Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2020, 12:05 AM   #1
zuburg

Default Replacing Teapot carb on 1956 T-bird

I’ve read a good deal about the benefits of upgrading to a 1957 or later carb or even a modern Holly or Edelbrock carb on the 1956 T-bird. Most of the talk was around the need for a new distributor and even an upgrade to the 1957 or later intake manifold.

I was recently advised about another way to gain the benefits of moving to the modern Holly/Edelbrock carb. I was told you can buy an adapter that allows you to install the modern carb to the 1956 intake (Larry’s T-bird parts has one). I was also told you can use the 1956 distributor, but only use the first vacuum (closest to the distributor) and plug off the second one. He says it will run fine.

Has anyone heard of this or better yet have experience?
zuburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
darrell

Default Re: Replacing Teapot carb on 1956 T-bird

nothing wrong with a good teapot.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Post Re: Replacing Teapot carb on 1956 T-bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuburg View Post

Has anyone heard of this or better yet have experience?
How is your concern(s) for keeping the BIRD original or wanting better performance?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:11 AM   #4
zuburg

I’ve heard that it is much easier to keep the modern carbs adjusted and running well. I am only looking for a decent driver, not a fully restored or show car. I thought that by keeping the correct intake and distributor and keeping the rebuilt Teapot for any future purchaser or if I change my mind, this could be a good choice. I am not an experienced mechanic and am figuring this out as I go along. The experience of fixing a lot of problems with this bird including new engine, transmission, front suspension, brakes, etc. has been interesting and somewhat satisfying, but I doubt I will ever want to go through this again.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Replacing Teapot carb on 1956 T-bird

!!! IMO ONLY !!!

If you are wanting a driver only and wish to retain its' re-sale value, I (personally) would stay with the original carb and LOAD-O-MATIC. If you go with a later style carb, you will have to go with a DUAL ADVANCE DIST design and finding a BIRD core w-tach is expensive. The LOM DIST can provide all the performance you need if set-up correctly.

You might want to talk with Sal here if the carb needs to be gone through.

Anything you remove from the engine (say water pump), retain for rebuild as matching numbers will increase the value.

There's plenty of help here so don't let that worry you.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
zuburg

Sorry, but the numbers matching ship has sailed a long time ago. I bought this bird as a driver without the original engine. I also found they replaced the original manual transmission with a Fordomatic (and of course not one from a T-bird). The worst thing was I found out the non-original 292 the owner told me was in it was actually a 239 Y-block from a 1954 car.

I’m trying to put it back to more correct components although not numbers matching. The Fordomatic came from a 1956 T-bird that the owner was converting to a C4. The engine is a remanufactured 292, but later than a 1956.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Red face Re: Replacing Teapot carb on 1956 T-bird

Quote:
Sorry, but the numbers matching ship has sailed a long time ago. I bought this bird as a driver without the original engine.
... hmmph ...

I remember reading that previously. So much for ADVANCED REMEDIAL READING COMPREHENSION in HS.

The only trouble going later tech with your application is the cost of a 57 BIRD DUAL ADVANCE TACH DIST. Other than that, you can do most anything (allowing for carb pad height/hood clearance). THE EDEL is plug and play for the most part.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 11-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
scicala

Yes, you can just use only the inner diaphragm on the dual diaphragm distributor, but any later carb will still supply way too much vacuum to the diaphragm on the '56 distributor.
The outer diaphragm is just used to retard the spark slightly under acceleration momentarily to avoid spark knock.
I also currently have three freshly restored Holley teapots that are correct for '56 if you are interested.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #9
55blacktie

You can get an aftermarket electronic tach-drive distributor for about $250+$40-$50 for a compatible coil, or you can get a new, replacement non-tach-drive distributor from an auto parts store for less than $100, and an electric tach for about $50.

It doesn't matter how original it is, if it doesn't run right. You will enjoy it more if it does run right.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Question Re: Replacing Teapot carb on 1956 T-bird

Nothing like a GM HEI DIST to set the appearance off correctly ...

This is a FORD SITE, correct?

If the owner has no interest in appearance/operation of the factory tach, here is an alternative - http://www.4secondsflat.com/Ford%20Y...stributors.htm

In reality, one could find a 1959 DUAL ADV DIST and add PERTRONIX II for a cheaper alternative.

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-26-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #11
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Yes, you can just use only the inner diaphragm on the dual diaphragm distributor, but any later carb will still supply way too much vacuum to the diaphragm on the '56 distributor.
The outer diaphragm is just used to retard the spark slightly under acceleration momentarily to avoid spark knock.
Sal
zuburg, the '56 Loadomatic distributors have no mechanical timing advance at all. The ignition timing advance is controlled only by a vacuum signal from a matching carburetor.
The vacuum signal for a Loadomatic varies from .5 to 5 inches of vacuum.

Later carburetors create a distributor vacuum signal with a range of 5 to 20 inches of vacuum. This vacuum signal is only used to 'fine tune' the mechanical timing advance created by a newer distributor.
The '57 and newer Y-block distributors rely almost completely on mechanical timing advance, created and controlled by moving weights inside the distributor.

The two systems aren't the same and don't play well with each other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg early LoadOmatic part 2 copy.jpg (53.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 57 dist weights c.jpg (88.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg TB, 57 dist advance weights.jpg (34.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-26-2020 at 04:13 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #12
scicala

Maybe I'm cheap or like things close to original, or a combination of both. It sounds like you have a good working Teapot carb already. Why not use that and make sure the distributor is up to snuff as far as the advance diaphragm, points/condensor and vacuum line connections to the diaphragm. This is basicly a freeby and the engine will run good. The Loadomatic is kind of a goofy system (who said there wasn't LSD in the 50's ?), and will work well when maintained.

Sal
Old 11-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #13
zuburg

OK, I’m convinced to stay with original plan to stay with Loadamatic dizzy and Teapot carb if or until I run into problems with the Loadamatic or Teapot carb.

I’m getting close to installing the carb. I wanted to get the Fordomatic linkage and accelerator linkage at least partially hooked up. I’ve figured where all the electrical wires need to go but several of them are dry and cracked so I’m going to splice in some new wire to each destination.

I also need to hook up the speedo cable to the Fordomatic but the last time I was under the car, it appeared the cable might be a couple of inches too short. To get this close I routed it directly through the transmission tunnel as it seemed to be the nearest path. I hope I can get it to move enough to get it attached to the 90 degree swivel.

Wish me luck.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #14
paul2748

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
nothing wrong with a good teapot.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #15
55blacktie

I discovered that my inherited 55 Tbird had a 57 distributor, when a new 55 distributor cap wouldn't fit. However, the original 55 Holley 4000 "Teapot" was still in place. Gil Baumgartner (Gil's Garage), CTCI member, restorer, judge, and retired USAF flight engineer, suggested that I keep the 57 distributor and replace the Teapot with a newer carburetor if I intended to drive my car. I followed Gil's advice. The Teapot can be modified to work with 57-up distributors, but I obtained a "B" intake manifold and Holley 1850 570 cfm carburetor. Takeoff parts were safely put away, but I'll probably never use them. Whoever ends up with the car, once I'm gone, might want them.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:30 PM   #16
paul2748

I had my tea pot modified for the later distributor
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #17
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
It's an easy modification to make on a teapot carb too.

Sal
Old 11-27-2020, 10:22 PM   #18
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
It's an easy modification to make on a teapot carb too.
Sal
How to... https://www.eatonbalancing.com/2013/...-distributors/

The difficult part is finding a good '57+ Tach drive distributor. Even the '57+ non-tach drive Y-block distributors (in good shape) are starting to get pricey.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-27-2020 at 10:39 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #19
KULTULZ

Post Re: Replacing Teapot carb on 1956 T-bird

If one is not concerned about 100% originality, a non-TACH drive FYB DIST (DUAL ADVANCE) can be used and there are electric tachs available to fit the 55-57 BIRD instr panel opening.

It is an option if the LOM gives problems (those mainly being someone knowledgeable in setting one up) and will give greater performance (even with the H4000). Just make sure you hang onto to it as they are valuable.

REFERRING URL - http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic154056.aspx

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #20
[email protected]

I put an Edelbrock performer 4bbl intake and a 4bbl edelbrock 650 carb on my 56 312 ci
y block and didn't change distributor. Very disappointing. Bought and installed a 57 ford dist. and timed up and HOLY COW. with the original auto tranny it would burnout in first and one loud squack in 2nd and a chirp into 3rd. What a nice surprise. My Tpot was beyond rebuild or I might have kept it.
jhljr44@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote