Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Chucks32

Send a message via AIM to Chucks32
Default Buy and sell parts

When I sell you a part, You can use it, resell it or do whatever you want. I have no problem with that. I bought a part for the full asking price, thinking i could make a few dollars on it. I did not say I needed the part or even made an offer, just paid full price. Now the seller calls me a snake and I have ruined the hobby! I guess we have to resell everything for the same money we paid or take a loss.

Last edited by Chucks32; 08-26-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Chucks32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Buy and sell parts

Caveat emp-tor!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
oldandtired

I frequently sell parts to hobbyists that tell me that they need the parts and are purchasing them for their personal use at a far lower price than I would normally sell the part for if I sold it at all. While the purchaser can state they paid the full asking price, they are ignoring the fact that we had a conversation about the intended use of the part before I sold it to them. It is a bit upsetting to give someone a very low price on a hard to find part that they claimed they needed to get their project together or back on the then see the part for sale by the purchaser at a significant markup.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Kahuna

I totally agree with O&T. I've had that happen on more than one occasion where someone says he really needs the part and then you see the guy just reselling it for much more.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Craig CT

It reminds me of an old saying "no good deed goes unpunished" Anyway it all works out in the end. Happy motoring, Craig.
Craig CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
skidmarks

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
i sold a guy a lot at wholesale price and he is piece mealing it out here and the hamb. i dont care, he paid the price i told him, but he has also invested his time in cleaning everything up. time is money.
i also know a few people that use the old "i need it for my project" and they are just hustling sellers into cutting the price and they turn around and sell it. ive also had dealers tell me, "how can i make any money on that, at that price ?" my reply was, "thats not my problem"
since the boom of ebay 10+ yrs ago, the old car hobby took a turn for the worse and the mega-greedy fallowed.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Mike in Mass

I have always been a fan of upgrading the pile O parts . I think I,m on my 4th rear fender ,,each one getting better than the one befor , I keep it simple, any money I spend "on" my truck stays "in" my truck . Any money I spend to get a part ,I might turn around and sell it to buy a better part, if I find one. I think I know what I,m tryin to say ? ? ?
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Mass View Post
I have always been a fan of upgrading the pile O parts . I think I,m on my 4th rear fender ,,each one getting better than the one befor , I keep it simple, any money I spend "on" my truck stays "in" my truck . Any money I spend to get a part ,I might turn around and sell it to buy a better part, if I find one. I think I know what I,m tryin to say ? ? ?
nothing wrong with that. it helps keep parts in circulation. one mans trash ect ect. ive done it with my cars. its when its a flat out lie to shake the seller down just to make a buck is low. ive bought parts that were damaged to fix parts i had to resell, but there i have invested time and money to fix something to benefit anothier persons project. most of the time its been stuff i salvaged out of scrap pile because i could see it being useful to go back on a car instead of being made into rebar for another chinese bridge or sidewalk
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
Buford

It seems to me, if a buyer and seller agree on a price for an item...the seller no longer has anything to say about how it is used. That's just me, an old retired Bodyman.
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
HOTRODPRIMER

Just laugh it off Snake! HRP
Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandtired View Post
I frequently sell parts to hobbyists that tell me that they need the parts and are purchasing them for their personal use at a far lower price than I would normally sell the part for if I sold it at all. While the purchaser can state they paid the full asking price, they are ignoring the fact that we had a conversation about the intended use of the part before I sold it to them. It is a bit upsetting to give someone a very low price on a hard to find part that they claimed they needed to get their project together or back on the then see the part for sale by the purchaser at a significant markup.

I kinda of agree with you, but I've learned over the years I only give deals on pricing to people I know, regardless of whether thier dog just died, cat got shot...etc.

Now if a buddy turned a profit on a part I gave him, I'd be upset too.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Frank The Plumber

If I listened to all that crying and stories I'd never make 2 cents, every sweet little old lady has a story about her operation, her cats operation, her sons joblessness, god forbid the cost of prescriptions. If you feel sorry for them it's your problem, the only person you can ever blame for taking in all that sweet honey coated sob is you. Try playing the sob story on your mortgage holder, or the cop writing the ticket, that's who you want to emulate. If on the other hand a person is a genuine nice person who does not play the sob games and BS and I like them and we mutually respect each other yet I feel they are in need, those are the ones who get help, truthfully, if you need that help you really should not be spending your nickels on car parts, so I rarely feel charity is deserved for car parts.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
FL&WVMIKE

Mike B. .............................
I have let some friends have rare parts from my personal "stash" for their projects, and when I see them sell their project as soon as it is done, it leaves me a little upset. I did not make the sacrifice of my parts, so they could make money on them. If I had sold them at "retail", it would not have made any difference.
From another MIKE B.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandtired View Post

I guess I missed the original post that your are referring to, but I would advise you not to sell at Hershey for if this type of thing upsets you'd freak out there.

For every 5 true hobbiest, there is that one snake in the grass. They give you some sob story about losing their job, wife, home, etc. and try to get to you give away a part to them.

Then as your walking around you stumble upon their spot and you notice the part you sold is now marked up 3X times what you sold it for.

When you ask them what's the deal, they all the sudden lose their memory too.

A lot of great folks out there, but every now and then you run into the kooks as well...
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
If I listened to all that crying and stories I'd never make 2 cents, every sweet little old lady has a story about her operation, her cats operation, her sons joblessness, god forbid the cost of prescriptions. If you feel sorry for them it's your problem, the only person you can ever blame for taking in all that sweet honey coated sob is you. Try playing the sob story on your mortgage holder, or the cop writing the ticket, that's who you want to emulate. If on the other hand a person is a genuine nice person who does not play the sob games and BS and I like them and we mutually respect each other yet I feel they are in need, those are the ones who get help, truthfully, if you need that help you really should not be spending your nickels on car parts, so I rarely feel charity is deserved for car parts.
Frank:

Right on!

Tim
Old 08-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
Cecil/WV

I sold a very rough bed and rear fenders for a '41 Ford pickup at the EFV8 meet in 2004 at Frederick, Md. I got what I was asking. Within 2 hours, it was sold again. That is what keeps the economy going. Would I have liked tom have gotten more?? Sure. Was I upset?? Nope!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
I sold a very rough bed and rear fenders for a '41 Ford pickup at the EFV8 meet in 2004 at Frederick, Md. I got what I was asking. Within 2 hours, it was sold again. That is what keeps the economy going. Would I have liked tom have gotten more?? Sure. Was I upset?? Nope!

Cecil:

The difference is you got what you wanted for it. I think what we're talking about is the dude that claims he battling cancer and has no money since the medical treatements have depleted his funds.

You foolishly feel sorry for him and cut him a killer deal on rare part. He then is mysteriously cured and turns around and sells the part for a big mark-up.

This is the nonesense we're talking about.

Only takes getting burnt once...
Old 08-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
36tbird

There's another type out there that steams me a lot more than the entrepreneurial types mentioned here. I know one who is flush with parts, many more than he needs for his projects. Although he whines about needing money, he won't sell any of his stash. I finally figured out what it is all about. He enjoys having the oneupmanship over someone who desperately needs the part for his project. Regarding this one particular person, it took me a long time to figure out this flaw in his personality. To me it definitely is not in the spirit of the hobby to hoard parts your fellow enthusiasts could use. Now that I've broken the code, I won't give him the satisfaction of showing interest in anything he has.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #19
Rowdy
BANNED

For awhile I was abit put off by a friend of mine that wanted to buy some rough A bodies to build ratrods out of. I sold them to him for nearly exactly what I had into them knowing they were worth more. He built the ratrods and sold them almost imediatly after their completion dispite him saying he wanted them for himself. Live and learn I guesse. When he wants parts now I make sure to make some money on them, but still keep it modest as occasionally he has parts I want. Doing bussiness with freinds can sometimes be abit tricky. Rod
Old 08-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #20
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36tbird View Post
There's another type out there that steams me a lot more than the entrepreneurial types mentioned here. I know one who is flush with parts, many more than he needs for his projects. Although he whines about needing money, he won't sell any of his stash. I finally figured out what it is all about. He enjoys having the oneupmanship over someone who desperately needs the part for his project. Regarding this one particular person, it took me a long time to figure out this flaw in his personality. To me it definitely is not in the spirit of the hobby to hoard parts your fellow enthusiasts could use. Now that I've broken the code, I won't give him the satisfaction of showing interest in anything he has.

I call these guys the "I gotta's" dudes.

Most of these dudes got 2 of every cool part in stashed in their garage, but not a car on the road.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 08-26-2010 at 04:30 PM.