Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2014, 02:24 AM   #1
Richard in Anaheim CA

Default Mafca ballot

I received my MAFCA ballot today with fresh names, and "reruns".

In Puyallup WA,This lady drives a Model A seminar attendees were not allowed to drive a Model A due to risk factors. In a huge fairground?

F.A.S.T. chapter with 1500 members has withdrawn their chapter application after not being able to obtain a MAFCA insurance certificate for a banquet. The name F.A.S.T makes it entirely too risky. That is about 10% of MAFCA membership.

These things have convinced me to vote ONLY for fresh, never been on the board before, candidates. The revolving board has, for years, not represented us members. Their restrictions are more stringent than the insurance policy.

By all means vote but think about what you are doing. Don't check the box because the name sounds vaguely familiar.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Mafca ballot

Richard
Well said, I think they should represent ALL the members not just a select few. some day the light will come on and by then it will be to late. John Hash
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

While I am not a member of MAFCA, I have served on the Board of a national automobile club, and here is my take. I personally feel that Club Insurance is 'overrated'. By that, what is the actual protection from? Most people do not have a clue what the policy covers but are always quick to say the club is insured. In reality, the MAFCA insurance only covers an Officer's/Leader's actions as it pertains to a MAFCA chapter. Therefore any insurance certificate from MAFCA or their insurance company that would have given to the F.A.S.T. chapter would NOT have been suitable to cover a banquet. Therefore were the B.o.D. really at fault??

In the instance of F.A.S.T., let them purchase a motorsports liability policy by their dues-paying members and/or the proceeds from event entry fees. If that is their only grievance with MAFCA, then all should be good. In the case of the National Meet event, I feel the Meet host(s) itself needs to purchase a blanket policy to cover the event's activities. Then amortize those insurance costs over all the event attendees entry fee. My reasoning for both of these groups is the costs of these exposures are being borne by the majority of club membership who likely have no interest in that event. I do NOT mean that in a bad or critical way, but only about 5% of MAFCA's entire membership attends a National Meet. That means 95% of the membership body as a whole would be having to pay for something they don't need/want.

We all need to remember that National Meets (-whether they admit it or not!!) are a 'for profit' venture. In my eyes, it would be different if MAFCA were receiving all of proceeds of the meet, but we know that isn't the case. The same applies to local clubs who host swap meets or events as a fund raiser. Again, the Nat'l club's insurance policy does not cover an event or its' participants from liability or accident!

To me, the bigger question you FIRST need to ask yourself is "what" is MAFCA's purpose for existence as it pertains to you individually?? Remember that 95% of the MAFCA membership are only members for receiving a magazine, ...and possibly the perception of promoting of the Model-A hobby.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Brent's last paragraph is in my opinion very appropriate. That in itself is my reason for not being a member. I see no actual benefit except a magazine as the closest chapter is 200 miles away.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
In reality, the MAFCA insurance only covers an Officer's/Leader's actions as it pertains to a MAFCA chapter. Therefore any insurance certificate from MAFCA or their insurance company that would have given to the F.A.S.T. chapter would NOT have been suitable to cover a banquet. Therefore were the B.o.D. really at fault??

Brent....Im sorry but that is VERY FALSE information. The insurance policy covers members and officers at any event held by the club or chapter from Liability or accidents. It is NOT only for officers but for all members and GUESTS that attend a Model A Event held by said chapter or region. It is very clear in the policy and if you call them you will be told the same thing..RE: the Mafca picnic where an individual fell down the stairs and was covered and she was a guest. So please take a look at the policy and you will see the same. It also includes a $10,000.00 no questions asked clause for accidents for members & guests.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Vicky

Regarding the Candidates on the MAFCA Ballot;
oops,
sorry,
I think I am on the wrong thread!
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Brent....Im sorry but that is VERY FALSE information. The insurance policy covers members and officers at any event held by the club or chapter from Liability or accidents. It is NOT only for officers but for all members and GUESTS that attend a Model A Event held by said chapter or region. It is very clear in the policy and if you call them you will be told the same thing..RE: the Mafca picnic where an individual fell down the stairs and was covered and she was a guest. So please take a look at the policy and you will see the same. It also includes a $10,000.00 no questions asked clause for accidents for members & guests.

Well 'somebody' is wrong'!! Go look at the July 2014 column:
http://www.mafca.com/pres_page.html

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Brent just talked with them yesterday on this subject and that was before I read the column. You can not have a policy that is subject to picking and choosing whom they cover. By ONLY covering officers it does just that, it cannot and JC Taylor will not....

Hope you are well!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
Larry Seemann

There are 2 types of policies discussed in the article: General liability covering MAFCA, all of it's chapters, and all of it's members for bodily injury and property damage. This type of policy covers you for "legal" liability meaning you're covered if a court would find you liable. The other policy discussed is"Directors and Officers" (D&O) which covers the officers for mistakes of judgement made in their "official" capacity. For instance: If a particular officer was supposed to arrange for that certificate of insurance for the F.A.S.T banquet and F.A.S.T lost money because it wasn't handled that policy would pay the damages.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
Richard in Anaheim CA

Well, It looks like this morphed into an insurance issue and a national convention issue. Most who answered aren't even a member of MAFCA.

My contention is the "revolving board" has restricted us members from large portions of traditional activities we have long enjoyed. The board is concerned about personal liability which does not exist. Can you believe a board member who has been on the board for "decades" with only a year off every 4 years?

If you start your Model A they feel they feel threatened. There are no more driving games, no driving a Model A for the Lady drives a Model A patch. Now even the name of your chapter strikes fear in their hearts.

I am sticking with my original comment. I will vote for only new candidates for the board. WTF (WHERE IS THE FUN) we once enjoyed? I believe inexperienced new board members will be an improvement.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
quickchange

Im with Richard on this one , The fun is gone or going ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
brito36

The problem is only going to get worse until the people and law makers demand tort reform. The sue crazy world that we all live in are making it bad for everyone. The Board of Directors is not the problem. A newly elected Board will also face this same problem down the road. Insurance companies have to limit activities to avoid liability. The club must abide to the insurance company's rules, or face being uninsured. If the club is successfully sued and we do not have coverage, no more club.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by brito36 View Post
The problem is only going to get worse until the people and law makers demand tort reform. The sue crazy world that we all live in are making it bad for everyone. The Board of Directors is not the problem. A newly elected Board will also face this same problem down the road. Insurance companies have to limit activities to avoid liability. The club must abide to the insurance company's rules, or face being uninsured. If the club is successfully sued and we do not have coverage, no more club.
And MAFCA has had to pay out 2 times if I remember correctly.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #14
P.S.

Richard- The more I think about this, the more I agree with you.

I belong to a couple of national clubs for my 'real' hobbies, namely model airplanes and guns. I do not consider the Model A a hobby, it is just a car.

Anyway, I developed a policy (when it comes to national clubs only) for voting only for those my age or younger. Unfortunately, there is nobody anywhere near my age or younger on the MAFCA ballot.

I feel like the national organization doesn't reflect my interests in the Model A activity, so I'll simply not vote. Figure it's best to let all the old people who live and breath this as their hobby decide who represents the group as a whole.

Mark Marone keeps trying to get me to join MARC, and I plan to send in dues this time. However, truth be told, it is really to make my friend happy and nothing more.

Wife and I sent money to MAFFI and even bought a brick. Building a physical museum is excellent, and we felt it did reflect our interest indirectly. We will continue to send money to MAFFI, but reluctantly to MAFCA and MARC.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
redmodelt

RE; Most who answered aren't even a member of MAFCA.
This is not the MAFCA forum so expect that non members will comment and may have some information in regards to what is being discussed here.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Most who answered aren't even a member of MAFCA...
No comment.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
Chuck Sea/Tac

How does a bob control what's covered by the insurance company?
I think you're frustration is misdirected.
I'm curious how much insurance/cost fast has to spend for an event.
Would you be willing to pay extra dues so mafca can buy speed insurance?
10% seems like a minority to me. Maybe mafca is representing the majority interests of the group?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote