering inferno and pressure regulators, the only time mine on my 56 Continental Mark II flooded and overflowed was because I let my Mark II sit toooo long and the fuel varnished in the Holley with the float down of course. The needle and seat stuck like ANY OTHER CARBURATOR under the same given conditions!
Yes, but the trick here is that the other carb fuel bowls are not sitting directly over the carb throat.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #38
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post

Kultulz, yes, I did see that A/C thatOldmics found. a while back I was kind of looking for one of the small oval ones. Oldmics, and Ted Eaton think that the carb A/C stud center to center distance is a little off ,if you use an aftermarket intake manifold ( I am using an edelbrock 2x4 intake ).

This and the high cost has kind of put me off. If I was going to use it on a T-bird, that would be one thing, but it eventually would be going into the vehicle pictured in my avatar, and not sure I can justify the price for the intended application ( a hot rod ). Thanks for asking. If one could be found at a realistic price ( for me, cause I am cheap. ) I might still try one. --- Jim
The actual ACL I am describing is found @ POST #104 @ https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...25#post1752825

oldmics described it as unique and the photo shows (to me anyways) that the lid skirt does not extend as far down as the 57 ACL. It would allow the element to be exposed to outside air hopefully ingesting air more easily.

Maybe I misinterpreted what I saw and he described.

What model EDEL do you have?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #39
Alaska Jim

Kultulz, If I remember correctly, it is a 257, but now that you ask, I need to look at the eng. it is at my brothers shop about 50 miles away, along with my avatar. still have not taken the car out of winter storage. maybe this weekend. will let you know for sure then. --- Jim
Old 05-21-2019, 05:22 AM   #40
KULTULZ

That's OK Jim. Below is the sizing chart for the ACL fitment on differing systems.

The FM257 is basically the same as both the 56 and 57 FORD intake manifold. Hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-1957 FYB 8V CARB CL Specs.JPG (23.9 KB, 1 views)