Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
drezin

Default removing 35 radiator

Need to remove radiator on 35 coupe Do I just remove generator and distributor, or do I need to remove the grill
drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
AlexLohmann1

Default Re: removing 35 radiator

Removing grille makes it easier. Since you'll need to remove a bunch of screws etc along the side of the radiator anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
AlexLohmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
drezin

thankyou
drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:10 PM   #4
drolston

It's been 60 years since I removed a '35 Ford radiator to swap engines. I don't remember taking the grill off, but I do remember skinned knuckles and having to cut the lower hoses off, because they were stuck and there is little length for bending.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

I removed the grille and radiator from my (Avatar) '35 fordor sedan, about 12 years ago, when I replaced the original engine with another '35 engine that had just been totally rebuilt. I decided to remove the grille first and then the radiator. I can still remember what a pita it was to get the grille mounting hardware out first, and then remove the radiator. Then putting it back together in the reverse order was another pita.
Several years later it became necessary to remove the radiator again, but this time I tried a different approach. I removed the hood, hood/grille ornament, radiator support rods, all the fasteners holding the radiator in place. The four rad hoses, the cooling fan, generator, water pumps, outer distributor caps, plug wires and wire loom conduit as an assembly, and finally the distributor.
Then with extreme care, I Iifted the top part of the grille that goes over the top radiator tank, and tilted the top of the radiator back towards the engine, which freed the radiator, and allow it to be carefully lifted up and out of the engine compartment.
This may sound complicated and like a lot of extra work, but overall, this was easier for me than removing the grille first, and then removing the radiator, and then putting it back together in reverse order.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-08-2020 at 10:54 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote