Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #61
moonraker

Default Re: tesla Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Here's one idea: Supposing one didn't have to totally rely on a recharging station, but rather had a small Briggs and Stratton type engine that would automatically start and recharge your battery enroute as needed.

You'll surprised but that's how some people in Russia drive Teslas - with a small gas-powered gen in the trunk. The problem is that charging stations are very rare, and if you you have to drive in heavy traffic while it's dark, cold and snowing, you'll get whopping 10 miles on a full charge LOL It's a real story of my friend who owns Tesla. A lot of energy is spent warming the battery, heating the cabin and operating lights, wipers and sound system. That's why the electobuses that city of Moscow is starting to use have a small diesel engine to heat the cabin and warm the batteries.
moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #62
moonraker

I totally forgot about real truck that it is used by Russian special police forces (something like SWAT in the US). It's been in production since 2014, originally called The Punisher but later renamed Falcatus.
moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #63
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
You, like the rest of the folks will start to call it a truck if that's what tesla calls it. Cut the crap marketing department, they are station wagons.

Hey Mike, if you read what I posted previously, "I can't call it a true truck" and "Not a true truck with a bed".

I'm not trying to create a argument because I agree with you on the surface. But I don't want to be misquoted either.

It was a ill fated conversion I proposed, I guess, that people also have very hard stances on. I didn't think people would have responded as passionately about it really. My bad.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-24-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #64
B-O-B

Nothing against electric but the design leaves a lot for the imagination. Reminds me of something you would purchase in a metal model for a small child for his star wars toys. Naw I wouldn't be seen in one.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #65
mfirth

Come on guys...enough already....Like a friend once said "i played with electric cars when i was a kid".....
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:50 PM   #66
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Ridiculous, talk about this POS somewhere else without polluting this site
It may be ugly, but that's only skin deep! It's looking more and more like the cycle is about complete. Early electric cars (around 1900-1910 or so) were far better than the gasoline or steam cars of that era. Gas cars were unreliable, hard to start, smoky and smelly (though not as bad as a horse) while steam cars took too long to build up steam and froze in the winter. Eventually the superior range of gas cars won out.
Same with self driving cars-the circle is almost complete. That is, a horse drawn buggy was self driving once the horse learned the way home. The "driver" could take a nap and wake up at home!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:25 AM   #67
Brian

Think it looks like an F 117
Old 11-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #68
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXFHgoon7lg I just want one of those tow straps.
Stop and think about this "test": level ground, steel wheels on steel track, tapered roller bearings on those steel wheels. Amount of friction to overcome? Very little! Rolling resistance? Again, very little! The only challenge is overcoming the inertia of a million pounds at rest. (Remember junior high school? "An object at rest tends to stay at rest, and an object in motion tends to stay in motion, unless acted on by an outside force.) Just a slow, steady pull will get those train cars moving. Maintaining traction would be the trick here. Any automatic transmission vehicle heavy enough could do this.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:36 AM   #69
Tinker

I like my flathead and I don't want it to go away. It's not going to fade. Maybe others will over time. Lot of old hit miss engines around that people have fun with.

Electric motors certainly has some advantages with power. There are no power curves. It's linear. Trains have been using electric engines from GE for a long time. But who knows.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-26-2019 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:59 AM   #70
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Forward thinking as technology gets better, same as in 32 when Ford introduced the Flat head V8. I have several ideas that have been floating around in my head for a number of years regarding electric powered vehicles. Here's one idea: Supposing one didn't have to totally rely on a recharging station, but rather had a small Briggs and Stratton type engine that would automatically start and recharge your battery enroute as needed. Supposing if this option were avalaible the battery capacity/weght/cost could be reduced to propel the vehicle and the engine could power a generator to accomplish this. This technology already exists. I'm sure many of you have a generator already. Do away with most of the fancy electronics. We already have deep cycle marine batteries that are rechargeable over and over again. In this scenario one could potentially have a vehicle that gets incredible milage.I remember clearly when I was a kid we could fill up the homebuilt minibike for a quarter and ride all day. That was when my Dad wouldn't buy gas if it was over 30 cents/ gallon. I have other ideas if anyone is interested in reading them.
Tomcarman, it sounds to me like your idea of a gas engine to recharge the batteries enroute was done 20 years ago. It's called a Prius! The Chevy Volt is another example, just two of many. Your little Briggs powered generator would have to run day and night and still couldn't keep up! Don't forget; deep cycle marine batteries are out-dated, ancient technology with very limited range and long recharge times. You need lithium-ion batteries.
And don't be too quick to toss out those "fancy electronics"! They're there to handle things such as transitioning between regenerative braking and the wheel brakes, balancing power output from engine or batteries, regulating charge rate, keeping the batteries cool, and much more. 1910 technology is just way too inefficient now!
Old 11-26-2019, 01:15 AM   #71
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Those electric vehicles could not be produced without energy from sources like coal, natural gas, petroleum products, etc. If Musk didn't get government subsidies he would be out of business. He's been riding on our dime for too long and we should not be giving incentives(tax money) to buy electric vehicles.

TJ, the consciences realistically to go "green" quickly (no fossil fuels) is nuclear power. Does make sense, but most of the plants we have were built 20 yrs ago. Technology is a gift and a curse!
Old 11-26-2019, 04:08 AM   #72
Dodge

Well, somebody likes them, they've taken 200,000 deposits for the truck as of today up
from 136,000 yesterday. Go figure.
Remember there's a butt for every seat.......
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #73
tubman

I was in the local ComCast office today, trying to get my cable TV up and running. They had their contemporary music channel on. Trust me, tastes for today are very different from ours. The music was stranger than that truck.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #74
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I was in the local ComCast office today, trying to get my cable TV up and running. They had their contemporary music channel on. Trust me, tastes for today are very different from ours. The music was stranger than that truck.
LOL, so true!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #75
OhioRick

ugly as hell but They must have the torque, balance and pull on that suspension figured out to a science. If anything, this will be used in future vehicles……

https://www.facebook.com/interesting...4160597701045/
OhioRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:57 AM   #76
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRick View Post
ugly as hell but They must have the torque, balance and pull on that suspension figured out to a science. If anything, this will be used in future vehicles……

https://www.facebook.com/interesting...4160597701045/

That AIN'T up-hill...that road is as level as the ocean. It only sorta looks up-hill 'cuz the photog twisted the camera as he panned.....sheesh! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #77
dumb person

They couldn't find an actual hill so had to tilt the camera a tiny bit? Fake.
Even if it wasn't fake i suspect going uphill would have a slight advantage i the trucks were of equal weight & RWD only.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:54 PM   #78
RalphM

I’m still waiting for the big EMP blast that will make all these new cars and puters worthless scrap. And I’ll still be driving around in my old Fords!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:20 AM   #79
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I’m still waiting for the big EMP blast that will make all these new cars and puters worthless scrap. And I’ll still be driving around in my old Fords!

Nope, you'll be pushin' those old Fords. When the big EMP blast trashes all the 'puters, none of your credit cards are going to make the gas pumps work, even if there was an operational electrical grid left to power the pumps, which NO...there won't be. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #80
RalphM

Not if I have my own gas pump and generator! But I would miss the Ford Barn terribly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56EC85F1-2C02-4E15-9E95-5BDB3A99E4D7.jpg (24.0 KB, 15 views)
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote