Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
flathead48

Default Top of 94 carb

Bad threads on fuel inlet on 94 carb. Is there a fix or look for another top.
Thanks, Rick
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
nickthebandit

Default Re: Top of 94 carb

Look for another top.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
corvette8n

Try contacting Charly
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=1147
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
tubman

For this particular problem, getting a new top is the proper fix, since they are not hard to find. Sometimes this is not the case. "Loctite" makes an epoxy based thread restorer that works quite well. When I got my '67 Corvette in 1987, I noticed I had a leak at the thermostat housing. It turned out to be one of the thermostat housing bolt holes in the aluminum manifold was stripped. These manifolds were already getting expensive, much less considering the date-coding thing, so I looked for an alternative. I came across this Loctite product, and since it seemed to be well thought of, used it to repair the threaded hole. I put it back together, kept an eye on if for for a couple of years, and forgot about it.

Fast forward to last summer. When I had the engine rebuilt in 2006, they had not refinished the cast iron thermostat housing. I was doing a general clean-up of the engine compartment and decided to remove the housing , clean it up, and repaint it. After I did this and was ready to re-install it, I remembered the repair I had made. I looked it over pretty well, and the threads were still sharp and redefined, so I put it back together. I torqued both thermostat bolts to the specified torque and moved along. I expect that repair to hold for the next 32 years.

If I were to do it today, I'd probably use a "Time-Sert", but it's always good to have alternatives.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
Fred A

Luckily there is a flood of Holley/Ford/Chandler Groves carbs priced at less than a burrito. I like them but takes a ride to a vintage Ford swap to find them, so don't get caught up in finding the cheapest ones. I now take a close look at the condition of the chromate finish and buy the best cause they look great and there are fewer surprises. Too often the same question gets mired by those that recommend a machine shop solution, way out of scale with the simple problem. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
flathead48

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice .
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #7
Newc

Hi all; Remember the 94s with the float vent external above the float-- 39 dlx and crank mounted fan engines vs the vent in the throat of the carb. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #8
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Luckily there is a flood of Holley/Ford/Chandler Groves carbs priced at less than a burrito. I like them but takes a ride to a vintage Ford swap to find them, so don't get caught up in finding the cheapest ones. I now take a close look at the condition of the chromate finish and buy the best cause they look great and there are fewer surprises. Too often the same question gets mired by those that recommend a machine shop solution, way out of scale with the simple problem. Good Luck: Fred A

If you find them at a swap just buy two burritos. Might take a few to make one. I was at a swap in fl and came across a box of fuel pumps. Asked how much for two, he said take the box for 20$. Okay, done.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote