Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2019, 04:31 AM   #1
Bruce of MN

Default Four Blade Fan

My '31 had a steel four blade fan on it when I got it. I've put a repro two blade aluminum one on as a precaution and making it easier to pull the water pump. Is the old fan worth keeping or is it useless?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #2
Bob-A

Wink Re: Four Blade Fan

From what I know four blade fans were service replacement parts from Ford.
I run one on my '31 roadster. Hang on to yours or use it for trading material.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
Joe K

Default Re: Four Blade Fan

Don't necessarily expect a lot from it as the four rivets are known to shear and the fan blades take flight into the backside of your radiator - or worse. So many are wary.

The fact that yours has survived this long under lighter faster passenger car service may be a recommendation.

Joe K
Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Hang it on the wall with a frame around it - instant "Wall Art".
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
Patrick L.

I like the 4 blade. I keep an eye on it and I think they work well. Plus I guess I've been too lazy to install the new 2 blade I had hanging around for a number of years.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I like the 4 blade. I keep an eye on it and I think they work well. Plus I guess I've been too lazy to install the new 2 blade I had hanging around for a number of years.
There are a couple of versions of the four blade. One has rivets, the other has bolts.

The riveted one can be a problem, the bolted not so much as they share a construction methodology of the time-concurrent J.C. Whitney two blade fan (actually a single blade) - which has the four bolts too.

Someone may have pix they can bring to this thread as the construction difference has been discussed here previously.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 04-11-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Joe K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
There are a couple of versions of the four blade. One has rivets, the other has bolts. The riveted one can be a problem, the bolted not so much .....J.C. Whitney two blade fan (actually a single blade) - which has the four bolts too. Joe K
Well there we go! I've travelled round Australia with rivetted 4 blade fan (possibly very old stock) no problem . But on the contrary the modern 4 blader bolt on (which has 2 arms on arms ) blades cracking on 2 seperate occasions and I refuse to use them- I suspect the blades are just too weak.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Well there we go! I've travelled round Australia with rivetted 4 blade fan (possibly very old stock) no problem . But on the contrary the modern 4 blader bolt on (which has 2 arms on arms ) blades cracking on 2 seperate occasions and I refuse to use them- I suspect the blades are just too weak.
As I said - it has been discussed. So have original fans - without resolution or clear direction?

I think that's why they call is a "discussion board."

Joe K
Old 04-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

More than you ever wanted to know about the 4 bladed fan. The 4 cylinder vehicles in 1932 used a 2 blade fan that was the same as the last configuration used for the Model A. In 1933 a new fan was released (P/N 46-8600). This is the fan listed in the Green Bible for 1928 to 1934 four cylinder engines. This use as a replacement by Ford explains why there are so many 4 bladed fans around while the production of 4 cylinder vehicles in 1933-34 was small (mostly trucks). The fans from Ford are riveted, the ones with bolts are aftermarket.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #10
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post

I will not run the reproduction 4 blade bolted fan. The blades are not stiff enough and they will flex and eventually crack and fail.

I have run the original Ford 4 blade fans for many years on my cars but I did recently have one loosen up the rivets.

It appears that there is an easy fix for this which I will do and would not be concerned with running it.

I recently purchased and NOS in the original box from Ford a 2 blade version of the 4 blade fan. Made exactly like the 4 blade fan but with only 2 blades.

If you are running an old fan, just be sure to not use one that is rust pitted or previously bent and straightened and check periodically for cracks.

Some like the plastic multiple blade fans but I do not run them as they do not look at all like something that Henry would have used on the Model A.

Again, this is Just My Opinion.

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 04-11-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: TYPO
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:01 AM   #11
Bruce of MN

Thanks to all for the advice, I won't toss it out.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Just remember that everything works until it doesn't. I have had a 4 blade fan blade let loose and it took out my radiator. Worked great until it didn't.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 04-13-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

I've had too many four blade fans sling a blade . The area between the rivets always cracked and caused the blade to turn loose when I used them . The original two blade fans are also very dangerous !!!!!!! I now only used the balanced aluminum two blade fans that are sold by most model A parts vendors . The aluminum fans look close enough to the original fans to fool some .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #14

When I wanted a new blade, my vendor told me to get the two blade. My radiator does not go above 160, so I guess it works just fine.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:35 PM   #15
al's28/33

The four blade fans were also common on Early V8's from 1932 thru 1936 and there are thousands of those cars still on the road and they travel at higher speeds and RPMS than "A"s and there are no modern replacements other than the 6 blade plastic fans. These Early V8 folks don't seem to have too many issues with blades getting thrown thru radiators and hoods. Maybe the "A" people drive their cars too hard.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote