Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #21
artron9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington MA
Posts: 130
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Al Hook, thanks! The shop manual says there is a vacuum thermostat valve in the heater plenum as well as the heater control valve in the engine compartment. Merc Cruzer, my heater control valve is attached to the right inner fender. On the right head, there is a 45 degree elbow to which the 5/8 hose is connected.
This hose feeds to the heater control valve and from there to the heater core. Could this vac thermostat valve in the plenum be faulty? Could it affect the flow? Also, the blower does work but getting only cold air. Right now, thanks to you guys, the problem appears to be a plugged heater core. However, I'm still concerned about that vacuum thermostat valve in the plenum? But I think the consensus is that it should not have a bearing on the circulation?
artron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #22
leon bee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 443
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Did you ever hook hoses straight to heater core? I just went through this: got my heater all hooked up...........damn, blows cold air. So disappointing. I had the car in the shop idling, engine was up to temp. Kinda chilly in the shop. Only blew room temp air. I gave up and added that to the list I ain't figured out yet.

Next day a friend comes by, we take the Ford for a ride- highway speed. Had to roll the windows down, got too warm in there. Hoses straight to the core. So, I guess the water pumps might not move enough fluid with car idling? Big air bubble somewhere? Now to hook up the valve.
leon bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #23
artron9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington MA
Posts: 130
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

That's basically what I did but just cold air. Time to flush the core I guess! Thanks for the comment Leon B!
artron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #24
Merc Cruzer
Senior Member
 
Merc Cruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conifer, Colorado
Posts: 1,268
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by artron9 View Post
Al Hook, thanks! The shop manual says there is a vacuum thermostat valve in the heater plenum as well as the heater control valve in the engine compartment. Merc Cruzer, my heater control valve is attached to the right inner fender. On the right head, there is a 45 degree elbow to which the 5/8 hose is connected.
This hose feeds to the heater control valve and from there to the heater core. Could this vac thermostat valve in the plenum be faulty? Could it affect the flow? Also, the blower does work but getting only cold air. Right now, thanks to you guys, the problem appears to be a plugged heater core. However, I'm still concerned about that vacuum thermostat valve in the plenum? But I think the consensus is that it should not have a bearing on the circulation?
The heat control lever on the dash, just controls the amount of vacuum to the valve. Hence it can be fully open for max heat of partially open for less heat.

It would seem the easiest test would be to just disconnect the exit hose (the lower one) in the engine department and see if water is coming out of it. That will tell you if there is flow through the core. Since you have bypassed the valve, water should come out when the hose is removed.

As to the location of the valve, you can just take the 90 degree elbow out and replace it with the valve.

The valve could be faulty, sicne it is vacuum controlled. Try blowing through the valve. It should be closed, sicne the vacuum is used to open it.

You need to apply vacume to the valve to see if it opens. You should be able to put a small hose on it and see if you can open the valve when you suck on the hose. If it is hard to do then the valve is probably ok and you just need more vacuum.

So bottom line for now would be take the lower hose off and see if water come out.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #25
artron9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington MA
Posts: 130
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Thank you Merc Cruzer. I took the valve out. Cleaned it. Ran water thru it and it flows without obstruction. If I blow thru a tube it wont release air. If I apply vac to it, the inner diaphragm moves a tiny bit. I dont think it is any good. I still feel the core is plugged. I will move the valve to the head and remove the lower tube to check for water. Weather is against me right now. Wishing for a garage this Xmas?
artron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #26
artron9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington MA
Posts: 130
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Hi Merc
I thought the valve was normally open? How strong should the engine vacuum be.? It doesn't seem to be strong enough to operate the diaphragm. When I run water thru the valve it flows easily. My wipers are very weak as well. Any way, since I have bypassed the control valve, circulation seems to stop at the heater core since the exit tube is cold! I should have solved this during the summer!
artron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #27
Merc Cruzer
Senior Member
 
Merc Cruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conifer, Colorado
Posts: 1,268
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by artron9 View Post
Hi Merc
I thought the valve was normally open? How strong should the engine vacuum be.? It doesn't seem to be strong enough to operate the diaphragm. When I run water thru the valve it flows easily. My wipers are very weak as well. Any way, since I have bypassed the control valve, circulation seems to stop at the heater core since the exit tube is cold! I should have solved this during the summer!
I don't think the valve would normally be open, because you would have heat all the time. I was under the impression that when you applied vacume to the valve it opened it. I could be wrong though.

I would still be interested in what you find when you take the lower hose off. The cold will break soon, it is nice here today (Colorado), have the garage doors open working on my carb, in just a sweatshirt.

Another option is to remove the heater core housing and then you can touch the fins to see if water is getting through:

1. Remover the two straps connecting the housing with the fan housing.
2. Remove the 4 screws on the heater box. The arrows point to the two on
the top, there are two more on the bottom too.
3. Remove the heater core housing, exposing the hearer core.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heater clamps.jpg (45.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg heater core screws.jpg (45.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Lower hose clamp.jpg (43.6 KB, 11 views)
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:02 PM   #28
artron9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington MA
Posts: 130
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Your rubbing it in Merc! Ouch! Rain and cold here! I believe it is normally open for safety reasons. If a part of the system fails, the heater would still function to protect the passengers? If the exit hose to the block is cold that convinces me of a blocked circulating system. As soon as I can, I will backflush the heater core and I will replace the control valve. I think it is faulty. Thanks for the pictures. Those help me alot! I'll keep you all posted!
artron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:33 AM   #29
vilanar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 99
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Maybe it's already covered here but , hot water should go to the lower port of heater core and return hose to upper port . That way heater is always full of coolant and it will blow hot even when engine is at idle. If coolant is circulating .....
vilanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #30
artron9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington MA
Posts: 130
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Vilinar, you are correct! I appreciate your input as well as everyone else's! One of the photos may be labelled incorrect!
artron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #31
Rayfry
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Philadelphia Pa
Posts: 31
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Where does the vacuum hose from this valve go to and what is its purpose?
Rayfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #32
artron9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington MA
Posts: 130
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Rayfry: the vac hose goes to the vac thermostat valve located in the heater plenum. It is actuated by the heat temp slider located on the Magic -Aire controller at the bottom of the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel. It controls the temp from OFF-HIGH.
My heater problem is solved. I replaced my heater hoses in the engine compartment. I made sure all were routed correctly(thanks to you guys). I replaced the heater control valve (Rayfry) this is also located in the engine compartment. On initial startup, cold air continued to fill the cabin. I removed the upper exit tube from the heater core and primed it with coolant. That seemed to be the problem solver. If there is an air pocket somewhere in the circulatory system, hot water will not enter and/or leave the heater core.
By the way heat control valves can pricey. I found a new one on Ebay for $17.95. I'm sure it is imported but so are the $100 ones. I bought it because it looked exactly like the one I replaced even though it was listed for a more modern vehicle. Thanks again to all of you for your advice and continued support .Ron
artron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #33
Merc Cruzer
Senior Member
 
Merc Cruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conifer, Colorado
Posts: 1,268
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by artron9 View Post
Rayfry: the vac hose goes to the vac thermostat valve located in the heater plenum. It is actuated by the heat temp slider located on the Magic -Aire controller at the bottom of the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel. It controls the temp from OFF-HIGH.
My heater problem is solved. I replaced my heater hoses in the engine compartment. I made sure all were routed correctly(thanks to you guys). I replaced the heater control valve (Rayfry) this is also located in the engine compartment. On initial startup, cold air continued to fill the cabin. I removed the upper exit tube from the heater core and primed it with coolant. That seemed to be the problem solver. If there is an air pocket somewhere in the circulatory system, hot water will not enter and/or leave the heater core.
By the way heat control valves can pricey. I found a new one on Ebay for $17.95. I'm sure it is imported but so are the $100 ones. I bought it because it looked exactly like the one I replaced even though it was listed for a more modern vehicle. Thanks again to all of you for your advice and continued support .Ron
Good to hear, stay warm.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #34
artron9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington MA
Posts: 130
Default Re: 52 v8 flathead heater

Thanks MC!
artron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.