Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
dan

Default Car pre-puchase inspection checklist

All,

I'm just about ready to start seriously looking for my first A. As is often the case in life, the more research I've done, the more I realize what I don't know. I've talked to a couple of local Model A folks about things to look for, but I feel like I need something more concrete than that.

Basically, I'm looking to figure out what types of things to look for so that I can avoid major repairs (at least at first). So I want to be sure the frame doesn't sag (check the doors, right), that the motor doesn't need a complete overhaul, etc. I'm qualified to do a bit of wrenching, but I don't want to have an avoidable major job/expense up front to make the car drivable/safe.

Does anyone know of a list of things to look for when buying an A? I'm going to be buying a driver, not a points a car so I don't think the judging standards would be much help. Has someone already compiledd such a list, or is this something I'm going to have to make up myself? And if the later, what things would you suggest?

While I hope to enlist someone more knowledgeable for a "final" inspection before money changes hands, I'm hoping that I can learn enough not to waste their time with cars that clearly have serious issues.

Thanks
Dan
dan is offline   Reply With Quote