Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
Steve Ciccalone

Default MARC SD National Fine Point Winners????????

Will someone please post scores? Thank you.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
JoeWay

Default Re: MARC SD National Fine Point Winners????????

Got a call last night from Ron Rude's wife--Ron scored 460 for his Light Delivery and got a "MARC of Excellence" award.

Joe

Last edited by JoeWay; 07-02-2011 at 09:20 AM.
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWay View Post
Got a call last night from Ron Rude's wife--Ron scored 460 for his Light Delivery and got a "MARC of Excellence" award.

Joe
That is just fantastic and "awsome" as Jeannie Rude told me just 10 minutes ago!

Way to go Ron!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Steve Ciccalone

Terrific for Ron! Thanks Joe.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
dean from bozeman

That Light Delivery Pick Up was the talk of the town. It's unique, has a history and has been owned on by Ron since 1976. He is the 4th owner.

Ron, who was my roommate at Dan Diego this week, is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I get a kick out of it when you call him in the winter and he says that he just got back from shoveling his mom's sidewalk. She is 103 years old. At 83 Ron says that this is his last restoration but with that family longevity you never know.

For those who are into fine point restorations you know that the points are in the details: down to the nuts and bolts and every sentence that is in the judging standards. Ron chose a more independent route. If it was on his pick up truck when he got it that is what stayed. A good example is the gas line from the sediment bowl to the carburetor. It was a later addition but Ron kept it. So in a way, Ron's focus was on keeping the truck as he found it and not in milking every point. The fact that he got 460 points is a testament to his hard work and the quality of the restoration.

I applaud Ron, one of the finest guys I know in this hobby!

Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Brian T

Ron's a great guy, I am very happy for him, I spent a lot of time chatting with him, a wealth of story's and help, he was planning on leaving here this morning at 9.30, I should drive down there and congratulate him before he leaves, a well earned award.
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Roadster62

Is this the blue pickup with an after market body? If so it sure looked nice in the photos posted on the event. This is an honest question, not trying to cause a ---- storm, how does the club judge a vehicle with a Non Ford produced body (originally from the 28-31 era)? They deserve to be restored as thay are part of automotive history, but how do you compare one to a stone stock bodied vehicle?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
JoeWay

Maybe John Lavoy will chime in here when he gets home. John's family lived next door to (IIRC) the second owner, and John played on and in the Delivery when he was a kid.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Yes Joe is right, --John does need to chime in and tell his memories of this truck as he shared some of those with me out in San Diego. Very Cool!

Let me also add a little bit to what Dean said above with regard to Ron's truck. I judged two categories (Lamps on Tue evening, ...and Sheetmetal on Wed) and in both of these areas Ron lost some points due to his truck not matching specifically what the Standards mandate, --so his earned points really are not indicitive of how nice the truck really is.

Now let me also be really quick to defend his scoring from the opposite side of the fence. The Judging Standards & Restoration Guidelines are just that, ...a Standard and a Guideline. They are a "rulebook" when it comes to adjudicating Model A's. When the Restorer encounters items that are in 'conflict' with what the Stds say (as in the case of Ron's truck), then that Restorer asks the JS Committee for a "variance" to allow this deviation without any point loss. In the case of Ron, he did so ...but did it too late for the committee to be able to review his submitted documentation & proof and vote on it. Therefore to be fair to all vehicles in the show, what was written in the Stds is what his vehicle was judged against, ...even though we were all in agreement that what, --and how Ron had restored the truck was correct as it was originally manufactured by Ford and/or Kentucky body.

A couple of examples;
The rear fenders were 26/27 Model 'T' Haulage chassis fenders (not like what the Stds prescribe for.)

The rear tail lamp bracket was made by the body manufacturer in angle/flat iron as a body brace and bracket however naturally it was not shown/referenced in the Stds.

The running boards were Passenger car rubber-matted style instead of Commercial diamond tread style we are all familiar with. Remember this vehicle was produced in December of 1927, --prior to Ford releasing any commercial vehicles. Therefore the diamond tread running boards had not been released yet when his chassis was shipped so all they (the factory) would have had available to install was the pass. car type.

I could go on but I think you get the point, and I know Ron realized this about the Judging rules and he was a first-class competitor anyway. My point in writing all of this is it is likely that if the needed Variances had been obtained in time, his vehicle's score could have been 10-20 points even higher! That shows just how nice this vehicle really is!! Job well done Ron!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5014.jpg (56.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5036.jpg (62.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5015.jpg (59.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5182.jpg (60.0 KB, 123 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Is this the blue pickup with an after market body? If so it sure looked nice in the photos posted on the event. This is an honest question, not trying to cause a ---- storm, how does the club judge a vehicle with a Non Ford produced body (originally from the 28-31 era)? They deserve to be restored as thay are part of automotive history, but how do you compare one to a stone stock bodied vehicle?
Roadster62...

First of all...yes it is HOWEVER I would not consider it an "after market body".

Here is what happened...As Ford started producing the Model A/AA Ford in 1927, there were a total of 221 Phaetons, 269 "Runabout" Roadsters, 629 Coupes, 734 Sport Coupes, 1948 Tudor Sedans, 286 AA Trucks produced at Fordson (Detroit) and Kearny Assembly Plants. 3998 at Fordson and 188 at Kearny for a total of 4186 Model A's and AA's.

Of that number, 3998 at Fordson, it is thought, according to "Henry's Fabulous Model A" by Leslie Henry, 99 of those were just individual chassis with the cowl section only attached. These 99 chassis were sent to many independent body builders. In this case, Ron's A1276 was sent to the Kentucky Wagon Works for a independent body build.

Ron still has the original wood from this body and it was copied into what he has restored and in no way is this body style considered an "after market body".

I am sure we will all hear about it in a future issue of MARC's Model A News.

Pluck
Old 07-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Deluxe Delivery Don

Question??? Is Ron's Truck a 1927 A or a 1928 A ? if it is a registered 1927 Truck then why would it have 1928 Plate's on it ? Remember this is just a Question.
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
Steve Ciccalone

There were no 1927 Model A's, they were 1928's built in 1927. Job 1, it wasn't termed that then, and in my opinion was October 21, 1927 when engines 12, 13 and 14 were released from the engine shop per the log George De Angelis found. 12 was returned with problems and 13 was either scrapped or perhaps sent to another assembly plant, its not clear. Ron's engine went to the line on December 2, the same day oddly as my A1031.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #13
Roadster62

First of all...yes it is HOWEVER I would not consider it an "after market body". end quote.
Thanks Steve, Semantics are just as important in the Model A world as they were when I was active in AACA. I fully understand that Ron's truck is a restoration of an existing period built body, on the chassis it was sold on in 1927/28. This seams a bit like class 24a in AACA were you have to document the fact that the body was on the chassis when new. You or I couldn't build a twin to this body and have any hope of showing it in MARC or MAFCA, correct? I find all this current interest in the "1927" Model A's very interesting, hope it continues. Bob
Old 07-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
peters180a/170b

Ron was lucky...i did not judge his truck,,, i would of scored it more.. Bet he lost most points on upholstery... looking at the front seat...A VERY nice truck and RARE!!
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
John LaVoy

Joe,

It was fantastic to see that car finished. I have fond memories of playing as if I was driving the car since it was parked in the street next to my parents home in Oroville when I was growing up. I was really pleased when Ron got it and have watched it come together over the years. I know Ron was torn with the idea of painting the beautiful wood that car is made with, but the complete package looks great. I had a lot of fun telling people the story about the car in San Diego during the meet.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
First of all...yes it is HOWEVER I would not consider it an "after market body". end quote.
Thanks Steve, Semantics are just as important in the Model A world as they were when I was active in AACA. I fully understand that Ron's truck is a restoration of an existing period built body, on the chassis it was sold on in 1927/28. This seams a bit like class 24a in AACA were you have to document the fact that the body was on the chassis when new. You or I couldn't build a twin to this body and have any hope of showing it in MARC or MAFCA, correct? I find all this current interest in the "1927" Model A's very interesting, hope it continues. Bob
Why not? I would say yes it could be done with careful study of Ron's vehicle. The parts are there...one would just have to go looking for them.

Pluck
Old 07-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
Roadster62

I'd feel better knowing Ron's truck is unique and one of a kind. Building a twin to it would be the same as putting a Brookville Roadster body on an A chassis and trying to show it.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #18
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe Delivery Don View Post
Question??? Is Ron's Truck a 1927 A or a 1928 A ? if it is a registered 1927 Truck then why would it have 1928 Plate's on it ? Remember this is just a Question.
Don,

I think that by the time this Model A Commercial vehicle got out to California...it was very early in 1928 thus the 1928 plates.

Pluck