Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
1930fordor

Default Feed back wanted on wood kit

I managed to chisel out the old side rail with out damaging the rear corner rail. Still need to cut out screws. As you can see in the photo below the side rail can't slide in because the rear door tendon is to high. To do it properly it looks like the rear door wood should be removed. I'm little hesitant to do that not knowing what kind mess I would be getting myself into (hidden screws coming from the outside in behind the rear quarter panel, damaging the quarter panel etc....)

What I was thinking of doing is cutting out a notch in the finger so it will slide past the tendon on the door wood then screw in a new piece of wood to fill in the notch (see 2nd photo). Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks Doug

1930fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Feed back wanted on wood kit

Hmmmm.............

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
henry494

Doug, You know, everyone has an opinion, but I felt the need to respond to your post. Take it for what it's worth. And Brent, I'm very curious about your response, you're usually not so short with your words.

Doug, if this were my restoration, I would be removing those door posts and doors to do it right. Not only so that the wood is installed correctly, but even more, so that you get in there and take care of all that inside rust that is so glaring in your photographs. Ask youself a question. When you're all done with this restoration, do you want the knowledge that all of that rust lurks inside your sedan? Or, would you feel better knowing that all of that rust was removed and the sheetmetal is cleaned and painted like new, inside, as well as the outside?

Again, just my opinion, but I think that in the long run, you will feel better doing it the hard/right way.

Dave Lopes
henry494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
1930fordor

Thanks Dave, you make a valid point and I totally agree. The photo makes the rust look worse than it is and that is the worst spot on the car. There was paper behind a rib rail support that held moisture. My plans were to clean up the rust and give it a good coat of POR 15 for now. The car is going to be a driver while I finish my other cars. The car doesn't need much work, a coat of paint then drive it. The car won't see any rain and it will be kept in doors on rainy days until I can take it apart and do a frame off restoration. Besides my rotisserie is tied up right now............
1930fordor is offline   Reply With Quote